The Greatest Bass I Have Ever Played; Yours?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Jul 17, 2005.

1. I was driving through Scranton, PA two years ago and stopped at the Bass Palace, where I played the greatest bass of all time. It was a fretless 4-string Fodera, sunburst, and the owner said it was sent back to FOdera for custom pick up set up---this thing had 6 picks up I believe. The neck had fret markers on it (which made it even easier to play) and the sound was so incredibly stomping fat, I could not believe it. Playing it seemed like my fingers were playing in warm butter. It was an amazing bass--$2,700. I got him down to $2,200 but I couldn't get the balls to put my savings on this bass.

I ended up buying my house instead and using the cash for my guess I cannot complain..
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well There areen't any basses like Fodera and F-basses u p here around Niagara (Maybe Toronto :eyebrow: ) But down here, i LOVED the Conklin GT7. It had the best, and most comfortable neck i've ever played. The sound could go from the best thumping bass, to the great punchy lows in the turn of a knob.

Also, i'm REALLY loving the Fender HW1 Jazz bass. I'm going around searching for great basses and I never realized I should buy this one :D it's 800 bucks too. I can play all of Portrait of Tracy on it clearly. EVEN the last chord :D

3. :eyebrow: :crying:
  4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I love my kubicki's
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    PFD, you did the right thing. You got a house. Now you can start saving for a dream bass. You will find another that plays like butter again. :bassist:
  6. The best bass I have played to date would be the one I currently own. My Lakland 55-94
    This was about six year ago before the skyline was introduced. I paid $2200.00 for it.

I still lust after a Fodera as well though, a Matt Garrison 5er would be my choice but the price tags I have seen are as scary as hell. I like the single cut look so who knows maybe a Benavente will be in the future. The one thing I lack in my small bass collection is a modern sounding bass plus I'm a sucker for a bass with the exotic wood tops. I also love that Sawdowsky sound and still have not had an opportunity to play one.

Thanks for the GAS attack Dan!!! ;)
    Where is my check book, where's my check book, I'm feeling week.
  7. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've not had a chance to play an NYC Sadowsky...I'd love to. I love my current MIA Deluxe Jazz V but the best has been a Pedulla Rapture J5 (19mm spacing) and a Pedulla Pentabuzz (19mm spacing) both at GC. Both had the typical GC inattention with regards to set-up but even so....they both played like buttah and sounded even better. The Rapture J5 was more my cup-o-tea. I always thought I'd only like 17mm-17.5mm spacing but now...the wider the better.
  8. My Alembic Stanley Clarke.I wanted one for about 20 years but could never actually get around to buying one.Finally I found one in The Gallery in London.Used but in mint condition it is the best bass that I've owned.Previously I've owned two Wal basses 4 and 5 strings, a Jaydee Mark King, Warwicks, Fenders, Musicman but my Alembic is the best. :bassist:
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My musicman sterling, have yet to play a bass that just feels so right.
  10. Everyone is different aren't they.That's why there's such a choice when you go into a shop. :bassist:
  11. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    So true!! And let's face it, there are several really good manufacturers out there, too!

The best I have ever played is the one I just purchased. It is a Modulus Genesis Vintage Jazz 4 string fretless with Chechen FB and passive Villex PUPs. It sounds beautiful even when it is not plugged in.

I have come to realize, that on this board, if you are not pimping a Sadowski, Lakland, MTD, or Fodera, you will barely elicit a yawn from the gallery. And that's not to knock anyone playing one of those fine instruments because they are obviously beautiful and very high quality. I'd like to own at least one of each, thank-you. LOL!

But it's all good, because as long as you are thrilled, nothing else really matters! ;)
  12. It was a Sei 6 string fretless. Unbelievalble. US Spector 4 string was great as well, but I didn't have the gall to put all my money down. Should have done though.

Best bass I've ever owned is my Jackson Kip Winger bass. Lacewood... superb sound. Upper fret access is rubbish, but I still love it to bits !!
  13. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Buffalo Bob, I respectfully disagree with you. The greatest bass I've ever played happens to be my Sadowsky PJ4 because of feel, tone, size (this is a NYC that is full-size, which fits me, being full-size myself), quality of manufacture and many other factors.

However, just because I love my Sad doesn't mean I'm yawning when you talk about your Modulus. Now that I've heard you praise it, I look forward to getting the chance to play one. There is, admittedly, an active Sadowsky fan club here on TB, but most of us, IMO, are not snobs and enjoy hearing about other basses. I can tell you, there are a lot of great instruments and players out there. And, there are almost as many good tones out there as there are players. Because I love Ian Gillan as a rock singer doesn't mean I can't appreciate Paul Rogers. Because I love Stevie Ray Vaughan doesn't mean I can't appreciate Wes Montgomery.

I hope I get the chance to hear you play your Modulus soon.
  14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO any quality bass with good fretwork (if it's a fretted bass :D ) can be adjusted to play easily.

- Art
  15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    4 string: Tie. Former G&L SB-1 and current Stingray. I liked the neck on the G&L better, but I dig the sound of the Stingray more.

5 string: I don't know if he still has it, but bassmonkeee's Curbow Int'l Petite 5 (the one you had the V-bass on back in '03). Sweet mother of god.

6 string: Dingwall Afterburner 1. Oh, man, I couldn't play it. I just couldn't, otherwise I would have put myself waaay into debt.

7 string: Roscoe SKB3007. Bass central had it several years back; a cocobolo topped monster.
  17. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Hands down, this is the finest playing bass I have ever had the honor of playing ... FBB #00-020

Best of all, it's mine :cool:
  18. John Pattitucci Six String from Yamaha (the new one) Best. Bass. Ever. Don't own it.
  19. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    I haven't had the opportunity to play many basses except my own... but I was really enjoying the time I spent playing that Ampeg at my friend's house.
  20. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I know it's bad.....

Warwick Rockbass 4stringer
    How sad is that? :bawl: At least I own it.
    Jeez, I need to get out more. Recently I went to GC and played a Pedulla Pentabuzz 4 string that was there, they were asking $1100 for it I think. I had played it before and wasn't really into it, so I tried it again and with the same results. Maybe it was the roundwounds on it, yes roundwounds on a fretted bass, but it sounded like crap. Bartolini pups and all. To each their own I guess. Tomorrow I'm going to GC again to play a Ken Smith 6 stringer that they had on the wall, it'll be my first time sittin down with a sixer. Should be fun, and maybe I'll change my mind about the best bass I've ever played.