Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Guess Who Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by page, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Anyone know who this is??? I was listening to some Guess Who and it hit me, that guy has some really cool melodic lines in most of their songs. No Sugar Tonight especially , he has a very creative style. Anyone else a fan of this guy or even know who he is ? Also , any know what kinda gear he uses, cause , it reminds me of a good ole Rickenbacker.

2. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    The bass player for The Guess Who is Jim Kale. Check out allmusic.com. They have info on everybody!

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like this guy, too.
    "Undun" is very cool..."These Eyes", too.

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I love the Guess Who!!! He's been with them a LONNGG
    time...When I saw them way back when, he was playing
    an old Jazz thru an SVT, and that was it..

Slug

5. Yeah , the Guess who are a real cool band. The singer has to be one of the coolest singers in rock, that swagger he has in his voice............its great.

But back the bassist, It seems like hes playing the lead guitar part most of the time, that bass really cuts through.

6. Jim Kale's Jazz was for sale at Gruhn Guitars a couple of years ago. Too bad I was broke at the time...it went relatively cheap.

7. Kale owns the band name and is touring as the Guess Who without Randy Bachman or Burton Cummings. That's a good scam if ever I heard one!

8. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    The Guess Who = Bachman Turner Overdrive = The Guess Who.

9. That song is the coolest. In the "White Bird" sort of way.

"I'm Lookin' Out For Number One."

I love those non-traditional loungy rock songs.

10. The Guess Who are great...the SECOND greatest Canadian band ever! Or is that April Wine? Both are fantastic!

11. Hey,

If you see Kay, tell her I love her.

12. Just between you and me I will.

13. Unfortunately, that exhausts my knowledge of April Wine songs. :D

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    man, Cale and Pappalardi are my favorites from that era...