Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The girly man tatoo thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I titled this as so just to hopefully spark a little more sexist trouble. :)

Truth is I am a, can you say pussy here?, when it comes to getting tattoos - and I'm about to do it for the 3rd time. If I can't work out my fears here - where can I, I ask!?!

1st - I had a thought - when I've had really nasty toothaches in the past, 2 aspirins would knock the hell out of that pain. It would seem logical that a couple of asprins should knock out the little pinching of a tattoo needle, ay? Anyone ever do this?? I think I'm gonna.... (I don't do drugs or drink anymore so don't bother).

2nd - this has got me concerned, and I mentioned it in another thread... I'm getting it on my inner wrist, and I'm one of the most vascular people I know. How will they be able to work over my lumpy veins and are they going to destroy and tattoo them??? I don't have much fat, it's pretty much skin and veins and I'm concerned about all kinds of crap going on. Should I insist they do the work with my arm upright??? It's the only way the veins seem to disappear?

Finally - I know sensitive areas differ on everyone's body, but the inner wrist is where mommies drip milk on themselves to see if it's too hot for the baby. Is this gonna hurt even more the Nerve! logo on my calf. :crying:

Please goof on me to no end - and then offer some inspiration. Thanks.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It will not destroy your viens, unless you get tattooed by a vampire.

It is sensitive, but (I have tattoo's on my inner wrists) not painful. It felt like a mild sunburn to me. I'm damn close to numb though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I would take the aspirin in advance. I bet it works.

edit: good luck you big girl. :)

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I've decided that between the shoulder blades is the WORST spot for a tattoo...

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    DO NOT take aspirin before getting a tattoo. It is a blood thinner and will make you bleed more. This can make it harder for the ink to get under the skin.

If the pain is that much of an issue, don't get another tattoo. Since you already have some, you know what it's like. If you have anything med-wise to put your mind at ease, that would help more than aspirin. THe most painful one I had done was on my chest.

The veins are beneath the lowest layer of skin. The ink should not go that deep. If you go to a reliable and experienced artist, it shouldn't be an issue.

Honestly, I do think you're being a bit too much of a girlie-man and should perhaps reconsider getting more ink considering you're afraid to get one when you've already done it. :p

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Me too. I like the drama though. I'm gonna do it, I just never go quietly.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The worst tattoo pain I've ever had was when I was getting work done on a spot over my collarbone. Nothing I wouldn't do again, but I was definitely happy when that part of the piece was over.

I don't have any advice for the pain, other than to take someone with you or talk to the artist. It'll at least go more quickly if you're distracted. Be careful to not take Asprin or Ibuprofin since they are both blood thinners.

Anyone have any pictures to show off?

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My tattoo is on my inner forearm and goes near the wrist but isnt quite there.

I felt a rugburn kind of sensation, so you've gotta be a major wuss to not be able to handle that.

If your tattoo artist has any kind of knkowledge, he should be able to tell you if an area is good or bad for a tattoo and whether you should elevate your arm or not. Its his job to know these things and he'd lose it if he didnt know how to properly tattoo an area as common as the wrist.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The guy who did most my work has a rather large Native American Indian on his rib-cage under his arm. It's only the outline because he couldn't take the pain and he has a hundred and some all over.

Eveyone is built a little different and although most people aren't quite as wimpy as our own Mr. Nerve here :)p), everyone handles it a little differently. Most, better I assume... :D

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have a tattoo around my wrist, actually quite close to the base of my palm (<1cm). It didn't feel great, but that's one of those situations where you just gotta suck it up. It still hurt less than the one on my chest, near my underarm. That sucked.

Again- no aspirin, no booze, no nothin'. :p Good luck.

10. i've got quite a few and i've under and over-medicated a few times.. whups.. :eyebrow:

BUT, if you can, of the artist has one, watch TV. as long as your mind is elsewhere, and not focused on the pain, you'll come out ok. i stopped taking things and switched to Jackass and Stev-O movies... you forget ALL about the pain seeing those fools. :eek:

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Good advice. Every place I've been to has had a radio, and that seems to help.

12. one of the best things i watched was some real violent graphic stuff. my pain was NOTHING. i was so sick to my stomach....hahaha... i've done action, horror, gory, whatever, but nothin beats the jackass crew for gross and funny.

however there is one videotape of some daughters of the soil, (trailer trash, female detention centers, contintuation schools etc..) where they fight until one gives up. the hosts drink whiskey and shoot guns and rate the women with beer cans.

sexist?
    yes.
    great for keeping the mind of the bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....etc...

yeah recommended. If you want the trash vid, PM me, i'll ask my artist...

13. dunharrow

dunharrow

Feb 22, 2005
    Minneapolis MN
    I second the no aspirin notion. Bad idea. I can tell when tattooing people if they took aspirin prior. You bleed a lot more and almost always will require a touch up, which means that you get to do it all over again. Wrists aren't really all that tender, and the pain is only temporary.

14. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Then you need to see Dirty Sanchez, the British equivalent... leaves Jackass in its dust in terms of gross-out stunts. Three insane Welshmen and one Londoner find increasingly inventive and nasty ways to outdo each other, usually involving blood and pain! :)

It's not out on DVD or video in the US, but episodes can be found sometime on Limewire, etc.

Russ :bassist:

15. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    tattoo's are for sissies ;)

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    If I told yas the tattoo I was gonna get you'd laugh. It's going to take about 20 minutes tops to do. I think I just like to whine sometimes - and actually wanted to mostly find out what people's take on the asprin thing is. I just gotta find the time now to do it. I'll post it when it's done.

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Is weed a blood thinner? Or maybe some kind of drug that will put you to sleep?

19. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    What about popping a pair of aspirin immediately after? If your piece will only take twenty minutes, you should be able to tough it out. If it still hurts after, eat them.

20. Most tattoo shops (or the ones worth anything) will not give you a tattoo if they can tell that you are under the influence of ANY drug, including alcohol...mostly for legal reasons.