the GK sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schecterbassx04, Feb 20, 2006.

1. schecterbassx04

Feb 7, 2006
    ok guys, i need some help.

so im in a metal? band ...i think id consider us metal...maybe hard ok w/e thats not the point...
    point is...i want a new amp

right now im running a yorkville Bassmaster 200 combo...
    not bad 200w enough to practice in the basement, but at the gig...
    oh man was i not loud enough. i had some complaints.

my ideal sound would be a smile in graphic eq terms...i guess if u ever heard the band a7x my sound is really similar to that...super bass...super tin highs.

really, the best amp by far for that is a GK and i love how it sounds through there..

i need to figure out which one to get... price range is rly not there...

which one do i pick? 410? 115? 212?
    i dont kno. help me! lol.

and along with the GK head too...
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The GK sound is from their heads. I'd start there. Seems like a lot of people are using a 1001RB-II these days, and if I were to buy another GK, that'd probably be it. The Neo 2x12 seems promising.

I would also suggest changing your eq settings - you'll never get heard in a loud band with that sort of thing, unless you've got a massive wall of speakers and tons of power to push them.

Hope this helps.
  3. +1 on the EQ the old saying goes "You're EQ when you're alone is different from your EQ with a band and your EQ with a band will sound wrong alone"

As far as the gear goes, i personally play through a 1001RB-II to a 410SBX. I plan on adding a SBX115 later on though. I've heard many good things about the 1001RB-II/212 NEO set up and I've heard good things about it paired up with the suggestion would be to try them all out but I'd try to re-do my EQ before I went out and go a whole new amp just for the extra power.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get a 1001RB-II, and a 410. You'll be set with just about anything with that. I really don't think that they really scoop the mids as much as you think. The thing that brings a bass out front is the low-mids, and give it that bite to really catch your ear.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Unfortunately, your ideal sound guarantees that you will never cut through :meh:

The best you can hope for is to pummel the audience into submission. So get the biggest heads you can get, and the most cabs you can afford. Don't worry about tone, nobody will hear you, they will only feel the bass.

Or, flatten the EQ, maybe a bit of low mid boost. The GK is already a bright amp, so the highs are taken care of.

If the 200W almost makes it, I would recommend the 1001 as a minimum.

For the speakers, if you really like highs get the 10s. I prefer the 12s for more lows, but this is a personal preference thing.

And remember, at a gig, mids are the bassists best friend!
  6. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I'm very happy with my 800RB and my 410. It will definitly be enough and they sound great.
  7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I have a GK1001RB-II going into a Schroeder 1212... 700watts @ 4ohms strong. The Schroeder will handle 1000 watts.

Don't just look at your amp, think about what your speaker cabinet can handle as well. 700 watts just might get your sound out to the audience.
  8. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If that's the sound you're after then sheer watts and lots of speakers are the solution. Beat them into submission. The hell with music.
  9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

+1 on the 1001RB mark 2 head and LOTS of speaker cone area. Get 1 Neo 2 x 12 and (1) 4-10 cab.
  10. schecterbassx04

Feb 7, 2006
    thanks that helps. im not a fan of mids...but i guess i'll try it out...haha and i guess 212 and 1001rb sounds good...i'll go check it out now. and maybe a 410 sbx as well...
  11. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was never a big fan of mids either, until I tried fooling around with my sound. As long as the 1k is down, it seems to make things better. Mine more looks like this nowadays:

Less really low, more low mids, less mid, a little more mid high, and I roll off the really highs.