The Great Strap Debate

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok, for those of you who use the "regular" straps i.e. cheap ones with the sliding buckle adjustor. I am the only one who puts that end on the upper horn pin, and the "flat" end on the bridge pin, so I can adjust the strap by just reaching over. Everyone else has to rach down, bend and contort to adjust to the strap. or, as I said "Have to yernk it around a lot" to adjust.

Are you a Upper, like my self, or a Lower, like a lot of people? Talk about nearly off topic!
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I have always put the adjustable end on the upper horn. I thought everyone did...:)
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So did I, but I'm the only one in mu entire town who puts it on the upper. Bass or Guitar...strange huh?
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Yeah...that IS kinda strange. Well, to me I always thought it was natural/ wear it that way...:)
  5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I tried using it that way at first, but I found that at my preferred bass height, the buckle was always on my shoulder. It was very uncomfortable, to say the least. Now I put the flat part on the upper horn button and the buckle on the bridge button.
  6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Okay...that makes sense...:)
  7. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I tend to switch off because my strap is rather distressed and prone at times to slip right off the horns. =) So I switch around which end I put where just to distribute the stress somewhat and keep my bass from falling out of my arms while I play. =)

The main issue in this thread, though, seems to be adjusting the strap with the bass on. I usually don't have any problems with this, so I dunno which is more effective. I do find that I can't reach the adjustor either way, though. =)
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I used to put the buckle thingie in front, but now I put it on my back strap button. It looks neater that way.

Will C.:cool:
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, the guitarists in my band were harassing me over this. I wear the buckle in front too, but for a different reason. I buy the Levy's plain, black heavy nylon strap (one for each bass). I get them at, where else, GC, who has them made with a leather GC label on the non-buckle end. Now, it's a nice-looking label, but they can give me the danged straps for free if they want me to advertise for them. That sucker's going on the back, so I have a nice, simple black suede end up front. End of story.
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Exactly what Nate Dawg said! I use the cheazzy Fender 10 dollar straps whith the buckle in back.
  11. Now I've got one of those big fat leather straps, where it's not adjusted with a buckle. There's no such thing as adjusting the strap with this one already slung over your shoulder. ;) :D
  12. I use a leather adjustable strap, but its not a fat one. It's about the same width as the cheaper nylon straps, but I put my buckel on the lower peg because I never really adjust my bass at all. If I change my height, then it makes me adjust my playing style (angle of attack), which I don't like to do very often.

P.S. Strap locks or no strap locks. I use 'em because I would never want my bass to slip of the peg while I'm playing. And you can move your bass around freely w/o worrying about hitting the wrong angle causing your bass to fall.
  13. i put the buckle down as far as it goes and duct tape the strap to my guitar. i dont know which side the buckle is on nor do i care how far down my guitar sits
  14. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i use a black comfy strap for my jazz. Buckle thing is, is well i forget where it is for sure i think its closer to the upper horn. I wear my bass fairly high [or @ least compared to other bassists & guitarists in my area] about @ my waist [bottom of bass about even with waist]. Then angled up so that i have a more familar angle of attack & fret angle/position. When i first saw one of those leather straps without the adjustment buckle thing i said out loud [fairly loud in a local shop] "what in the h*ll" got some weird looks but not that many people were around. thats all
  15. crap! my strap doesn't have a buckle
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play one of the wide leather ones that is not easily adjustable, I like to set my strap and leave it that way.

You know how these are wide all the way down until you get to the adjustable part? Well, I used to put this end on the horn and the wide end at the end of the bass, because it looked more natural that way. I wondered why my shoulder always hurt after a gig.

One day, in a fit of inspiration, I turned it around so that the wide part went over my shoulder. Wow! So much more comfortable!

I can't believe that it took me 15 years to figure out that you were supposed to wear it that way, after all, what is the point of having a wide strap for comfort if you put the skinny part over your shoulder?:rolleyes:

17. My straps have two straplocks on the bass end. I also use w-i-d-e straps. want to lower the bass some just change to the other straplock.
  18. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I wear my bass hung low and with the buckle towards the upper horn.

Ok, how many people put their cord through the strap then into the bass? You know, to sorta secure it...

19. I do, I do....! :)

locks or no locks?
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh yeah. Me too!