Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The guy with SADE

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I was Just watching a rerun of satuday night live and who's the guest musician

SAD'E

Wow the groove was Thick!!!! They started and had this azing groove going then held it right there for five minutes!

PS Amzing era of saturday night live! farley ,sandler and those guys are young and Dana carvey and crew are still there.

AJ

2. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    you mean Paul Denman???

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I dont know his name I just love that groove alot of thier songs seem to be one groove that develops from part to par. The rhythm setions can get this layed back but smoldering vibe and just sit right on that place and not move a inch.

I love it.

AJ

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Sade wouldn't have been half as good without Paul Denman.......one of the best groovemeisters out there;)

5. I agree totally, I think he was the main factor in her success. Wonder where he is now?

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Paul still plays with Sade, he was on the concert DVD from last year. Sade would have to be insane & suffering from big time LSD.....to let him go:D

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I saw Sade live in Spring 2002, and Paul Denman was still with her, and she introduced him as her musical director for the band. He's a great talent . . . she ain't so bad, either . . .

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, he's a groovy dude. I would love to hear what he does outside of the band, as I've only ever heard him play with Sade.

Man, now I have that intro line to Cherry Pie stuck in my head...

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Paul did a side project a few years back called Sweetback with a couple other guys from the Sade band..........it had great groove, but he mostly just played synth bass, but it didn't matter.....he still used his great sense of space & groove;)

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's a good player. Wouldn't want to be him though...repeating the same bar for four + minutes.

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Funny thats exactly what I love about him/drummer its like the James brown thing. I also love how they can play the same thing over and over and not move a inch. Tempo,swing,subdivitions.note deration RIGHT THERE, BAMM!

AJ

12. Funny thing...

I've mentioned Paul Denman, and that I dig his playing, several times on TB.

No response from anyone.

:confused:

It's so nice to discover that others see and feel how

Good that guy can groove!!!!!!!!
    :eek:

Paul Denman's playing and his Music Man tone are too cool for words.

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Good call, I forgot to give props on his tone in the first post. I'm not a MM fan myself, but he gets some tasty sounds out of his. Wonder what he's playing through.

14. "Sweet, as cherry pie...

wild, like Friday night"

This song kicks 'a big fat booty'!!!!

(to quote a fellow talkbassist who was describing macaroni and cheese)

:D

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    He's in my top 10 favorite players... I listen to his lines almost daily.

One of the best tones and grooves in the business.

Sade's voice affects me too. What a great team

16. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    Resurrecting an old thread. I LOVE this guy's work! It's so absolutely tasty and inspiring.

17. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    more then just "sweetback" too!!!!

i wanna say "groove collective" or the likes.... iirc...they/he made a video circa 02'.... playin a jazz in a basement.... it was a party scene.... maybe "huge groove".... the band escapes me... i wish i could remember...

either way... Denman is a killer groove player w/ very tasteful slap chops amoungst some killer finger funk! stamina for days!

18. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Does anyone know anything about Denman's gear?

What kind of strings he uses.... rounds/flats brand?

What kind of amps?

He has great tone, and Im trying to nail it

I already have the Stingray

19. The boy is a sweet lesson in restraint, as well as tasty tone.
    Check out 'Keep looking'. Velvety, I tell you...

20. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC

pretty sure BP did a cover story on him when Sweet Back came out.... he's also a producer (well...arent all bass players).... look into the BP archives.... if no luck pm me and ill pull the issue and give ya the dirt!