Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Golden Age of Psychedelia

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by charles21o7, Oct 4, 2004.

Golden age of Psychedelia: best album

Poll closed Nov 3, 2004.
  1. Seargent Pepper - The Beatles

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Oddessy and Oracle - The Zombies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Their Satanic Magesties Request - Rolling Stones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Surrealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. Pet Sounds - Beach Boys

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Piper at the gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Days of Future Passed - Moody Blues

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Mr. Fantasy - Traffic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Disraeli Gears - Cream

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. Alright, ive been getting into the psychedelic classics alot lately. So here is a list of from what ive read , were the most famous color rock bands out there. I , personally love each and every one of these albums, marvelous material. So i did not vote, i couldnt make a choice. So vote for your fave, and if you dont mind, tell why.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I voted Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow . Definitely one of my favorite albums ever. Some runners-up were Sgt. Pepper's and Mr. Fantasy.

It is really hard to choose as I could waste a day listening to all of those albums.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I never considered Cream psychedelic and outside of Pet Sounds and Odyssey and Oracle all those bands did some OTHER album which I would consider to be better, at least if psychedelia is the gauge.

4. Cream, overall was not a psychedelic band, but Gears was an extrememly psychedelic album, heavy fuzz tones and the indian type guitars . And i know better albums by all of those bands, but if you noticed i put " golden age" which was the late sixties, and these were the top selling psychedelic albums out there.

Also, i dont think the stones ever did another psychedelic album other than TSMR, if so please tell me.

5. I gotta go with Other, specifically Are You Experienced.

Some of the stuff Jimi was playing thirty-seven (!!) years ago still melts my mind today. His rhythm section (Redding and Mitchell) were no slouches either.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Where's Hendrix? Led Zeppelin? Funkadelic?

7. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    When I think psychedelic, I think the ones who did the Koolaid thing in San Francisco, and none of those but Airplane are listed. The best music (or at least my favorite) of this type, though, were by people who never did the chemicals... well, at least one of them. It took non-drug-addled musicians to make late 60's Zappa and Beefheart. In the less obscure, pop area, though, which is where most of the poll choices come from, my favorite by far is "Over Under Sideways Down" by the Yardbirds. One of those little masterpieces.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn, without a doubt. Syd Barrett was a cracked genius.

9. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Guru-Guru

10. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    led zep I
    beatles revolver
    jimi hendrix exp axis: bold as love
    her satanic majesty's request
    lots of live dead

:eyebrow:

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, I don't see the poll here - only melting colors
    (Floyd, Floyd, Floyd)

12. Surrealistic Pillow is good but I'd have to say my favourite Airplane album and psychedelic classic is After Bathing at Baxters, imo anyway. And where are the Dead on your list :eyebrow: Quicksilver Messenger Service also deserve a mention, their first two albums are damn cool

13. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Surrealistic Pillow all the way. Not that it's the best music of the time but "White Rabbit" practically epitomizes that genre/era.

-Scot

14. I apalogize for not including some of those artists on my list. While I was at work that day, i came up with a huge list in my head to include on the poll, but when it came to making it, my mind went blank and i forgot half of them.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes...and where's Headquarters?!?

;)

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and how 'bout Head as a movie/DVD nominee?

;)

17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

19. I've seen Head in a few different states, but it does nothing for me. I mean it's cool as "this is what we got going on right now" but it's like expecting Magical Mystery Tour to make sense.

I look at Psychedelia as that period of time from early to late 67. (not that anything outside of that time range is not psychedelia...) But I think of Sgt. Pepper's coming out at just the right time, June of 67, to catch the giddy, innocent, heady days of a new relationship. When young people were realizing there was change going on, drugs were fun and harmless, but before the bad side of the drugs showed up. When Turn On, Tune In were really cool, but Drop Out hadn't quite reached a literal sense.

Everything about Sgt. Pepper is so lush, and it still sounds lush today. Pepper is a fantasy world that you're taking a trip through. (no pun intended) That's why it gets my vote.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes, it is about stream of consciousness...& yes, I don't expect stuff like this & MMT to make sense. Make sense?
    ;)