1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD The Great Head Blowout (5 to choose from)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by pocketmonster, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I purchased a lot of gear off of TB over the past couple years and tested it in our church environment to see what really works well and what doesn't. It is finally time to sell all this stuff back into the TB community.

Shipping (FedEx ground) is included. CONUS only. With five items to sell, I am pricing these at (roughly) fair market value. Please save my time and yours by not offering $1.99. No trades. Money order / cashier's check / bank check preferred. Personal checks OK but must clear. Paypal not preferred but e-check is OK. Pics to follow.

Thunderfunk TFB550-B with The Switch: ***SOLD***
    Includes rack ears
    Very good condition, just a couple light scratches
    We all marveled at how tight this amp is, very controlled low end

Mesa Walkabout: $500 - ***Sold Pending Payment*** (clarification: not a "Scout" combo, it is a head)
    Includes rack ears
    One knick out of the paint on top, otherwise generally clean
    Was updated by Mesa in 2008 (has effects bypass switch)
    Nothing else sounds like a Mesa. This amp is the real deal, and in a small to mid venue it rocks. I dig it.

Demeter VTBP-201: $425 - Available
    The famous black-faced pre w/ Jensen direct out, very good condition, a bit of light scratching
    If no one wants this, I'll hang onto it... most transparent pre I've heard, and my sound man said it is the cleanest signal he had ever gotten over a direct out (note that I don't think this is the best match for very bright basses like my MTD... you'll be cutting the highs on the bass for sure)

Eden Traveler Plus (WT-400A): ***SOLD***
    Good condition, nice warm/smooth tone

Eden Traveler (WT-550): $700 - ***Available - pending deal cancelled due to lack of funds***
    Includes Eden padded carry bag and rack ears
    Fair to good condition - tone is just fine but looks a bit more used than the other heads listed here
    Thumps/pops sometimes when turning off (I turn the master down before turning off to avoid it, so no big issue)
    Cleaned the volume pot to get rid of scratching when I bought it... fine ever since.

2. Thunderfunk pics

Attached Files:

3. Walkabout pics

Attached Files:

4. Demeter pics

Attached Files:

5. WT-400 pics

Attached Files:

6. WT-550 pics

Attached Files:

7. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Does the 400 come with rack ears?

8. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's a lot of head to blow.... out.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Curious... what was the head that you are keeping considering all these great amps are up for sale?

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Looks like a Markbass.

11. These are all great heads. I found that I liked each in a different environment. In my studio at home, the Walkabout won. It really filled the room, good low end, sits strong in a mix when I am playing with recordings or other musicians. (The worst amp in this room, which is too small to support long wavelength bass tones, was the Thunderfunk.)

In the gym at church the Thunderfunk was the champ... the tight bass sounded full with the natural reverberation of the room, while the other amps sounded relatively muddy. The Demeter through a solid state amp was a close second. (The worst amp in these environments was the Eden - both of them, although the WT550 sounded a little muddier to me than the WT400, when I listened to them side by side.)

Most of our usage occurs in two other buildings, one approximately the square footage of a basketball court with a little extra on all sides, with good sound control, the other a small building, perhaps 60 or 70 feet long by about 30 feet wide and not well damped. In these spaces, all amps were passable, each with its own tonal characteristics.

At the end of the day, we bought two LMII heads, one running through an Epi UL-410 (for the louder venue, which is actually the smaller space), one through an Epi UL-310 (for the more traditional venue, which is the larger space).

Compared to the other amps in the settings we tested them, the LMII is more neutral than the Thunderfunk with a fatter bottom, very similar to the Demeter but less brittle on the high end (if the Demeter had a stronger EQ section it would be simply amazing), less metallic and more neutral than the Mesa (though both have a great bottom end, and the Mesa just smokes at what it does), and more transparent and accurate than the Edens.

So, I won't say that any of the amps is better than the others, but for our variety of rooms we felt that the LMII was the neutral sound we were looking for with a strong bottom, but not too boomy for the gym, and able to let the sound of the basses come through. We also felt that each bassist would be able to come to terms with the head quickly and find his or her sound with the VLE equalization feature and the other EQ capabilities. The direct out also worked well for us with all boards. Frankly, if the Demeter had a stronger EQ section, it would have been tied for first place (but is a pre + separate amp solution, losing points for that).

The VLE control is really a silver bullet that lets me get all the sounds I want out of my MTD. It's like adding a Sadowsky vintage tone control to an MTD... so I picked up an SA450 for my personal use.

The punchline to the story is that we found heads and cabs that we felt would let anyone find the sound they want, and then I saw one of our high school bassists playing through an Ampeg cab positioned on top of the Epi 4x10. :help: sigh...

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for the great detail.

13. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    And if he was selling a bunch of cabinets it'd be the Great Bottom Blowout.

The horror...the horror....

14. Thanks for the free bumps. (I guess :))

15. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Kudos-major!

...talk about truth in advertising...

Kim

16. Yup... I don't keep any secrets when I'm selling stuff. It isn't like Markbass is great and everything else sucks. :D Any of these would have gotten the job done, except that the Mesa would not be my first choice for a broad range of musical styles. I'm explaining our findings to help buyers figure out what might work well for them.

You can argue a flip side for each of these. Mesa and Thunderfunk each have their own vibe, and for some folks it is the best sound out there. The Edens sounded great in my studio... made we want to drink whiskey on the rocks and smoke a cigar. And, I don't even smoke...

One amp sold, four to go... buy it, try it, love it or resell it. Shipping costs = rent. That's what TB is all about. :bassist:

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    It would be helpful for future reference if you input the sales price along with the SOLD! banner.

18. damn i wish i had 450

19. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    PM'd

20. WT400 and Thunderfunk sold
    Walkabout pending payment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.