Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Greatest Bass Web Site Ever!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by basswraith, Sep 7, 2005.

1. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    This is the new Cite de la Musique web site for the instrument museum in Paris. They have a photo archive of priceless basses which includes an interactive zoom feature. One can scrutinize these basses for hours. If you don’t know French , don’t worry about it. After you have selected the image click Consulter l'image and the zoom features will appear.

Step 1 go here

http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr/...olkit/p_requests/default-collection-musee.htm

2. Click Intruments et oeuvres d'art

3. In the space marked Mot-clé(s) : type "contrebasse" and press the "Rechercher" button at the bottom.

4. Click any heading shuch as "Contrebasse" or "Archet de contrebasse". These do not look like hyperlinks they just look like regular type.

5. When the pictures appear (thumbnails) click any one and that thumbnail will enlarge but still be pretty small.

6. Above the picture there will be something that looks like a camera shutter with "Consulter l'image" written below that. Click this and a new window will open that is larger and the image is zoomable.

7. More pages are available at the top of the page, not the window that opened with the large image.

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    oh my, thanks so much, i'm sure paul will offer a very sincere thanks too :p

that xavier bass from around 1920 is absolutely gorgeous.

3. Check out the six string bass - sure looks like it would be uncomfortable to play :)

4. I'm having a bit of trouble navigating this site....just when I think I know what i'm doing, I blow it.
    Any tricks to get around in there?
    I want in!!!I can literally smell the basses. I got the Testore and a Fench bass, but can't consistantly navigate,Help, Help, :help: :help:

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Follow his Directions Paul. There are some nice looking Basses there. One French Bass though is 100% German to my eyes.

I think the Website itself SUCKS to get around but the pics are nice if you can work all the 'buttons'.

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    there are two arrows at the bottom of each page after you have searched, those are key to seeing all the basses as the search function will only bring up ten items per page, use the arrow that DOES NOT have the line connected to it.

7. Thanks, Beedubya, great site.

Paul, just follow his instructions, as Ken says. After selecting a bass (or bow), choose a picture, go to 'Consulter L'Image' to open it in a new window, make the window full screen, use the + zoom button to blow it up full size. Close that window, use the Back button to go back to choose another picture.

There's some fantastic old instruments shown there, and some funky things too. Some appear to be in pretty ratty condition. Paul, check out the Quenoil fiver.

8. I do, I do.

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
  10. Take me to the bathroom now Jesus!!!!!

11. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    If any one has time, also try looking up "basse de viol" or viola da gamba or viol. Those older baroque instruments are just as interesting to look at.

12. I also can't navigate this site. Following the instructions (through Step 3 where I do the search on "contrebasse") all that pops up is another window with lists of types of instruments ("contrebasse", "contrebasse electrique", "contrebasse violin", etc). When I click on one of them, no photos appear. In fact, nothing appears, just an endless loop of lists. Oh, well.

13. Me too....can't somebody help us??????

14. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    after you type in "contrebasse" and search, it brings up links ten to a page.
    just click on one once (you don't get a hand or anything that tells you your over a link, its just a little I looking cursor).

then to the right side of your screen you'll see a smaller window section come up and the other links will stay the same, you should see a bunch of little pictures.

click on a picture and then that picture will then become the single image on the right side, from that screen you can click on the "Consulter l'image" link on the screen, that will bring up a seperate window that you can zoom on, i maximise it, then once i'm done checking it out, i close that window, then you see the other window again.
    the whole time the original ten links remain on the left side of the screen, or search window if you will.

also once your at the big picture that lets you click the "Consulter l'image" link, there is a link that is under the heading "oeuvre" you will see black text, you can click that instead of using your back buttons.

click it and you go here.
    http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr/ClientBookLineCIMU/recherche/NoticeDetailleByID.asp?ID=0157555

15. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Like I said earlier, this website sucks. The pics are nice if you are lucky enough to click on non hyper text and you get something but how do they expect people to figure this out, osmosis?

16. Thanks for trying to help, but this doesn't occur on my screen. There is no place in the list where I get a little I looking cursor, only the hyperlinks on the lists, which only take me to another window of lists. Perhaps it's a software issue on my system? Anyway, thanks again for trying.

17. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I often have problems viewing websites, particularly those that use Flash or similar technology. However I have no problems with this site...go figure.

I can choose from the list revealed by BassWraith's "step 3," and selecting each item reveals details and a list of thumbnail pictures to the right of the page. Clicking on a thumbnail shows a larger picture, and then selecting "Consulter l'image" opens a new large-picture window with rotate/zoom and other options. Very cool!

There are al ot of interesting carved scrolls like this one: [​IMG]
    and this one: [​IMG]
    and another: [​IMG]

18. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    and if you right click on the large picture that pops up when you click on consultier l'image and then copy the link location you will have the address for the large and detailed photos to copy and paste..... :D

19. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I think the site is bitchin'. Best high rez images of a Testori I have seen. I will probably never get to see one in person so this is as good as it gets. Very interesting site. Thanks basswraith!

az

Steps

1. Go to linked site: http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr/...ction-musee.htm

2. Click Intruments et oeuvres d'art

3. In the space marked Mot-clé(s) : type "contrebasse" and press the "Rechercher" button at the bottom.

4. Click any heading shuch as "Contrebasse" or "Archet de contrebasse". These do not look like hyperlinks they just look like regular type.

5. When the pictures appear (thumbnails) click any one and that thumbnail will enlarge but still be pretty small.

6. Above the picture there will be something that looks like a camera shutter with "Consulter l'image" written below that. Click this and a new window will open that is larger and the image is zoomable.

7. More pages are available at the top of the page, not the window that opened with the large image.

P. S. - I am using Mozilla as a browser so if it works for me it should for anyone using IE. :hyper:

20. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks AZfly man. Would you mind if I pasted your revised directions on the first thread? This way, i hope people will have an easier time with the navigation.

Also only use the mouse for the click options do just press return...use the mouse.

Try searching "viole" and check out the first bass on the list from Brescia! What a scroll.!