Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the good product thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    over the past decade i've become increasingly cynical about corporate greed, the fact that my walkman and printer are built to bust in 2 yrs, and my belief that 99% of the products put on the market today are motivated by little more than a desire to make money and get rich.

that being spit out.... i'd like to take the time to pay homage to companies that seem to care, or at least put out a really good, top quality product.

Mr. Coffee

Over 12 years ago I dropped a whopping $20 on my Mr. Coffee machine. I've used and abused it every day now, sometimes more than once a day - don't even maintain it as they suggest you do - and the damn thing still makes me wonderful, steaming hot coffee - each and every day!

Ahhhhh.........

Tell us, who do ya love!

2. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    MY BUNN COFFEE MAKER....COFFEE IN MINUTE!
    w00t!

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my Craftsman drill and tablesaw...I abuse them and do no maintenance and they just keep on crankin'. Over 15 years on one and 10 on the other with no issues.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Honda Automobiles.

Minimal maintainence, great gas mileage, plenty of cargo room in my Civic Hatchback, and it's never let me down in 10 years now.

Heck, I've never even had a brake job done on the thing! :eek:

I do need to get the a/c recharged though, it's coming up to summer and another FL summer sans a/c is NOT on the agenda! :p

5. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I love my phillips stereo head-phones. They're inexpensive, fold to be easily transported, plus they shoot bass straight up your brown-eye.
    Then there's my minidisk recorder, very usefull if I want to take my music somewhere, but don't want to risk ruining or losing my precious CDs (touch and die!) Everytime I buy a new cd, I record it onto a minidisk (about three albums per cd). And with that I use a seperate pair phillips head-phones, the kind that go behind your ears.
    So I think phillips magnavox and sony make quality products, can I get a what what?

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Pioneer cd changer. Ive had this since .....well...I cant remember. Its at least 15-18 yrs old. It was my first cd player.

Peavey monitor speakers. My band has a couple along with a small power amp. They have seen it all and they are still going. Never blown a fuse, same cones and tweeter.

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I second that, Odie.

In fact in all of my years I've never ran across ANYTHING that Peavey made that wasn't top quality and nearly bullet proof.

Pkr2

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Snap On hand tools.
    Ingersoll Rand air tools.
    Small and Big block Chevy engines.
    TH350 and TH400 transmissions.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How many miles?? Over 90K?? If so, you're due for a timing belt.

10. i still have a kitchen table that was made when my sisters were 4 and 7. best one you will ever get. i had a microwave that lasted 13 years. the only reason it gave out is because it got ruined while being shipped back from germany to tenn. i was angry. best microwave ever. it was a sharp.

11. hogani

hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My Eddy Merckx bike. I have thrashed that poor bike, but it still works well.

I vote also for Mr Coffee.

Mike N - excellent catch on the timing belt. That would be under the "things you really dont want to break" file.

My old Powerbook 160 ran and ran and ran.

Good topic.

On Sharp, I am surprised the u-wave worked so well. I don't think they have any manufacturing facilities and everything is outsourced.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    :bawl: Such as the 396 and 400 tranny in the '71 Chevelle SS that just got sold out from under me! :bawl:
    We've had a cheap, crappy AT&T cordless phone for about 12 or 13 years now. Works just as well as when we got it. Good phone.

13. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Open pit original barbecue sauce- cheapest and best.

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    PEAVEY

and my trusty GE microwave...........PEAVEY

15. I second Peavey, and who could forget good ol' duct tape.:D

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    - i too own a honda civic - '89.
    don't have it long enough to comment, but so far, so good.

- i too own an ancient peavey amp that has been abused for over 20 yrs and still works wonderfully

- pignose people have been exceptionally nice to me, the owner of the company gave me his home phone number cuz i needed help with a pignose 40 before an upcoming camping trip.... fed-exed me replacement parts.

- technics reciever - about 25 yrs old, no problems, asn a realistic equalizer.

- subaru's last forever also

REALLY CRAPPY PRODUCTS
    as mentioned above

- sony walkmans

- epson printers (I was told they have a 2 yr lifespan and it seems true). It annoys me also that you can pretty much buy a new printer every time ya gotta change the ink cartridges cus it only costs a few bucks more.

- vtech cordless phones. had 2 of em, both crapped out after a while

- dodge caravans. couple of my friends have (had) them and they were BAD news

uhhh... that's it for now

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Doge Caravan- FOr me it went 150,000 miles with no problems. Then I had to get the head and trani replaced. But other than that no complaints.

Levys- The strap and gig bag maker. Met the owner in person. Gave a number to call and he hooked my up with an free extension for my strap. It has about 2 inches too short for me.

18. jitsoa33

jitsoa33 Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    lafayette, ca
    the wheel.

19. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    My Korg synth. That thing went through hell before I bought it and it's taken everything I've thrown at it since.

My Pioneer CD deck in my car has worked flawlessly for the past 5 years.

I have a Sanyo Turntable running through a Sansui receiver. They're both from the early 70s and my dad bought them new. They've worked fine since then.

My GameBoy Advance has been dropped, kicked, stepped on, thrown, and generally abused and it hasn't flinched.

Oh... and I have a Marlin rifle chambered in .35 Remington that was built in '56. That thing's seen all sorts of weather and action, and it still holds it's accuracy.

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You guys are right about Japanese cars. I've owned a Toyota, Honda, and Nissan at different times of my life. Each time, I kept the car for at least 8+ years. These cars are manufactured to high quality standards. I've never had any problems until the cars were about 5-6 years old. and those problems were to be expected at that age. Compare that to many of our friends who buy American cars, a good number of them have their car in the shop within 12 months.