1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The growliest 70-style Jazz Bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bart Funk Bass, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020
    I've got Alnico USA in my Fender '75 RI MIJ and I'm planning to change them for something close to the period. "Glide" by Pleasure is my reference tone. Any ideas?

Sparkl and Smooth_bass88 like this.
  2. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    What I hear in that recording has more to do with the amp, chorus and probably a coily cable reducing the resonant peak.

Polka1 and Nuage420 like this.
  3. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020
    Chorus? Are you kidding?

4. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Aeros. Type 1. Best jazz pickups out there IMO, I have them in my Lakland DJ. Thats what I would recommend. I also find them low in the hum department when solo'd.

if you want something period correct, try a set of Tom Brantley Geddy Lee pickups, copies of Geddy's '72 pickups. They are just accurate 70s pickups, they won't make you sound like Geddy.

FWIW, I have Fender Original Jazz pickups in my 70s jazz. They are Alnico II, lower output, but sound aggressive and glassy to me. They are also pretty cheap. These used to come stock in the Marcus Miller, Jaco, and Geddy Lee signature models. Cheap and great sounding, with that open sounding 70s jazz tone.

I could be wrong, but the recording sounds like a jazz bass with the neck pickup sounding a little stronger. I'm guessing its a 70's jazz, and the spacing has more to do with the tone than the pickups IMO. Also, some 70s jazz basses had 0.022uf cap as opposed to the modern 0.047uf, some may tell you this is a factor. The recording also sounds DI to me, so it would be more peak-y in tone.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Sparuto, wyleeboxer, smtp4me and 4 others like this.
  5. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    It sounds like DI recording to me, with compression reducing the peaks. I'd be amazed if you could actually hear the cable lol. No chorus, might wanna check again.

6. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Prepare to be amazed:
    Now I'd like to see is how you get a 70s J DI signal sounding like that recording.

7. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Not amazed, dont even know what your getting at. Everyone knows ridiculously long cables reduce output. This is why buffers exist. The bassist plugged his bass into the board, boom DI tone. Its not difficult to understand.

Ok, first of all, thats not what I meant. I meant that claiming you could hear the cable type from a 40 year old recording is impossible.

Second, I doubt very much that a ridiculously long cable was used to record this. Longest cable I ever used during recording was 50ft, and I never heard any ill effects. Any gain lost was made up. If you were concerned about cable length, any studio would be equipped with buffers, if you dont have any buffered items in your chain anyway.

Still don't know what point your trying to make, but the OP was not asking for this and you haven't really contributed the advice they were asking for. You said there was chorus (there isn't) might wanna check that 'cable' your 'hearing' again. Nor does that recording instantly make me think of 500ft cables.

josephhc1803, Ikkir, sonojono and 3 others like this.
  8. Don’t know how a 500 foot cable entered the discussion . I think the poster was referring to the period popular coiled cables like old telephones used to use. Quite possible the resistance in this style of instrument cable could affect tone in some audible way.

I vote Di Marzio Model Js for growl.

red_bassist and markanini like this.
  9. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Model J's do not sound like single coils. At all. I think think the OP might be looking for single coils.

lol I'd be amazed if anyone could hear a cable. Utter bull****

if anyone could tell me the cable but not the preamps, eq, board or compression, they are probably full of it. Buddy up there thinks he can hear the cable, but any of the post-processing has no effect on what you are hearing right? Lol

Nate Philips with a jazz bass, strung with rotosounds, that is what you are hearing on the recording posted by the OP.

InhumanResource, Ikkir and Aqualung60 like this.
  10. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    You can't tell the difference between a output level and a frequency responce change?

jbrew73 likes this.
  11. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    I can, but this isn't part of the conversation. Perhaps I meant degradation. But...

Show me where it says Nate Philips used a stupidly long cable to achieve the tone in the recording. Don't take a stab at my listening skills because i'm making your input redundant.

You can't tell the difference between clean DI tone and chorused amp tone as you suggested earlier, which makes me wary of your 'hearing' the cable. So whats your input worth to the OP?

Ikkir and Amano like this.
  12. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
    As mentioned above and in an interview with Nate Phillips, fresh Rotosound rounds on a 70s Fender Jazz, recorded direct.

My 79 jazz with the tone wide open sounds very similar (and it also has the correct pickup spacing, heavy ash body and maple neck, which I feel are important for that sound).

I've yet to find any aftermarket pickups that have 'that' tone you get from originals, but I reckon the Tom Brantley ones might be worth a shot. Definitely not the Fender 74s though; tried them recently and they sound way too thin!

Mili, erratick and vinnydbass like this.
  13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Amano likes this.
  14. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    I thought Canadians were not supposed to be confrontative. I hear a much more papery and sizzly tone from 70s style J pickups DI than what's in that recording. That type of bass punch usually comes from a speaker cab. DI could be blended in, that would explain the chorusey tone, but it had some tone shaping on the way in. A form of tone shaping was often incidental, a common style of coily cable in the era would have a large enough capacitance to do that.
    Going off a quote on the capacitance of Jimi Hendrix cable measuring 3300pF, the calculated resonant peak on a 70's J set in parallel(~1.3 Henry) would be around 2.5kHz which would sound rather growly.

SLPimp likes this.
  15. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Again were assuming a coiled cable? Seriously who cares? Theres no way to prove it, short of asking the engineer or nate himself. The OP wanted pickup recommendations.

Again, i dont hear chorus.

its fairly common to boost the 800Hz-2k range with a bass, again I'm really doubting your ability to discern which cable was used.

if you think you need an amp for punch, well thats subjective. Jon Deacon recorded 'Another One Bites the Dust' direct through an 1176. So again, short of asking the engineer or nate, you dont know. Do you have any pickup recommendations for the OP?

Amano likes this.
  16. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
    I agree about the generally increased punch from amp/cab, but pretty sure he stated in the interview where he discussed recording this that it was all DI. Nothing chorusey about that tone at all.

Whatever pickups are in the new American Original 70s jazzes sound good to me (possibly pure vintage 75s?)

vinnydbass likes this.
  17. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Valid point, At the same time OP could add a $2 0.003uF cap to his bass instead of spending hundreds of $ on a new pickup set. Or both if it helps him nail the sound.

18. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Yea ok, but this example is probably with the tone wide open. A cap would not offer a difference in that case. Some claim it does, others will tell you its your imagination.

sonojono and Amano like this.
  19. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    The pickups in the original MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz basses are pretty growly. The best ones (IMHO) are the ones with the beveled magnets but the ones with the flush magnets are pretty good too.

20. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Growl has more to do with with string type and action/setup and how the player controls that as part of their technique...pickups can play a role but are far from the deciding primary growl factor

Ggaa, 808P123 and markanini like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021