Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The guy with the revolver is the bass player, of course.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Mar 15, 2005.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Heard an interesting story on NPR this morning about a man named Frank Driggs who is 75 years old, and has collected over 100,000 photographs of musicians, mostly jazz, some dating back to the start of the 20th century. The interviewer asked him about this 1927 photo of the Jean Goldkette Band on their tour bus in New England:

[​IMG]

He talked about it a bit, and then she asked, "What's with the man at the front, holding the revolver?" And he replied, "That's Steve Brown… the bass player."

Apparently there was a lot of risk of highwaymen holding up musicians back then (and I thought that was just the Old West!), so they often carried their own protection. I thought: of course -- leave it to the bass player to do the dirty work, whatever it takes to keep the band together!

We bassists are all part of a great legacy, methinks. Even if we're not packin' heat.

Sean Mc

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    That's really funny cause I have an ex-marine and an mafia wannabe in my band and I was the only person that had the idea of gettign a permit to carry a gun for when we're on the road.

I mean... If you have a van filled with thousands of dollars worth of music gear, I want to be packing heat just in case.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No gun for me. I'll hit 'em over the head with my boat-anchor P-bass.

4. Now if only we had guns that were basses as well. Oh wait. Damn.

That's quite the picture, btw.

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Imagen if you will:

Robber "Hey you guys. Give me your stuff"
    Bass Player "Never you Jackel" *Points gun*
    Robber"Who are you?"
    Bass Player "I'm the Bass Player"
    Robber "HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ............................................................................you play a fish?"

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    How about this:

"Feel lucky, punk?
    "Well, you may ask yourself, did he just hit me with five strings or only four"
    "Well, do ya?!"

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Gotta love NPR!

:)

8. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Yeah! I like checking out old photos... Check out how small that "bus" is -- not a whole lot bigger than a van nowadays, and they've got 14 guys to cram in there, plus all the instruments! I don't think the bass player got much practicing in on the road.

Yeah, I admit I'm an NPR nerd. The stories are nice and in-depth, so if you're not into it you can just flip to something else, but when it's a cool story, it's really cool.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Don't forget the (sometimes) hyper-cool music between the segments. This morning, they played some Marcus Miller! :hyper:

Also, I like the balanced view they provide, they have no overt "agenda" like some "news agencies" out there....they're sorta like the US version of the BBC. They don't treat the listener like an idiot that can't think for themselves, they merely present the information.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Great Stuff, I can see the add now: WANTED. Bass player competent on both five string and frettless, able to sight read, pro equipment, ability to acquire targets instantly in an urban enviorment, proficient in the handling of wepons lights and the rapid use of multiple magazines in a low light aggressive defensive posititon, and finaly the ability to eliminate targets at distances up to 1000 meters using high recoil maximin tissue displacement firearms. I'm going to the range to practice for my next gig!

11. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA

12. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    +1 I do think they're not quite as aggressive and unbiased as they could be, but as news sources go, it's hard to go wrong with NPR/PRI.

13. It doesn't look like a revolver to me...

On a side note- the phrase "riding shotgun" didn't show up until the 20's. :confused:

14. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Before Lynard Skynard made it big, they were on tour as the opening act for Black Sabbath. On one particular night the crowd was being rowdy and unappreciative. Bassist Leon Wilkeson, delicately and tactfully handled the crows control by surprising everyone (including the band) by pulling out a loaded revolver that he had concealed and firing it into the air. The crowd stopped jeering and the band played on!

Bass guru James Jamerson was robbed of his wallet at gunpoint. Howver as soon as the thief turned away, Jamerson pulled out a concealed revolver caught up to the thief, poked the business end of the gun into the thief’s neck and demand his wallet back….then Jamerson demanded the thief’s wallet too!

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Just go to www.npr.org (to be precise: http://www.npr.org/rundowns/asc/buttons.php), and nose around, you will find a listing of all the "bumper" music that is played there, with descriptions of the stories to help you identify exactly which tune you heard. I heard the Marcus earlier today, and wasn't sure it was him, so I went and confirmed it!

16. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    GREAT stories! :)

17. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Gard, you just made my day. Thanks, mate!

18. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Hey whats a bass player doing with a 6 shooter?

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Because he was jealous of the guitar player.

20. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky

I agree, looks to be an autoloader.