Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Great Christmas Tree Debate (Real or Fake)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Dec 1, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well here's a statement that gets some people's blood boiling:

I prefer fake Christmas trees over real Christmas trees. :eek:

We bought a new fake one last night from Sam's Club. $112, easy 3 piece assembly and pre-lit with 1500 lights. Woo-hoo! No lugging trees around, cleaning up sap, picking up needles, unexpected fires and taking to tree recycling centers. Also, this fake one will last a long time. We always had fakes growing up because my brother was allergic and I've always liked them. Many people that see them often think they're real anyway but I don't care if they don't think it's real.

Do you prefer real or fake? If you prefer real then why? The only reasons I can think of to get a real one are nice smell when they're fresh or strictly for tradition's sake. Do you have any other reasons?

brad cook

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The last 2 years, I've been using a camera tripod for a tree... disgusting, I know.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dont celebrate christmas, bah humbug.

Wait, i mean real of course. Numpty.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    We always had real ones, purchased from tree farms.

5. I like fresh cut real trees. I like to let my kiddos pick the one they like best (really just my Daughter's say, as my son is only 2)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Me! I love real trees! Since most of southeastern Connecticut is basically a forest, you can get them from local tree farms for less than $20. Growing up, it was always a big happy occassion to go pick out a tree (it'd sometimes take hours to find just the right one), then decorating it when we got home. We had woods where our backyard ended, so we'd just toss the tree out there when it was time. I'm kinda sad that we can't get a real one this year because our 1-year old would eat the needles. We couldn't have a real one last year either, per the rules of our apartment in Ohio.

7. I jewish and I like a real big tree real tree :D

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It's gotta be real - there's nothing like going out finding THE tree (every year), cutting it down, bringing it in, seting it up, putting all sorts of ornaments on it and such. Makes Christmas what it is, spending time with family doing something we all enjoy. It wouldn't be the same if we went to the attic, dug up a box with a 6' plastic thing in it and dropped ornaments on it. And plus, I LOVE waking up smelling them mmmmmmm pine!

Ray

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Last year's tree...
    [​IMG]

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I live in the Northeast, I've always had real. Nothing beats the smell of a nice Fir. Mmmm, smells like Christmas it does.

12. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i'm allergic to real christmas trees :(
    they make me sneeze.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    lbanks,

Is that real or fake?

brad cook

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    It's a real fake..... and it cost too much.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Our family has been using a fakey for over ten years, It has indeed paid for itself. However, set up time is an hour or more.
    So, this year I am going to ask my wife: "Howsabout we just set up the stand and the pole, call it FESTIVUS! and be done?"

(secretly hopin' it flies)

16. We've always had real trees, and after we're done with them we either plant them or give them to a Boy Scout troop (along with the donation) so they can be turned unto mulch.

I'm happy to say that of the 6 trees we planted, 4 are still living and doing nicely. The other 2 got cut down when they buldozed my old house.:(

Rock on
    Eric

17. Very well said. :cool:

I like fake trees too because they're much less of a fire hazard. ;)

Mike

18. Agreed, but in light of that, My Family and I plant a tree every year on Arbor day. What we take, we give back, now, fourfold. :)

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Dude you have to get one of these new fakes. They are three whole pieces and the branches are hinged and just fold right up, also you can get them with the lights already on it. It's very fast compared to the old ones...which I truly hated setting up.

brad cook