Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the gs 112 jump

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, May 6, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Guys i think i am about ready to make the gs112 jump...who has the best prices and am i going to be dissapointed? i have researched it here and everyone raves but when i look at evryones rigs the have no less than 2 10's! i will be keeping my 4x10 for bigger things or might get rid of it for another 1x12 if i really dig it. any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Get two.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    why?

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Why get 1 when you can get 2 for twice the price!;) Seriously, the difference is like night and day. 1 GS112 sounds wonderful, it is fat and warm sounding with a nice low end. 2 will be sickeningly loud and deep! Adding the second cab just adds so much volume and depth, you won't know what hit you! And yes I have a 210 but..............! Maybe a couple 112's one day:rolleyes:

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    why?

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    sorry hit the back button

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Speaking as someone who bought two--get two.

If you are playing jazz somewhere with a piano and a drummer, one will be more than enough. But, if you are playing rock, or anything with distortion, the added 1x12's benefits will greatly outweigh the added cost.

I bought one, and it was loud, and sounded great. I got it next to my hammer handed drummer, and it was was doing it's best and sounding great, but it just couldn't cut it against the drums in the room.

So, I added a second one, and it is so much clearer. Everyone is amazing at how it sounds. It's huge without being boomy, and has plenty of air with the two tweeters set flat.

Notes played on the G and C strings have never sounded better.

You might be okay with one GS112. But, it seems everyone who buys one, ends up getting a second one.

8. 2 is 1 and 1 is none if something breaks. heh.

But 2 would prolly be better..everyone that has 'em usually is happier w/ 2

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I tried one in a low to medium volume gig and it just did not cut it. A/B'ing it with an Eden D210XLT showed it to not even be close. Two OTOH is definitely a leap past the D210XLT with a fuller sound, very good low end extension and it just sounded bigger and easily could keep up in a band situation. It's a big though light 112 cab and you just have to hear them.

If you're not gigging, one may be fine. I've been preaching this (get two) since my first exposure to the Aggies and so far pretty much everyone I've seen who has tried one and then two says pretty much the same thing: huge difference.

Hey, try one.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like i've been saying ad nauseam, my Aggie rocks socks.

i admit at first i wasnt all impressed with the one i tried. sounded papery and 2D. lacked any mojo whatsoever. but while at G Guitars in CT, i was knocked out by how great the one i eventually bought sounded.

i do mostly small jazz combo's and am in rehearsals for a neo-soul, r&b gig, and my aguilar now holds together my whole sound. its all molasses in the low mids that loves my Elrick 5 string's low B. In comparison, my Bergantino HT112 is more sweeter like honey and is a bit more hifi and rounded. But, the Aguilar is definitely deeper sounding than the bergie. all in all, the Aguilar just has this vibe that i love.

a single 1x12 is good enough for me now, but once i start competing against keys, guitars, and even louder drums, a pair of 1x12's are a must. output wise about equal to a 4x10 or 2x10/1x15 setup (tho, not as thick in the lows).

Eden's are too honky, and tho Epifani's are simply sublime, they're also just toooo pricey. IMHO, the Aguilar's are the best tone/value you can get today. and the prices are starting to climb as a result of it. Aguilar's recently been on a price hike, so get 'em while they're hot.

you can get blemished cabs from Musician's Friend for about $299, but the lowest i've seen brand new is $350. haggle enough, and i'm sure you'll get that price anywhere.

good luck.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, $350 is about the best price you'll find on a new one. Or, you could completely luck out like me and find one for $255 on Ebay. Nyah nyah nyah. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Chuck Levins Washington Music Center has them for $345.00.

13. I just ordered one to go with my Eden head. I'm going to see how it does in my band situation and then get another in a couple of months. BassWorld in Louisville has them for $350. You can call them at 502-933-0307. They hooked me up.

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    my pro shop here in nashvegas has them NEW for 299! whatabagin!

15. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I have two GS112's and they rock. When I was making my decision the guy let me take them out on a small gig and I was only going to buy one but he convinced me to take the second along for the ride. What a difference. Its not that its twice as loud its just that it hits really hard and direct. Two of them are very punchy and low.

I played a club gig this last Thursday and I had more people compliment me on my tone:cool: . One guy described it as loud and punchy but smooth at the same time. He kept waiting for the distortion but it never showed. Good Luck...

16. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Another vote for getting 2. They should always just come in pairs. I have 2 of them and the sound is monsterous, punchy and warm. Plus they are nicely portable.

-KB

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Shhh... you might make Aguilar pull a Rik's Music on them;)

18. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    can some of you guys post pictures of your gs 112's? this may sound anal and silly, but i'm curious if there's any overhang when an amp inside a rack is placed on top.

steve

19. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I'm thinking of retiring my Eden 4x10XLT. It is a bit of a bear to lug around. And going the portability route also. Anyone compare 2 of the AGUILAR 12s to 2 BAG END 15s? For volume, tone, punch, etc. I'm curious to hear, as these are some of the possibilities I'm looking at. (I only play a 5-string).

20. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    here's mine (not a great pic but what tha hey):

[​IMG]

I'll place them on top of each other as well. There is a difference in sound; this is the louder of the two sounds. The two stacked on top of each other makes for a deeper sound. I have a loud drummer so this is how I set up for rehearsal. But for gigs it’s definitely the other way. The cab and SKB are pretty even if you lay them the long way.