Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Great Northern Luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jazzyitalian, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    I really haven't found many great Luthiers up here in Minnesota. They all seem to come from the North East US or on the west coast. But some of you might have heard of John Brown.

He really is one of the finest Luthiers I have ever met. This guy can do anything to a guitar. As of recent, he launched a website concurrent with his release of the fretted/less bass concept. John's website is: www.brownsguitarfactory.com. John recently showed his basses at the NAMM show sharing space next to the Dean Markley folks and received rave reviews.

I really don't know if there are any other master luthiers that do work on the level of John. But since I've been here, John Brown has been the only word on the street. If there are others, let me know. But in the meantime, for those of you looking to have a name of a quality luthier, he is the man. Check out his site. I think you'll like what you see in these very different fretted/less basses. Jazz :eyebrow:

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Looks like they know their stuff. But what the heck is a "modified oil finish"?

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm not too keen on that song that plays when you first enter his site..... :eyebrow:

4. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Is that fretted/less concept the same one used by Scott Ian of Anthrax back in like '86?

I said Anthrax. Big brother is now watching this thread.