Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Grass is Always Greener

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Last week, the g-string machine head on my SR5 was broken during its handling on a flight. That is working out alright, a nice person on the Ernie Ball Forums is sending me a replacement. It's just that for the next few days, my bass has been reduced to a BEAD four string, and I cannot help but think that in March I had two nice fives, a Peavey USA Millennium and a SUB5. I let these go to get an SR5 at nice price since my savings were a bit low at the time. This left me with a great bass but no backup. Ironically, I am making arrangements for a backup, but I won't have it for a while. The result was that all of a sudden, I wish I had the setup I had in March instead! Ironic, but after almost thirty years of bass buying, the grass is still greener on the other side. Either the one I had or I want is better than what I have. :rollno:
    Oh well, I'm sure someone else has felt this before.

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I feel your pain brother! That is really a drag. I'm sure you've realized that you should have kept the Millennium- a well-kept secret of an ass-kickin' bass! :smug:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You ain't lyin' Petch. I tried to get my Millennium back and the guy tried to ream me! Oh well, it's not like I haven't screwed up before.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    In my case, it wasn't a Millenium, but a Cirrus. Traded it for a MPG L5. Worst mistake I ever made, but it was long gone and I couldn't for the life of me find a replacement (couldn't afford new). That problem is solved right now, but I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Even worse, I just love my Geddy J, and really have no need for another 4 string J, but I have a great MIJ J in the works right now. Just couldn't pass up the deal, and it'll be a bit diff than the Geddy anyway. *sigh* I'm hopeless, and my bank account will never forgive me.

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    No matter how much you love the sound of your bass and your rig, there will always be a nagging suspicion in the back of your mind, that maybe you would sound even better if you added this or switched to that. It is an annoying affliction called GAS and you get it from reading this forum. :meh:

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, you don't always get it from this forum, but this forum always makes it worse. Tell me again why I keep coming back for more???? :help: :D

7. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Listen this forum is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I go to sleep thinking about how cool it'd be to play all of the basses that I read about here. Life is so wonderous.