1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Groove Shoppe 5... anyone tried it yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Apr 20, 2006.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    There was a thread about this bass a while back, but surprisingly I haven't seen much about it in the few months since. Has anyone been able to get their hands on one? If so, what did you think?

[​IMG]

2. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Bump - I'd love to hear a review as well. Very nicely spec'd bass and a real looker too! Gary

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not what i go for personally, as far as body shape goes, but i dig the electronics and neck, just from lookin.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since it looks like a cross between an MTD and a Fodera, I'm really surprised no one has got one yet. Next year, when my ship comes in, this along with a Sadowsky Metro, a Skjold, and a Valenti, will be one I consider ordering.

5. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Subscribing -- I think these basses look like great instruments. Nordstrand dual coils will do the job!

Has anyone in the area played this bass?

6. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    On paper, this thing should be wicked and very versitile. Someone around here must have tried one by now.

Joel, if you're lurking somewhere.... can you tell us anything?

7. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nobody at all?

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'm a little puzzled about the decision to put these in the market. I mean, Joel and David sell top-notch brands, like MTD, Fodera, Smith, and F Bass. What is the need of offering these models, and at a price so close (if not the same) to the well-established brands. . . ? (Smiths and F Basses can be had new for around $2800). Not to mention resell value, which is already very low for everything but Fodera (or Sadowsky and a few other brands).

Just thinking out loud.

9. I'm sure the reason they're putting these basses out is purely for economic reasons. They probably worked out a better profit margin for themselves on these basses vs either MTD or Fodera, while at the same time, the basses are different enough to stand on their own and appeal to a specific group as well. Now with that being said, I would think that they'd want to price them a bit lower just to make them more enticing to purchase. Now, not knowing what they feel or sound like, I'd shy away from purchasing one of these basses because I know that for nearly the same money, I can get a MTD which should have a better re-sale which is a very important attribute to me when purchasing new.

10. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Very cool. At first glance I thought for sure I was looking at an F Bass. How much for these bad boys?

Lonnybass

11. Pete skjold

Pete skjold Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    My best to you Joel and the Groove Shop . I commend your efforts with bringing an entirely new brand to a very competitive market place .

I for one totally understand this kind of investment and know it will be several basses down the road before you see daylight . Anyone thinking this is an easy way to make money hasn't tried it .

Best regards,

Pete Skjold

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If I didn't have a couple of 'Super J's' already, I'd definitely consider one of these... nice feature set, and nice 'updated classic' look. Also, what's not to like about a neck that Mike Tobias has had something to do with!

I look forward to some reviews.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think Joel was simply guilty of being realistic. If these catch on, then the price will have to rise if unless they become mass produced instruments. It's just simple economics. The same will be true of Skjold and Valenti also.

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    +1

15. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Hi Joel,

Good luck with the new bass!

Roger

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I like the looks pretty cool.

"The Groove Shoppe 5 grew out of a desire to meld the sonic qualities of the best vintage instruments with the versatility and modern accouterments of a contemporary bass guitar. "

"We worked extremely hard to produce an instrument that could be used in absolutely any musical or performance setting from the biggest stages to the most demanding studio environments. "

My first thoughts is that, if this is true, this should be able to nail a J, a P, and a modern active sound (certainly not all, but I would say given the electronics, this is a given). Do you think this is the case? Or, what is your reasoning on these statements?

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    We shall see very soon... the great and mighty Carnac predicts that there are at least two reviews coming soon to a web forum near you... ;)

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    look forward to the reviews.

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I dig, but the pickups seem bit too close to the neck for my tastes.

20. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    How about handing out a few free samples...;) :p