1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Golden Middle? A question about string height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BullHorn, Jul 7, 2012.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I can never figure out how to set up my string height. What I mean is, my fretting hand obviously prefers as low action as physically possible but my aggressive picking hand prefers a medium-high action to avoid fret-clank.

How can I find that middle where it's low enough but not clanky? What do you heavy-pickers do?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Adjust each string individually to taste then if needed do a small tweak for string to string. The latter isnt needed in many case but once in a while I'll make a little tweak to a single string after doing each individually for the E-G balance. No measurement tools are needed just enough sense etc to play and listen and feel and adjust accordingly. If neck relief (minimal is best imo), nut slots done right, and no fret levelling needed its easy. Fret leveling for one or two frets is ussually the fix for basses that otehrwise cant get as low action as desired for 1 or more string due to one or more high fets for that string/s.

3. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    It comes down to technique. You either have to refine your whole technique, or identify which one is more important to you: fret ease, or pluck noise control. .
    Or rather, perhaps, which could you improve or control more? Fretting strength or right hand noise?

I personally suggest leaning towards tightening up the right hand.. It makes you a better, more controlled player.

4. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Thanks for the tip eddododo, I think you are right. It's always tempting to pluck more aggressively, especially when playing live, but I'll try to fight the urge.

5. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    gary willis has some cool thoughts about that; he leans more towards turning your quipment up more and using a softer touch just more in control

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Pluck/pick less aggressively. Your amp is there for a reason. ;)