The Greyboy All-Stars to reunite

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Greyboy Allstars To Rejoin DJ Greyboy, Return To Road

In the early 1990’s, DJ Greyboy enlisted Karl Denson to form a house band for his fledgling Greyboy Records. This group which also consisted of Elgin Park, Robert Walter, Chris Stillwell and Zak Najor soon took on an identity of its own as the Greyboy Allstars. As of late, the band members have pursued their own projects (for instance, Park, aka Mike Andrews, has been working in film, while Walter and Denson have explored music with their bands which began as “Greyboy Allstar Sidecar Projects”). Now after a series of one-off gigs and short runs over the past few years, the quintet is returning to the road. On Wednesday the band will begin a three night stand at The Independent in San Francisco followed by a night at Los Angeles’ El Rey Theatre. The Allstars will then enter the studio with DJ Greyboy for their first such recording in nine years, followed by stretches of shows in early March and early April that will carry the group to Colorado, the West Coast and then the East Coast.
  2. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've been waiting for years to see these guys. I'm finally going to see them tomorrow night at Avalon in Boston.
  3. I thought Karl Denson was a Greyboy Allstar?
  4. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Sweet... too bad they aren't coming anywhere near my neck of the woods. I caught Karl Denson's Tiny Universe on the tour for their first release playing at a little dive bar in town. Man, what a show.
  5. Unreal!!!!! Where is a tour schedule?????? I'm sure they aren't coming anywhere near here, but I'd like to see.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    YES! Now if Liquid Soul and Groove Collective would reunite, we'd be in bidness! Oh, and N'Dea has rejoined Brand New Heavies. They're coming out with a new cd! :hyper:
  7. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
  8. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    FWIW. I caught the Boston GBA show last night. Despite Elgin Park (guitar player) having to play the entire shown sitting because of a bad back it was a blast. They played some old favorites and many new tunes that will be on there new album (due out early next year).

For all the gear geeks (I'm one too) Chris played a Fender Mustang into an old Fender Bassman 100 head into an Ampeg 8x10. The Mustang looked like it was orange and had the stripes on the body. He sounded great. It kinda makes me want a short scale.
  9. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    A "version"of LS is still playing but the chance of the original guy's plus mar's doing anything is pretty slim at this point in time
  10. gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006
    WHAT?!?!?!?!??!?!?! :eek: Please tell me you're not joking. That would be the best news I've heard in a long time. Next you'll tell me Stuart Zender rejoined Jamiroquai and they want to make an album like Return of the Space Cowboy. :D
  11. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

Former guitarist Tom is out in CA doing solo stuff - great player and a good guy. His new CD is very cool.(

And bassist Ricky Showalter was doing pick-up gigs around Chicago last I heard. He's a monster player. LS was absolutely smokin' back in the house band days at Elbo Room and Sunday nights at the Double Door.

Anyway, psyched to hear about the Greyboys. Saw Karl Denson with Tiny Universe open for the Allmans a few years back and they were really tight.
  12. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I had no idea they were back together until a few days ago. I have all their previous CD's and several Karl Denson and Robert Walter CD's. I guess I got busy and quit following their solo carreers and din't think they would ever re-unite.

The other day I was checking the weather on the local Fox news website and saw a link to win Greyboy Allstars tickets. The station was holding a drawing. I was floored. I had no idea they were back together touring, let alone coming to Houston, or had a new CD out. You could enter the drawing once a day up to the date of the I did and had my wife do the same. The station called today. My wife won! We'll be checking them out tomorrow. :hyper:
  13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Need a Toronto date please . . . . .
  14. Nice. I was in the same boat as you. Loved Greyboy, love the Karl Denson and Robert Walter stuff. The new CD is "What Happened to Television", and it is great!!!

Have fun at the concert. On a side (and equally as funky) note, I'm going to see Christian McBride tonight!!!
  15. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Great show. The band looked like they were having fun. Chris gets a big punchy tone out of the short scale Mustang and SVT rig with minimal effort.