The Gig that wasn't

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Last night I had a double header, two gigs in the same night, or so I thought. My first gig was at 8 pm at The Bitter End at NYC. It's a cool club, we, Soul Disciple, were the first band to perform and had a good crowd about 30 or 40 people it was a really good show though we had some sound problems during the show. So I think yeah, things are going well, I'm all warmed up and pack up my stuff, get me a little something to eat and head over to the next gig which is at 11pm at the Lizard Lounge on 54th street a couple of doors down from the old Studio 54. I get there at about 10:15 and the crowd is kind of light. I checking out the band and discover that I know two of the members from SUNY Purchase, which is interesting because they're doing an R&B thing and they are all in the Jazz Studies department. So I say, wow this is cool, an opportunity to say hey with some cats that I've taken some classes with and have played with. The prior band finishes and our band is ready to go on when the band leader tells me that the owner isn't going to allow us to play because we didn't bring 15-20 people. :eek: Say What!? That's right folks, we lugged all of our gear there and you have to walk down a flight of stairs to get in this place to be told that we're not going to be allowed to play because we didn't bring enough people. Now, I've played places where the only people in the joint was the band and the people that own the place and got paid to boot. Here we are playing for free and we get dis'd like this, what a bunch of losers!
  2. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    I would probably stick some limburger cheese by a vent somewhere in the bar. The place sounds like it stinks. :spit:

You can really have fun with Limburger cheese. Just use your imagination.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Never try to play there again and tell every band you know. How are you supposed to get a following if you don't play?
  4. what is limburger cheese?
    in my country, The Netherlands, is a province called Limburg :)