1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The GK Combo question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ausf, May 12, 2010.

1. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Okay, I just finished reading about 200 pages after searching and picked up a lot of great info, but also the more I picked up the more I got confused.

I'm 45, pure hobbyist with a crappy lower back. I love the GK sound, so I'm going Combo.

So, just between the MB115 and 210, I'm wondering about differences in the tone. I'm looking for that clean, crisp GK punch, I'm playing a Ray and probably won't be doing any gigging larger than small clubs.

I've read a few of you commenting on sound change after break-in, so I'm a bit leery about what I'd hear at a shop, compared to what you guys are hearing after a month of owning.

I do like the idea of expansion with the 210 and if there's little difference in tone between the two, I'd probably lean that way.

Please help lay this out, since nobody has them in stock until June, I want to decide so I can try to find a promo before then.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oddly enough I find the 1x15 to be a lot less boomy and more focused, with more available in the mids and highs for zing/aggression.

The 2x10 has a huge low end that never seems to go away. Not a fan.

3. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I've read mention of this in some store review bits. Thanks for the input, it's seems counterintuitive, but this is what I need to know.

4. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Just yesterday, I picked up a GK MB-210.
    I don't have a lot of analysis to give but, so far, I'm liking what I'm hearing from it - with my Marcus Miller Jazz, my Jazz fretless, and my upright.
    Remarkably full and loud, and feels pretty punchy. No "farting" so far. I compared it side by side with the Mark Bass 210 combo. Seems to be the consensus that the Mark Bass is more sturdily constructed, and more reliable. But from the standpoint of pure tone, I liked the GK better. I didn't have my upright with me in the store, though.
    Mind you, I'm a one-day owner, and I'm still finding out how much I'm gonna like it, or what I might dislike.
    Oh yeah, it's incredibly light, too - 33 or 35 pounds, comes right off the floor. I think the Mark Bass is about 44 (I've forgotten now). I'm all for lighter stuff, too - I'm 48, and I've experienced some back issues recently. Had enough of the two-ton equipment.
    One question, for anyone reading: Do you think it's advisable for me to get the extended warranty (through Guitar Center) or is the factory warranty likely to cover me well enough? I guess what I'm asking is ... do you think it's likely that the amp will crap out in the first couple of years?

5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I totally agree with rpsands except....the lows on the MB210 can be dialed down enough to sound great IMO. Also IMO, the MB212 is the best of them all. YMMV.

6. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Factory Warranty is Gold. Bob will take care of you.

7. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    I had the 210, and have had the 212. The EQ on these is pretty responsive and you can easily dial out the lows by turning down the bass on the EQ.

And the factory warranty I believe is 2 years and bob is all over these boards, so I wouldnt worry about an extended warranty.

With the 210 you would definately be able to gig small and even medium sized places. I cant comment on the 115. But I would try to see if you can play both of them at a local store. If the sound coming through them is the same, then take the volume and expansion capability into account.

8. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    yes, but the 212 doesn't allow for an extension cab, right? Not sure about this, but I think I read that recently.

9. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    They do take care of you. I bought from RMC Audio that was distorting really bad, even at low volumes. RMC left me out to dry so I contacted GK directly and they sent me a prepaid label and within a week and a half I received a brand new amp. Their warranty is only good for 1 year though. I don't know how their support is outside of warranty. At $350 (for the MB115) I'll be happy if I can get 3 solid years of performance out of it.

I use it for both upright and electric ('62 RI P Bass and Stingray 5) and all 3 sound really nice through it. I had a 1x12 Markbass combo that I actually returned in favor of the MB115 because I thought the upright sounded a LOT better through the MB115. I think GK is the most upright friendly bass amp out there before you get into the boutique stuff like Acoustic Image and EA stuff. The upright sounded like a** through the Markbass combo.

10. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, only the 210 has an out for external cabs.

11. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Bob was on another thread and said it was two years.

Good to know about RMC. They are the only ones online with it in stock and I was thinking about pulling the trigger with them.

12. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    GK warranty is 2 years according to Mr. Gallien.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8430861&postcount=180

13. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    I ordered my MB212 from MF (20% off sale) and had to return it for the same low level distortion issue. They sent a replacement right away at no cost to me.

14. Actually, RMC Audio said that the reason I didn't get my combo when they said I should get it the first time is because THEY noticed that both of the MB212's they got had that problem. They sent both back and gave me another one the next time their shipment came in. I'm guessing, KirkM24, that you may have gotten one that needed to be returned. Maybe after your ordeal they saw that there was a problem and then tested the one I ordered and saw that it had the same issue. Sucks that they didn't give you the same treatment.

15. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, I read your other posts regarding getting that amp. I had the same problem with a Fender Amp a few years back and they did the same thing, free 2nd day air on the replacement once UPS scanned the bad amp.

I'm hoping for a promo between now and June 11 when they are supposed to get them in.

16. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I think the bottom line is...you should play through them both if at all possible. They sound different enough that you will be drawn to one or the other tone-wise. The MB210 has the expandability going for it and the MB115 has a nicer price tag.

Hope we've helped you anyway.

Alan

17. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Have you considered the MB150S/112 with the 112MBX extension cab? 26 lb & 16 lb, respectively I believe those are shipping weights, allow 3+ lbs for packing material. Perhaps the MB112 with the 112MBX? I find 2 small clumsy boxes distribute the weight better & are easier to handle. FYI, the 112MBX is not ported, weighs 12 lbs & has a metal outer case. It sounds the same to me now as it did out of the box, 3+ years ago. :cool:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb_series.html

18. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Hey,

I really think you should seperate. The NEO cabs are plenty light. The 212 is like 60 pounds, I am 14 and weight only 120 and can carry it easily. It comes with casters and the handles are perfectly placed, as well as the distribution of weight so it feels like 20 pounds.

From my experience, the GK 700RB-II/1001-II + GK Neo 212 + Ray = perfect. I'm not a fan of rays but love it through this output.

19. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Thanks guys.

The wattage is a bit low on the Micros and my pockets aren't deep enough for 700RB-II plus Neos.

I've really narrowed in down to either the 115 or 210.

20. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    I would choose the 115.

Or you can always do what I did - wait until you DO have the pockets for it.
    Wait for your SamAsh or guitar center coupons in the mail. I used $100 off on my amp, and RMC audio 15% off on my Neo 212 cab, it came out to a little less than $1000