The glue that glues????

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Will B., Mar 27, 2005.

1. Will B.

Will B.

Mar 11, 2005
    Still in search of a starter bass, I find lots of info such as what the body is made of, ply vs carved, fb material, neck material etc.
    From what I have read, it seems that the glue is one of the tickets to creating a long lasting and repairable instrument.
    Why is the type of glue used not one of the more important specs.?
    What glue should I expect is used on a bass under $1500?
  2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    You're right, the glue is an important spec. The only acceptable adhesive is hyde glue. In that price range, you can find them, and many that are not.
  3. Will B.

Will B.

Mar 11, 2005
    Is there any telltale signs from the use of hide glue? When I look inside the f hole of my Stentor I can see a shine next to the rib as if liberally appllied with a brush. Would this be hide glue?
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Carpenter's glue (yellow or alphatic or Titebond) is commonly used on less expensive instruments. (Sure, it's not ideal, but it does come off with a white-vinegar-soaked paper towel.) Hide glue is used in factory basses, but carpenter's glue dries quicker. It's a matter of time with mass-production.

I can't say what the glue is on your rib... epoxy is shiny, so is hide glue, and other glues.

There are instruments that have lasted many years with all kinds of glues. Joinery and wood choice (oh, and central heating :p ) has more to do with the life of the bass than anything else.