The Hal Leonard Bass Method thread

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Well then. Moving on to Exercise 43, I had a question, but then answered it myself by looking earlier in the book. So here's my second question:

Why is it the measure cancels out an accidental? Why doesn't it just keep going until the note is corrected later on, wherever later on is?

2. Up to 49, Notes on the G string. Time to call it a night. Gargleblaster gets you eventually.

vishalicious likes this.
  3. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    That's one of my personal favorites to warm up with. That and the blues exercises.

Drestakil likes this.
  4. Finally made it to book 2 and have been working on the box shapes. Like everything else I've done in the book so far this seems challenging but doable. I still go back to book 1 exercises to warm up with. The ones that seemed so hard back then now sort of glide under my fingers. A real confidence booster. Can't wait until the box shapes are ingrained in muscle memory. I can see how practicing them could take your playing to another level.

vishalicious likes this.
  5. Did the notes on the G string, and now I'm into the following exercises that slowly incorporate the other strings. This is where things get interesting.

vishalicious, Inkdork and Drestakil like this.
  6. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    Joining this thread. Got my bass Thursday night, got the book this morning. I'm also doing the lessons with Yousician, but got through a few of the first exercises in this today after I finished up with the app. Will likely do all of today's work again tomorrow because I don't quite have it down smoothly.

7. Welcome!! I spent a lot of time on book one because I'd get confused with the notes on the bass staff. Been playing guitar for years and am more used to the treble staff. Now I'm getting where I can switch back and forth a lot easier. Just started Book 2 last week and it's got some nice challenges. It was a great feeling getting "Box Lunch" under my fingers. That one put up a fight.

I love this thread. Keep us posted with your progress Inkdork.

vishalicious likes this.
  8. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    I'm also taking violin lessons and relearning to read music (I could read it as a child) but I'm really only familiar with treble clef so I'm trying not to be completely lost with bass clef.

I am also having a heck of a time remembering what the strings are tuned to-I need a mnemonic to help me remember. Ukulele is "goats can eat anything" and violin is "goats do always eat".... But I'm stumped for a good one for bass /my baritone uke.

vishalicious and Drestakil like this.
  9. How about "Eat A Dead Goat"? Kinda gross but I'll bet you remember it. :)

vishalicious, RedVee and Fat Freddy like this.
  10. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    That's actually perfect! And goats are tasty! Thanks!

11. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    So I know this is a different book but I'd like to mention Rhys after finishing all three books I went on the "Bass Arobics". Be aware that this is more of a "exercise" book than a "learn the basics" book like bass method ones. It expects you to already know how to play. I'm only in exercise three go here's what I like and don't like.

Like:
    Makes you play in areas of the fretboard that Hal bass method 1-3 didn't.
    Has online audio instead of cd. You can pill up back tracks on a tablet or phone for practice
    Gets kind of difficult fast
    Tab including
    Week by week practice routine is nice

Dislike
    Not as fun due to the songs feeling like exercises
    Print is smaller and not as easy to read.

12. Thanks for the review. I've seen Bass Aerobics for years and it always seemed like more of an exercise book. My intent, should I complete the HL book, is to move to Ed's book, "Building Walking Basslines". I figure I might as well stay the course with the same "teacher".

Jhengsman and Drestakil like this.
  13. I never finished the Hal Leonard Bass Method books -- my teacher isn't a fan of 1-2-4 fingering, and I had plenty of other lesson material to work on.

I recently started working thru the Building Walking Basslines book with my instructor, and it's been great! I'm surprised at how long it's taking me to wrap my fingers around the basic concepts. My brain gets it, but actually playing it is a different matter.

I was toying with the idea of starting a copycat thread to this one for the Walking Bassline book rather than hijacking this thread so people can discuss their ongoing sagas of working thru the book. Any interest?

vishalicious, LarryBama and Drestakil like this.
  14. The 1-2-4 thing screws me up completely. I'm on a 30" scale bass, so my regular fingering isn't such a stretch.

Hijack away.

RedVee likes this.
  15. Hal Leonard book gets to OFPF on page 65. I still have 10 pages to go before I get there.

vishalicious likes this.
  16. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah, I just started book 1 and 124 is hard for me. My 4 finger is a bit gimpy and doesn't like moving independently and 3 gets a bit lost. :)
    I started but then left for a holiday sans bass; will keep at it when I'm back.

17. Just powered though 51-53. The fingerings combined with the sharps and flats in the same measure are screwing with me. But it's only for a few more pages. Seems like the last exercise with fingerings is 60. That's not bad.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    vishalicious and Drestakil like this.
  18. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Yes - As soon as I finish HLBM books 1,2,3 I'm going to start Walking Bass Lines. New thread would be great for that book.

vishalicious, RedVee and Drestakil like this.
  19. Inkdork

Inkdork

Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    I did my daily lesson with Yousician, which was mostly me replaying the same bits over and over until I nailed it.. and then moved onto the HLBM. I've still in the very beginning and they just introduced sharps and flats- a concept that for some reason my brain hates. It will likely click tomorrow- but not today. Still, I got about 40 minutes play time on her and I love the fact that my fingers don't get sore at all. I have zero callous and my even my nylon uke strings make my fingers sore after about 25 minutes.

20. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    1-2-4 didn't work for you guys? Wow, that really show different strokes for different folks! That fingering was a turning point for the better with my playing. I remember when I was in the earlier portions of the books and I could actually play relaxed.

By the way, the books do introduce 1-2-3-4 fingering in the third one I think.