1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Gigging Bassist - Weight, Efficiency, and The Crumpled Spine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alan Ace Cooper, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Alan Ace Cooper

Alan Ace Cooper Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Northern Virginia, USA - 13 mi
    Endorsing artist: Devon Basses, DR Strings, EMG pickups, Bag End Cabs
    Thankfully, my main gig usually requires just one bass and my In-Ear-Monitors container, but for some Rock gigs and other travel gigs, I take 2 basses, amp, cab, etc.. Pretty much all of my gigs are, pull up, load in, load out and pull off situations. Until.....

I had a string of events in the Boston area a couple of weeks ago which became an eye opener for what I was subjecting my body to. The place where the event was held did not have a direct load area, so I had to walk about 50 yards (45.72 meters) from vehicle to door, then probably another 30 yards from the door to the stage. On my back, or in my hands was my Mono Dual gig bag, loaded with a 9 lb Devon 5 string bass, a 9.5 lb Fender Jazz Bass, 2 Eyeland leather straps, 2 sets of DR strings, 2 15ft SpectraFlex cables, a small tool pouch (Gui-Tool, Needle Nose pliers, Wire Cutters, and a mulit tip Screw Driver), JH Audio In-Ears can. Attached to the bag was my Mono Tick, which housed my PedalTrain Nano board (TC BlackLight Tuner, BassWitch Clean Boost, EBS Uni-Chorus, LR Baggs Stadium DI, 1Spot). I vowed to weigh the combo once I got back home - On my bathroom scale, the weight averaged between 39.4 t0 39.9 lbs, depending on the overhang angle of the Tick. That's a lotta weight folks!

Anyone else getting these weight averages with their double gig bags or double bags with Tick or Pedaltrain additions?

MONOTickWeight.jpg

2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Recently I've been really curious about people are able to weigh their equipment. Is the bag perfectly balanced on your scale?

3. Alan Ace Cooper

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, at center-ish, that was the higher .8, .9 readings on the scale.

4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    The Mono dual is very heavy when both basses are in it. I sold mine and decided to just use a single bag and a single bass for most gigs. I just bring my backup in a hard case and carry it if I need one.

5. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Look into getting a rolling tool case. You can offload the heavier items from the gig bag (tools, strings, etc.) into the case. Kind of pricey but way cheaper than a back injury!

Alan Ace Cooper likes this.
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    2 gig bags with 5 strings axes.
    2 shoulder bags with all acessories and Class D head in each bag.
    1 2x10 cab.
    3 trips into the venue.

yodedude2 and Alan Ace Cooper like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Get a cart.

I can walk into any gig in one trip.

Sometimes that's with a bass and DI.

Sometimes it's with two basses, a box that weighs about 50 pounds full of extra "stuff", a pedal board and an SVT stack.

There are many variations in between.

I have three kinds of carts. One of them is right for the gig every time.

8. Alan Ace Cooper

Jan 6, 2004
    HA!!! After I thought about it, my bag felt like I was carrying a 2x10 Cab on my back!!:eek:

pcake likes this.
  9. My hand truck accompanies me to most every gig, Nothing gets you/the act in/out faster & healthier.. My current model is 15 years old, Funny as at many catering hall type venues folks want to "borrow" (steal) it.. I had one heisted prior to my current model at a golf course wedding in Ct. Annoyed the heck out of me.. I always need to lock it back up in my vehicle.

jefff100 and Alan Ace Cooper like this.
  10. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I use a single iGig bag with my bass, pedals and cables inside. I have my Tonehammer 500 in an over the shoulder bag, and a 25 lb. Aggie SL112 (or SVT210AV) in each hand. One shot from the car, and not too heavy at all. My back up bass stays in the car unless it’s a really far walk to the stage (on the off chance something goes wrong with my main bass, the band can always improvise a jam for a few minutes while I go grab it... or we can just take a set break a little early if were close to the end anyways). Two nice things about gigging with dual cabs... not only are they easier to carry than one large cab, but if a speaker blows or something, I’ll still have one good cab to get by on.

For large or outdoor stages, I prefer my V4-B (in a rolling hard case), and then it’s 2 trips from the car, but the tone is so worth it.

LUCE, tjh, portpc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Alan Ace Cooper

Jan 6, 2004
    I have a small, folding, handtruck that I paid $18.50 for at Costco 8 years ago. I can haul up to 150 lbs and stays tucked away in one of my Tuki soft amp/cab covers. I may have to start bringing it out for dual gig bag, electric gigs.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  12. I have no luck with those "fold up" models, they seem to self destruct in my presence..?

13. Alan Ace Cooper

Jan 6, 2004
    Hey B!!

Much of my problem is with being over prepared. I almost always take 2 of everything!!

The Bass Clef and mikewalker like this.
  14. Alan Ace Cooper

Jan 6, 2004
    @portpc :D One of the flip out legs is no longer flipping, so I have to hold one part down with my foot and then manually flip the leg out!

Old Blastard and yodedude2 like this.
  15. First trip:
    Bass in hard case in one hand, combo GK Amp in the other.

Second trip:
    Milk crate amp stand, (yeah I'm old school!), with cables, bass stand and other accessories, with brief case containing mic, extra strings, tuner, wrist sweat band, etc.

(Then I have the two trips to bring in the PA floor monitors.)

Alan Ace Cooper likes this.
  16. First trip in:
    I use a hand cart to carry
    - my Mono Dual bag with 2 basses.
    - my cooler bag (dinner in lunchbox, snacks, smoothies, etc) and
    - stage clothes (esp in summer).

Second trip:
    - 212 Cab
    - small suitcase (2RU amp, mini pedalboard, cables, etc) second trip in.

Bass stands: I have two MarkBass Bass Keepers that Velcro to the handles of my 212 cab. Brilliant things.

I take food to gigs coz of allergies, I cook better than the pub meals they do, they're much healthier options, plus saves a ton money too.

wmmj, Rattfink and Alan Ace Cooper like this.
  17. Alan Ace Cooper

Jan 6, 2004
    You had me at Smoothies! LOL!!! :roflmao:

Groove Doctor likes this.
  18. I went booze-free to lose weight and ended up staying off grog for two years. I got into the habit of having smoothies at gigs instead - ones a protein drink and the other is fresh juice. More energy at the gig, & stayed alert for long drives home at 1-2am.

19. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I'm carrying a bit more than you, but I also sing and I'm using my head as opposed to a DI pedal. We also keep extra of every cable just in case something goes dead suddenly.

I agree that hand carts are a lifesaver here. This one on Amazon is awesome and only cost $50. Throw everything on there and my Mono dual on my back. One trip in and out.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Shifte...&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=cosco+hand+truck&psc=1

20. I had a job where I carried 38 pounds of work gear on my body often for up to 12 hours a day, every day. I did this roughly for 15 years. It got to the point I didn't even notice the extra weight.

Because of this, basses don't really seem to heavy to me, nor would a case like that. I'm not bragging, or being condescending, I'm just stating a fact. In a way it's good, the extra weight at the gig really doesn't bother me at all.

On the bad side, I've got a semi-herniated disc in my back, but that's also from years and many miles on my body. It doesn't bother me very much, just every now and then if I turn or lift wrong.

I have a gator double bass gig bag with a few straps, cords, and nic nacs stored in it, and I never think twice about slinging it over my shoulder. I usually carry the gig bag, my stand bag (mic stand and two guitar stands) and my four space rack in one trip. I use a fold up hand cart to get the two cabs on the second trip. I never think much about it, and have been doing that for years.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020