Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the growing 2 112's trend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Apr 25, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    A few peeps here have been talkin about 12's lately. Has anybody ever mixed 2 12's and a 15? in a biamp situation or full range? I was thinkin adding a 15 to the 12's would add a bit more fatness to bottom end and push more air as well.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got my second 1x12 on the way, and I've played through the Aggie 2x12 a couple of times at loud, gig volume. I think adding a 15" speaker would be overkill, honestly. The 2 12"s move plenty of air.

Dave Siff should pipe in here shortly. He is the owner of said 2x12 cab, and when he found it not loud enough for his needs, he added a 2x10" cab.
    This setup gives a very loud, focused, punchy sound.

If the 2 1x12s don't do it for you, I would think adding smaller speakers would make more sense. An added 15" will just add bulk and too much meat, I would think. Of course, I could always take my 2 1x12s and my Aggie db750 into a store when it shows up, and try it out with a 1x15 cab...Granted, it might give someone a heart attack... :D

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like monkee said.

but overkill in terms of low end. might be a bit muddy and flubby, too. but a dual stack of 2x12's or four 1x12's... Ooooo, monster.... :D :D

4. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    The 2 1x12's already have a lot of fat and a lot of bottom, they definitely don't need help with that portion of the sound.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah I have the two 1x12 setup and it is very loud and has a lot of bottom, yet is crisper than a 15.
    maybe the loudness issue with the 2x12 was the fact that is might have been 8 ohms?
    two 1x12s gives a 4 ohm load and my amp puts out 600W at 4 ohms. I am almost too loud (I have to play with the amp volume at about 1.5 or I blow everyone away.

-KB

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Oh, don't think the idea of running the DB750 at 2 ohms (975watts!) with 4 1x12's hasn't crossed my mind.... Can you imagine having one on either side of the stage, and one on either side of the drummer? :eek: Oh, my.....

7. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    well maybe adding a 210 would make more sense for the 2 12's, but i was thinking to do a faded eq biamp type of dileo with the 12's being my mains cause they each have tweeters and use the 15 for my b fundamental since the 15 i'm lookin at *actually* produces 30hz. the 12's don't go lower than 41hz without dB drop and since i play with a 5 string half the time and use my b with love (but not too much, having a 5th string doesn't mean its the only one i use) so the 15 i think would be helpful. BTW i don't much care for the sound of 10's. 12's are much smoother and pleasant to my ears.

8. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    My Epifani T-112s have no problem with low B, and don't need a 15 to help them out. Don't forget that room response adds several-to-many dB to low bass - you don't need a cab that is flat to 30Hz in an anechoic environment to get response down to 30Hz in the real world.

If I wanted more booty I would add either my 210 or 410, not a 15.

9. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    My GS112's have no problem with the B also. In fact, it's why I picked these cabs over several others.

And really, even just running 225 W into each of them is pretty deafening. If I bridge and run 1000W into the 2 of them, I have to replace my fish.

10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    2x10 w/ 5" driver
    +
    1x 12 w/ 5" driver =

:D :eek: ;)

11. I find the Aguilar 2x12 has plenty of bottom end. I'd imagine a pair of 1x12s would be very similar (I'll find out when bassmonkeee gets his second 1x12 next week.) I would definitely recommend adding smaller speakers to a 12s set-up.. unless you're playing dub or reggae all the time. As detailed in this forum several times, I found the 2x12 didn't quite cut through the way my Eden 4x10 did.. close, but not quite. So, as bassmonkeee mentioned, I got a 2x10 to stack on top of it, and voila! It slices through the mix and still provides plenty of support.

12. what about adding adding 2X10 to a 15 would be much better than 2x12 right?

13. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    has anyone noticed that the post read 2112?

14. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, that combo has been around for a long time.

I'm just not a big fan of 15s. I think the 12 is a good compromise between the 15s and the 10s. They are meatier than 10s, but faster sounding than 15s.

The only way I would use 15s is if it was biamped with 2, or 4 10s. But, I've never heard a biamped setup that I've liked more, or even as much, as I like a mono rig.

15. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I'll be interested to hear whether the stack of 2 1x12's sounds the same as the 2x12. Seems like most people with ultrapositive reviews (like me) have the 2 smaller ones, while people saying close but not quite (Dave and somebody else?) have the 2x12 in one cabinet.

Extra tweeter cuts through better, maybe?

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you go to the Epifani,Bergantino etc web sites, you will see that most of the 2/12 cabs have lower frequency specs than the single 12's. I say this all the time but its the truth....the low end on the newer 2/12 cabs is massive! I don't think adding a 15 would be worth it......a 3/10 sounds real fine with a 2/12:D

17. Bassmonkeee and me are gonna find out soon, when he gets his second 1x12.. we'll A/B the 2 1x12s against the 2x12 and see.
    Just to clarify, when I said "close, but not quite," I was talking about my 2x12 in comparison to the Eden D-410XLT. I don't think 2 1x12s would stack up to an Eden 4x10, either.

18. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Dave,

Right, that's what I figured . I think the stack of 112s stands up against the eden, which is why I got them instead of the eden. So I'll be interested to see if you agree with me when you get a chance to compare the cabs. I bet you'll still have the same opinion, but you never know.

19. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I'm thinking of a 4x10 and 2x12 setup instead of the usual 4x10 and 1x15. What do you guys think????

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the 2/12 & 3/10 Bergies, and they sound awesome together!