Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The GOOD NEWS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Between threads about death, cancer, and damning people to hell, off topic has been a rather depressing place. These are all real life issues and things that are very important... well maybe not the townies thread... but please check those at the door... the door to this thread.

Now... :D

What's the news kids? Very general at this point, but I'm really falling in love with Jazz... Bop, Cool, Fusion, Weird... whatever. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing baby. :D

I wrote a metal song with my friend (he did vocals/sucks at vocals ;) so the song isn't that good, well the music rocks. But we are going to make the most outlandish music video ever. Blood, Things on Fire, Flaming Blood, Goats, Pentagrams, Vikings, A Blood Filled Pumpkin beings smashed by a Viking, Evil... fun times. All in jest, I'm not that evil. :)

So, yeah, what's going on? How are you keeping yourself sane, having fun? Any really cool stuff happen to you lately you want to tell us about it. It doesn't have to be that important, I'd just like a thread on here where people can get a few smiles/laughs out of.

I'm such a hippie. :scowl:

2. School isn't hard but it gets annoying towards the end of the semester and I'm obviously gettong fed up.

Still working and saving up for the rig, tempted by (and resisting, so far) instrument GAS at every corner.

Music-wise, I keep discovering new bands and broadening my horizons. I used to listen to the alternative radio station, and switched out in favor of the newly returned classic rock station a few years ago. Today, I switch between both, a local university channel that plays anything from jazz to death metal at different times of day, and even pass through the pop channels in case they might play Genesis or something. It's a good feeling to know I'll always find something enjoyable somewhere. Lesson of the day? If it ain't happening, make it happen. Find some smaller (or even close but out of town) stations that play what you want to hear. Or, avoid it all if you've got one of those shiny disk record player dealies in your motor car. ;)

3. I found out Motorhead is on the Spongebob Squarepants movie soundtrack.

I got a Y-wing in Star wars galaxies.

And, I got Brian Wilson's "Smile" on Wenesday! (How fitting)

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Good News?

I discovered the Bongo is the only bass I'll ever need. *crosses fingers*

My journey to upright has just recently begun. :hyper:

I just had an awesome session this week with a few musicians from my area, and in the process found the guy I'm going to take all my recording business to from now on.

I finally found out how "Me and My Bass Guitar" works! :bassist:

Edit: Oh and I met an AWESOME girl drummer! :bassist: x100

5. I can walk really far on my hands.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My jazz bass is amazing. I dropped in some dimarzios, and total pwnage.

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    (my attempt to ruin this thread for Matt)

Hey Matt, how are the holes in your wall doing? Still hate the neighbors? Tell them I said hi!!!

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I went to a party where all we did was listen to records and drink. Then I went to a comedy show. Tomorrow I'm going to a record convention and then I'm seeing Animal Collective.

I feel pretty good right now. Hurrah.

9. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Saw an intense 3 hour spoken word/slam poetry thing last night.

And my roommate is out of town this weekend!

And I picked up the newish saul williams cd the other day. Pretty damn fine, if I do say so.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just completed formatting my hard drive, and upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro. The only thing I forgot to save was my Internet Favorites.

-Mike

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My NaNo is going great, and I have taquitos.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Played another show with my new band Thursday night.

Good things about the show:
    Before the show, Roger (or drummer) said to Silo (our guitarist). "Hey, we haven't had a bad show since we've had Nick." and Silo heartily agreed by smacking Roger in the head and saying "Dont jinx us douchebag!"

It was my first show since last May where I was able to bring out my rack.

I didnt get too much beer thrown on my bass.

I only got hit once by a drunk moshing punk dude. No marks on my face when I woke up today.

The bassist (John) for the previous two bands came up to me after the show and showered me with praise saying I my bass tone was friken great and my playing wasnt bad either. We made arrangements so that he would bring the cabs to the gigs and Id supply the head. Since my guitarist plays in John's band and we play together a lot that means I wont have to carry cabs very often.

Both of my bands old bassist were there and the one who said he'd be ragging on me all night had nothing to say to me after the set was over. As John put it "I didnt think Pissing on Susie would recover from Tom leaving, but it has, and then some."

My friends actually came out to the show like the said they would.

13. My new band has our first gig Wednesday night.
    I holed out from the fairway for eagle the other day.
    That's about it!

14. One exam down, its 1 am and there is one hell of a storm around. I'm just waiting for the power to go out so I don't have to study anymore. Adaware has just picked up 360 "new critical objects". I sure hope the power doesn't cut before I get to delete those mofos...

Leigh

15. I'm not at fault for that accident I had on Wednesday.

I'm getting a raise starting at the end of the month.:D

We have three great bands playing at my concert tonight.

My sister turned 19 yesterday (I don't know if that's good, but she got Laugh In on DVD and I spent the last 12 hours laughing hysterically.)

Our new recording studio at the college is almost done, and is going to be fricken sweet!!

I may buy a new bass for christmas.:D

My fiancee and I are still very happy. Which is all I want to really wish for.:D

Rock on
    Eric

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    happy things in my life:

my partner and I (after the miscarriage) are growing even stronger as individuals and our relationship seems to continue to skyrocket. we are tree-huggin' liberal hippies that have decided to finally just get married, as well. although we won't be able to be parents of a child for a little longer now, we are happier, minute by minute.

i have been taking lessons from the the symphony's acting principal bassist for my arco technique - he is really, really cool and very, very open minded. i couldn't ask for a better teacher and friend. he is just so humble as well.

i have been learning 40 or 50 tunes for an "acoustic" rock group. i have to play my upright on this gig, every tuesday night. this will really help me get my intonation sounding better.

i have a really great Rottweiler named Jaco that is always happy to see me when i get home from the office or a gig. watching his little nub go crazy really makes me happy.

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Good news ? Yah.

On Thursday I had my first rehearsal with the new cover band I've been engaged in.

The musicians told me they were happy to have now a bass player who plays tight and has a cool mind. And they were stunned by my bass tone.

I also must admit I had been searching for such a job for a long time, and so I too am very happy finding them.

Cheers,
    JL

18. Half Life 2, Halo 2, GTA: San Andreas, and Metal Gear Solid 3?

It's a video game renaissance.

19. I found Jesus!!!!!!!

He's the Arabic guy at the convient store down the street who always standing at the Icee machine saying " Oh Damn these Icees , they never leave me in peace!"

20. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My singer dropped my 5 string and snapped the headstock off. This was bad for last weekend's gigs, but he agreed to buy me another, it got here Thursday and . . . I like it better!

We found the Dog Park last weekend and brought Binky there today. It was a dog party! I've never seen anything like it. There were like 30 dogs and their people and you just unleash your dog in the fenced in area and let 'em run and play together. There was a lot of butt sniffing. Binky was a bit shy because he never knew there were that many dogs on the planet, but he liked it and we'll bring him again next weekend.