Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The good and the bad from our gig saturday night.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by vegaas, Sep 30, 2002.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    We kicked ass with our show Saturday. I couldnt have been happier with our sound and performance. However, there were 2 things that put a damper on the evening.
    1) Fricking club owner. We were told we would be paid $250 plus the door. So we went with a low cover of charge of $2. Well, during the opening act we go talk to the owner and he tells he thought the agreement was just the door! We couldnt believe it. We agrued our case, but we were stuck. Next time we get it in writing. We never considered not playing, because playing is what we love and would do it free.
    2) We play in 3 tunings E, D, and dropped C. I have one bass for E and another for D that I drop the to C as well. Well our first set we play our D songs, and then we did a C song, so that bass is now in drop C. Then we do our E songs, in the middle of our last song for the first set my bass completely dies. Its not the battery, a wire must have come loose. I quickly take off the E bass and pick up my D bass trying to remind myself to move up everything a whole step. Well I forgot that it is in drop C tuning. So I am trying to remember 2 whole steps for the first string and 1 whole step for the other 3! Well I was a bit intoxicated, so needless to say I really messed up the second half of that song.
    Overall things went great, the crowd was very receptive to us, and as always we had a blast playing.
    If your in the Milwaukee area, watch for our next show.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is the final nail in the coffin of the argument that a four-string is a bass guitar. If you'd've had two five-strings on stage, even your drunken stupor wouldn't have been able to drag you down the slippery slope to suckdom. Get rid of those danged useless four-srtings.

3. The moral of the story??

Play country music... :p

:D:D

Merls

4. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Ever notice how many cats play 5 strings but don't really PLAY them 5 strings? And if they do play all 5 strings... ever notice how poor their tone is? Learn how to play the hell out of the four string- if you can't get enough beef look at your cabinet, chances are that 5th string will only mud up your tone. That said... learn how to play the hell out of a 5 string too... never know when you're gonna get forced into playing one! You also never know when you might have enough cash to really get the most out of a five string.....

5. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    come on guys. there's a time and place for everything. I think stefan lessard and oteil burbridge have both shown us that extended range basses have a place in this world and there is nothing wrong with jamming on a 4 string BASS. Now if you'll excuse me I gotta go practice on my 2 string for my morphine cover band

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sorry you had such a bum night, brother.

I had no idea you were in Milwaukee. I'll be down there on Halloween for the big GWAR show at The Rave. Come -- hang out.

7. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Cool Hategear, if your down here on the 26th my band is playing a halloween show.
    Let me know if you'll be in town, I'll give you directions. We play metal, so you should dig it.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sorry bro, won't be down there 'til the 31. :(

If you guys are all original (or if you have at least five originals), get a promo pack to The Rave -- they're always lookin' for kick-ass opening bands.

www.therave.com

Any other gigs to speak of?

9. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Well we are up to 3 originals, we did a demo not too long ago, it had 2 of our originals and then a couple of covers. Once we have about 6 we want to go back into a studio and a really kick ass demo. Then it gets sent to The Rave.
    Hopefully in spring.