1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Great Purge...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Feb 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Massive Bass Hoarder Here....

In the past 2 years I have slowly been selling off stuff that I just didn't play anymore...or no longer had a real connection with

List of basses I let go the last 2 years...

1. Warwick Vampyre
    2. ESP Frank Bello P/J
    3. ESP F-4E
    4. ESP Phoenix
    5. ESP Stream
    6. ESP Vintage 204
    5. B.C. Rich Warlock
    6. B.C. Rich Mockingbird
    7. Epiphone T-bird
    8. Tobias Toby Pro
    9. Dingwall Combustion 5
    10. G&L SB-2 Tribute
    11. G&L J
    12. Fender P/J
    13. Fender Blacktop Jazz
    14. Fender Aerodyne (Japanese Non-Export)
    15. Fender 50's P
    16. Fender Sunburst P
    17. Squire J
    18. Squire P
    19. Ibanez Iceman
    20. Lakland Decade
    21. Lakland 44-51
    22. Lakland 44-02
    23. Traben Array Obsession 4
    24. Traben Array Obsession 5
    25. Michael Kelly AEB
    26. Takamine AEB

List of Basses that might go soon:

1. G&L L-2000 Tribute
    2. G&l M-2000 Tribute
    3. Fender Modern Player Sunburst P
    4. Fender MIM Standard J
    5. Schecter C-4 XXX

Basses I'm actually keeping for the foreseeable future:

1. Lakland 44-64 Custom P/J (White - my main player)
    2. Lakland 44-63 Custom P/J (Black - Backup)
    3. Fender Parts Build P Bass
    4. Fender Parts Build P Bass (Back-up)
    5. Fender Parts Build J Bass
    6. Fender Parts Build J BAss (Back up)
    5. Rickenbacker 4003 (Maple-Glo)
    6. Rickenbacker 4001 (Maple-Glo) (Back up)
    7. Fender Kingman AEB
    8. Ernie Ball Music Man Sterlin SH-4
    9. Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling USA Sub
    10. Duke Composite Double Bass
    11. Unknown Fretless AEB

Basses I'm looking at right now:

1. Something Les Paul Shaped...(Full Scale if possible)

Wow it really hits home when I see it all posted out like this...but actually feels good...I know I will never dip below 10...lol

anybody else letting large collections go? The wife says I have a problem...

now if I could just manage to get rid of a few amps and cabs....lol

and don't get me started on pedals....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 2:13 PM
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    A whole lotta nice basses, that's fer shur! I just don't have room for that many.:)
    Good luck with your future sales and aquisitions.:thumbsup:

On the opposite side, I sold off a few and have only one bass right now (and it works great for me) and for the foreseeable future.

'83 Ibanez Musician 924ds PJ. Active/passive, 24-fret, 1.6 nut, 3 band eq, dead ground wounds, foam in the bridge, pluck or pick. Along with my HPF I can be any rig into submission.

Just sayin',

lomo, JRA and kodiakblair like this.
  3. 2019 was a purge year for me, I was in a "if I don't Love it or Use it, it's going" mood: 14 sold: One Mex P, one Ibanez six string bass, and Twelve guitars (mostly Telecasters). I paid off the house with the proceeds. (That felt good.) Nothing bought.

So far for 2020: one Epiphone T-Bird purchased. Wife does not mind. :)

4. Decided to sell my Peavey collection this year. 54 in total. Near a complete set,all bar 2 models :thumbsup: Plan on selling another 20 misc basses and ditching the amps/cabs too.

Should mostly fund a narrow boat. Do that and the housing costs drop 75% (mooring fees ain't cheap in Scotland).
    Bank the savings for 8 year then retire.

Will I regret it ?

Not a chance :D Owned easy 140 basses over the years,more than enough for 10 lifetimes :)

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

What have I done wrong in life...?

dmt, Pdaddy1978, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  6. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    There was a point about ten years ago where I had a similar number of basses (as well as other instruments). It occurred to me that having some many basses was insanity; I didn’t really have any good reason for having such a large collection. Over the past decade, I’ve sold off 90% of that collection. I’m down to two electric basses, one double bass, one electric guitar, and one acoustic guitar. I tell ya’, I sure feel much happier with a smaller collection. :thumbsup:

moon-bass, eriky4003 and City like this.
  7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I had 21 basses (+ 4 guitars) and planned to sell 8 basses, and give one away to a school. But last night I bought another and decided to keep one of the T40s. I'm so weak.

Some like the XL2 will never go and in reality I could get down to 5 unique basses, but some I just love and aren't worth that much. Same with the guitars, but the 67 LP will go upon retirement. Hopefully it's a seller's market around then.

8. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    lol to be fair that collection wasn't built over night...lol Started in the late 80's and early 90's...I'm just a pack rat!!!

I have three drum kits, 6 electric guitars and a couple of acoustic guitars that probably need to go as well...and now that I think about it a couple of keyboards and electric pianos that need to go...

In my 50's now and life has really slowed down...not touring anymore...no more cruise ship work...mostly studio work and three local bands...

If i wasn't doing the studio work i could probably narrow the collection down to 4 or 5 basses, 1 drum kit, 1 electric guitar, 1 acoustic guitar, 1 keyboard

been a bumpy 32 year ride...

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    2 back up basses ? and you have 11 ? lol

B-Lo likes this.
  10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Disagree. Keeping a T40 and actually playing it is akin to having a grueling workout regime. It will make you strong!

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Your wife is an observant woman.

TheDominoKid likes this.
  12. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Since 2014, I have probably cycled through at least 200 basses. The most I've owned at one time was 23.

I'm down to 4, 3 Precisions and a Geddy Lee USA Jazz. I'm adding a fifth today in the form of a Dakota Red Vintera Precision. Which means something should go.

I've tried a bunch of basses and figured out what I already knew, it's a Precision for me. Maybe the Geddy will have to go?

13. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

BHPD = Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder. There is a Talkbass thread for this. There is help for the brothers and sisters of Talkbass with chronic GAS.

I got rid of three around X-Mas and it felt good. Except one sneaked in so it was really two. Have a total of ten.

14. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    Looking at your list, it definitely looks like you need a few more backups. Funny, because if I ever have an odd number of basses, I have to add one more to make it an even number.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Yep, I'm sitting on 25 right now and it just feels sort of wrong.
    Yet I still cruise the classifieds.
    I'm screwed.

B-Lo, mikewalker and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'm leaning towards agreeing with your wife cos you got rid of at least 1 bass I still covet, especially after missing 2 local deals of a lifetime on the boney-fingered ESP F-4E. since it seems you don't mind typing lol I'd really like to hear your impression of this bass, would you mind giving me a quick pros vs cons on the example you had?
    another is the Epi T-bird, which of the very few 'birds I've encountered I never liked the feel of, til last month, now I'm obsessed in nailing that particular one at our GC. don't even know if it sounds good but it felt perfect.
    I'll bet I know why you tossed the Ibanez Iceman, they use guitar PUs! not always a bad thing, but in this case I've heard they're good overall and outstanding with bass PUs of almost any kind. I hope to find out.
    I'm not ready to part with anything, the GAS is still real for a few choice pieces, like this vvvv
    as pay back I give you THE Les Paul bass IMO, a Kawai Rockoon!

17. I’m going to show this thread to Mrs. Ostie and tell her that things could be much worse.

18. What vehicle(s) do you guys use to sell your basses? I'd like to get rid of a few but don't want to give them away.

Spectre Gunner likes this.
  19. Dreig

Dreig

Sep 25, 2019
    PSA: For any hoarders selling their instruments, I will be glad to buy your basses if you sell them for the same amount you told your wife they cost you.

Just kidding, I do not even have money for that

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    ZedLepp, MuttThud, Murch and 4 others like this.
  20. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Northest New Jersey
    Oh man, you folks are making me feel like a piker. I'm at "peak" inventory with 9 basses and 4 guitars. My wife has become numb to it. I may dump a couple of them in the spring just to feel better about myself.