Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Gloss finish on the neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    When I play and its starting to get hot, my hands start to get clammy and swetty and the neck on my bass is glossy.. It gets sticky I hate that!... I was just wondering if i should sand the back of the neck down, so its smooth. The thing is I am afraid it will bring down the basses price down like a ton Since its an pretty much mint condition 1975 P-bass all orginal parts etc etc... Should I do it?

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Maybe you should look at getting a replacement neck finished the way you want. You could pull the original neck and keep it around if you ever decide to sell the bass and the original makes it worth more $$$. That way you have a neck the way you want it, and you haven't modified your instrument permanently.

3. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Holy ****e, forgot about that... Ok Im new to this market of necks, first off where would I go? Im thinking on the internet cause right now I kinda live in like a ghost town... :help: but ya I need a new neck for sure... those graphite ones sure look pretty niffty...Any Ideas? ohhh and would getting a new neck help my fret buzz go away :rollno: ?

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Warmoth has a pretty good selection of replacement necks.

As for graphite necks, I've seen some at musicians friend but they are kind of pricey.

5. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I really wonder why they would put a gloss finish on a neck thats just stupid. :rolleyes:

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my music man has an unfinished neck, its nice.

since i started to like it, i took the finish of my mexi p-bass and its perfect.

tho, im going out tomorrow to get an american p-bass, you wont see me sanding it down. i ntocie the finished necks play faster.

7. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    no glossy finish plays slower.

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    maybe for you.

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I"ve noticed the same, but I just wipe it down, no big deal really, I like the way the glossy neck feels too.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I hate glossy necks!!!!

11. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    me too i hate gloss finish

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you have an origianl '75, PLEASE do NOT sand the gloss finish off the back of the neck!!!! :scowl: I completley agree that heavy gloss finishes are no fun....they get sticky, gummy, and are not much fun to play on. But....we're talking about an instrument here that qualifies as "vintage" and also has collectable value. If that bass is all original and unmodified, it will only go up in value, and the number of all-original vintage Fenders isn't getting any larger.

The best thing to do is to keep a cloth or towel near by and keep your hands and the back of the neck clean. Wipe 'er down every couple of songs, etc. That should help a great deal. If it really becomes an issue, you might want to look at a replacement neck or another, more modern bass (or one that you can mod that doesn't have value as a collectable), that has a satin or oil finish on the back of the neck.

13. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    +2

14. I agree, oil finishes are the shiznit. www.warmoth.com has a ton of stuff in stock and also has alot of different variety in woods; im sure they have one with a vintage finish on it ready to go, that will fit perfect.

Also check out ebay and you just might be able to find one very similar thats not vintage, and sand that one instead. It could be quite a bit cheaper than buying a brand new one. Good luck either way; wish i had a vintage keeper like that.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I just got a better idea. This bass is from the 70's right?!?!

Well I remember the 70's having a nice smooth soft material that would be a breeze to slide around on. Just get some spray adhesive and cover the back of the neck with FUN FUR!!!!

Maybe bright Yellow or Lime Green or something similar. THAT should be one fast AND STYLISH neck!!!!

Can't say how it will affect the resale value, but I doubt it will help it much... :p

16. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I used to have a gloss finish on the back of mine as well. I'm in East Texas and play outside a lot. (same problem) When I had mine de-fretted, I also had the gloss removed from the back of the neck. Much better!

Future axes will have tung-oil or satin on the back of the necks.

17. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    I used to think that gloss necks were the worst, especially when I play rock shows and would be dripping sweat, but after a few shows I got used to it and realized that technique was the problem and I shouldn't be holding the neck so much and now I don't even notice the gloss. So maybe stick it out and the problem will go away. I say this because you don't want to mess with a vintage fender like everyone else is saying.

18. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I recently removed the gloss from the neck of my Geddy Lee Jazz. I'd wanted to for a while, then after a really sweaty rehearsal I came home and got out the sandpaper and steel wool. I didn't sand it down to the bare wood, just gave it a satin finish. I'm so glad I did it, the neck feels even better than it had before. I've had other glossy necks that never bothered me, but for some reason this one really bugged the crap out of me.

I wouldn't have done that to a vintage bass though. A Warmoth neck sounds like a good idea. It might help your fret buzz...then again, so might a good set up. If your frets are really worn, then a new neck would certainly help there.

19. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    Before stripping the finish, get the bass reliably appraised and insured on your home insurance.
    Honest appraisal should be under $50.

I was shocked at replacement cost for these 70's Fenders!

I've had good player with the 70's P-basses I had. Right now on my last one.

FWIW, I certainly agree that sticky necks are not fun to play. Seems oiled necks or light varnish are easier on the thumb. Poly finish may be sticky and your bass probably has it.
    I'd hesitate removing it.

For neck replacement check USA custom guitars.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ... I've had both kinds of necks, and I actually like the gloss necks better.

Does this make me a bad person?