The great EQ poll

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
  2. No or rarely

9 vote(s)
  3. Use mid boosts to cut through

6 vote(s)
  1. I usually boost the lows a tad... its really easy to overdo it on my bass though. I also boost the upper-mids for punch, and I adjust the highs just so I can have a sound without any clank, but with enough definition so that its not muddy.
  2. Yup. Ever since I bought a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ, I've been hooked. Think of your bass' sound as a steak, and the EQ as the salt, pepper and onions. I haven't tried a Sansamp yet, but, I think I'd like it. A few people have posted threads about not knowing how to get the best out of their amp. There's no secret, just sit down with your bass and play with all the tone controls; write down the settings if you have to. EQ whether on the amp or added in the line can make any bass sound so much better. If it's set incorrectly, it can make a great bass sound like poop.

Mike J.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I have a Peavey TNT 130. If I DON'T use EQ, my bass sounds like it's in a shoebox.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use EQ when necessary. Lately I'm mostly playing blues/R&B, so I stick to traditional tones which don't require much EQ. But for my alternative/rock/punk band I go for modern grindy kinds of tones, so I kick up highs, lows, and voice the mids to taste. I'm perfectly happy either way.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I boost the mids up, and keep the higs and lows at zero. A reverse smiley face. Workes wonders for me, my bass cuts much better through than when I used the smiley face.
  6. I use a ski-slope, going down from left to right.

i boost the lows, leave the mids, and cut the treble.

Due to the way my guitar player plays, i don't really want to cut through, just sit underneath him, and give my band depth that the audience can really feel.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've gotta ask why some people tip-toe around EQ like it's a hand grenade?
  8. Pete, I don't, I feel EQ is essential. Each room or venue we bassist play in, requires all the tools we have, to get our tone.

EQ is our friend!

9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I fully agree. Actually it was this fascination with flat EQ's that led to my Sig "Listen with your ears, not your eyes."

10. Yes and I have admired your sig line, it's the truth.

11. I agree. Add to that, the fact that every bass, amp and speaker setup has its own peculiarities ( and sometimes shortcomings ) and I think that it would be near impossible to find someone who does not need to tweak to get a sound they are happy with.
  12. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    On my active Ibanez 6-stringer, I like to boost a combination of low & mid EQ, but the exact "mix" depends on the amp I'm playing through and what the song needs (beefy low-end, mid-range punch, etc.).

Sadly, I can't generally get the "sound" I want without a compressor, since I like lots of low-end, but play a 6-string. With lots of low-EQ, the low strings BOOM and the high strings are muffled.

The best players suggest "it's all in the fingers" (no stinkin' compressor needed!), but I'm not among the best players...
  13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i use my on-board pre's

i don't really use the EQ on my ampeg any more
  14. I use EQ, but mainly since my bass isn't the best sounding one without it (but it sounds damned good for a $120 bass)! I boost the bass up and use mids to cut through and shove some treble up in there and thats as far as I get with my amp!
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Depends on what Im playing and what bass Im using but for the most part, just some trebble boost and onboard EQ.

16. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    If there's a need for it. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. Most of the time panning the pickups and a slight change in right-hand technique is enough. That's more useful to me than EQ.
  17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Agreed 100000%.

By the way, that's a nice Avatar... Six billion ants crawling on a plate.
  18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I usually use a combonation of settings. When I was in a death metal band, I boosted the bass slightly, and the midrange about +5db, and rolled off the treble (on my bass). On my amp, I typically had the bass boosted +5, 800hz +8, 1khz boosted about +4, and 1.6khz and 5khz either at 0 or -2db.

As for the jazz band I'm doing, I boost the bass more than the mids, and roll the treble off quite a bit to get a nice warm sound. Sometimes i favor the neck pickup as well.

And for funk, I use the "j" face. Bass and Mid are boosted equally, and the treble I boost about +5 over the rest. Every now and then I'll boost the bass up, for the smiley face.

Whew :) I'm an EQ whore to the max.
  19. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You sure are using a hell of a lot of boost, and not really any cut. Do you run out of headroom on your amp?