The GK 1001RB thread.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    So I finally took the plunge and sold my ol trusty Shuttle 9.0. It has gotten the job done very well for several years but I'm officially moving away from micro amps. I just purchased a two month old 1001RB II from another TBer and had a few questions to get me started. Also if you just love these amps feel free to post that or any other info as well and be sure to post pics of you RB amp/rig.

I 've not played this amp though I'm familiar several other GKs so I'm not too worried. My primary tonal goals are clean marine and power. I run a full range custom 4 ohm 2x12 and one cone has a whizzy for the high end (I prefer this setup with overdrive) though I know the RB addresses that in a unique way too. I usually get my overdrive from an OCD V3 and not the amp as this works well with my pedal board. That being said I fair well plan to explore the Boost control as much as possible.

Exactly what is the Boost control doing?

My main question about the amp is how well does the FX loop work with a Compressor? I have a DBX 160A I run (all the time) and it only has line level inputs. I do have a DBX 163X (which has instrument level input but way less control) I could use if I had to but would rather use the 160A.

Also going from 9.0 to this amp what differences/learning curves am I likely to expect?

What in particular do you like about 1001RB and how long have you had yours?

How does the master work if your not using the 50 watt Hi amp side?

Post all the pics and 1001RB stories you'd like as the more the merrier.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Start off here http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...b040ef97cdb67a/1419972972899/700rb_1001rb.pdf

Boost adds harmonic content and does add gain to the master volumes.

The Effects loop is made for line level effects and effects return is pre Boost and master volumes (Woofer and Tweeter).

The tweeter amp has its own master independant of the woofer. It is only available at 2+,2- on the speakons.

Hi cut switches for the tweeter amp (you won't be using with your cab) roll off at 10KHz for more "cone-like response)

You may not want the Woofer high cut (Biamp) as it rolls off the main (woofer) amp at 5KHz.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hi B-string,

I should have stated I read the manual and a bunch of threads and did a lot of searching.
    I read a post where someone stated a compressor may not be optimum with the boost control?
    I think I understand the switch on the woofer control, which is a LPF set to 5k?

4. B-string

I can see a compressor interfering with the way the Boost circuit operates. You have other effects but explore the boost with the compressor in bypass to get its full effect.

Yes you have it correct, with the woofer "Hi-Cut" frequencies above 5KHz will roll off. Which may or may not affect the sound you are looking for from your cab. If you seem to lose "bite or air" in your sound make sure that switch is out.

Mike A likes this.
  5. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    The top end of my HF driver is 8k IIRC.

OK will play around with the boost when the amp arrives.

Thanks!

6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    It also rolls off before the DI in the "Post" setting. I found this helpful for matching my stage and FOH sound.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    That is interesting. I do not usually use a post setting for the DI though I suppose I might want to if I thought the Boost tone would be good into house. I'm guessing Boost tone is in the DI if it's set to post? I don't have a tweeter so I'm fairly certain I would not want to roll off any highs.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    My speaker cabinets roll off at ~5K, so that's why I don't want anything higher going to FOH. The 1001RB made that very simple.

9. B-string

Yes post is also post Boost control. DI post tap is right before the woofer master.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021