Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Guthrie Center, Friday July 23rd

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Mike Dimin, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Michael,
    Julie and I are looking forward to seeing you at the Guthrie Center on the 23rd. I'm glad that I had the night off.

Mike Dimin

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for coming to the show, Mike!

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    A great show it was. At the intermission everyone was talking about the "guy who played bass" They were truly amazed at your brilliance. Something that, I hope, the bass playing community doesn't take for granted. Thanks to you

Mike

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Mike,
    have you recorded with John at all?

5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much, Mike! I’m just sorry I didn’t more of a chance to chat with you guys.

I’ve been on quite a few of Gorka’s CD’s -- maybe seven or so? I didn’t play on the last one, Old Future’s Gone, but I did get to play on most of the rest. It’s great working with John because he has such a gift for depth of expression. I always learn something when we work together. He’s also much more adventurous a musician than you might think. Several years ago when I told him I got a ten-string bass, he insisted that I bring it to the next recording session. I told him I tune it in very strange ways and I didn’t think it would necessarily be the best accompaniment instrument, but he really wanted to give it a try. He asked me to play it on a very cool tune he wrote called “Furniture” so I goofed around a bit and found a tuning that seemed to work. He seemed to like what I came up with and even ended up erasing his own guitar track so he could feature the ten-string more prominently. It’s a pleasure to work with people who encourage you to be more creative!