Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The guy I rent studio space from is really weird...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by miko, May 16, 2002.

1. blegh.

you guys are lucky, coz all you do is plug 'n play. with drums, it's always the eternal quest for a space that can withstand incessant noise.

after getting a petition from our building's condo board [we rent], i realized i had to find a studio. i lucked out and found a room 2 blocks from home, but the dude who i rent from is SO bizarre.

to start with, he's very brazen and foul-mouthed. i'm no angel, but i GENERALLY keep the truck-driver mouth within acceptable limits. every other word with him is f-this, f-that, and he's so acerbic in his delivery it makes me cringe.

he's also extremely territorial. he started out giving me a full room, then he moved in his desk and shelving units and cut that in half, but kept the rent the same. he always leaves his dogs' water bowls next to my hi-hat stand, and 3 chairs that limit my space even more. there's dog hair everywhere. he stole my set of regular and philips head screwdrivers, and started storing his dogs' blankets in the spare closet where i keep my other kit.

add to this that he's a very touchy-feely type who carries a gun and always makes suggestive comments about me which i find distasteful, and you've got a formula for one really annoying man. i might add that he's a guitarist and bassist who plays really cheesy jazz. everytime i'm breaking down my kit, i listen to him giving lessons, and i really feel sorry for the students. all they're learning is bad blues-based jazz, all so by the book it diminishes the very essence of that musical form. i'm afraid to say "alan holdsworth" on any given day, for fear i'll be evicted.

the rent's due today, so that's why i thought of this. the guy just irks me. but i need the space, and it's fairly cheap, so i'm stuck.

anybody else got funky music studio or general landlord probs?

one day i will own a house with a basement-
    miko

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My band used to rent space in Hyde Park, near Boston Ma. We rented a room from a guy for a few years, great, secure room, nice guy. He used to give us a break on the rent all the time. One day, upon arriving for practice, we were greeted by the police. They told us we had an hour to get all of our stuff out. Apparently, our buddy never owned the building. He was caught because the city noticed no one was paying taxes on it! He had even renovated it a little, steel doors, AC etc. Odd situatiion, but it was the best place we ever practiced!

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Miscellaneous.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So is he gay, or are you female?

7. embellisher