1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Good The Bad and the Rockin'

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeffC, Aug 15, 2007.

1. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    I've had a really up and down day today. I'll set the scene....

I have my first gig this Saturday and today I got a crappy call:

The bad:
    I have been borrowing a Traynor bassmaster YBA-1A head and Traynor cab (2x15") and the guy asked for it back out of the blue today. :eek: :crying: :mad:

The Good:
    Our lead guitarist picked up the PA system today.

The Rockin':
    I called the local Long and McQuade and they have set me up with a Traynor Dynabass 400H amp and a Traynor XC808 (8 x 8") cab. It's costing me $45CAD for 7 days. I'm pretty excited, I'm not going to want to give it up I assume.:bassist:

What can I expect from this setup besides rattling the brains outa my bandmates?

2. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    If you play anything lower than a standard EADG bass, I'd be worried about the bottom end the 8x8 can deliver. Good find though!

3. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    Hrm, For what I am playing at the gig I should be fine then cause its all standard EADG. I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking at a rig of my own tho. Thanks

4. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I don't have much experience with 8" speakers though, so I suggest you try stuff out for yourself. You may find that they provide just the right punch!

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Good rental price. You'll really get a chance to give it a work out. The 8" speakers won't give as thick a bottom as some of the other configurations but you may not need that and probably won't want it for live use at higher volumes. Anyhow, the head is a real monster. You can make up your mind about the cabinet when you gig with it. It'll get you through the gig for sure. The Traynor/Yorkville stuff is amazing value and the warranty is great. And they're made by a bunch of hosers in Canada, eh.

6. failuresXbass

failuresXbass

Jul 19, 2006
    SoCal
    I play an 8x8 and so do a lot of other people on TB.
    I have never heard a complaint about lack of bottom end. I think you will love it.

7. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    +1, 8x8 cabinets have a LOT of low end in them, and can easily handle 5 string basses. I wouldn't be worried about a lack of lows.