1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Hal Leonard Bass Method thread

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Aug 18, 2013.

1. DJC12309

DJC12309

Mar 29, 2017
    Finished Book 1 this weekend. Now I'm going back through every song again before moving on. It's a good refresher of the songs I really liked/found challenging, and I may make a separate playlist of those to use as warm-up/practices later on.

My wife got me the Berklee Practice Method for Christmas, and I was kind of planning on moving on to that after Book 1, but now I think I'll wait and jump in to Book 2 and keep this momentum rolling.

2. The beginning of book 2 is easy compared to the end of book 1. I now expect the beginning of book 3 to be easier than the end of book 2. So, I have that to look forward to...

Howlin' Hanson and DJC12309 like this.
  3. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Congratulations DJC12309. I have a 22 minute play list of favorites I play each day which includes some book 1 songs. There is some great stuff in Book 2 and none really I can recall that were much harder then the final 4 songs in book 1 and many are a bit easier. Just good tunes as Ed had lots of fretboard to use in book 2. I try to hit my favorite list every other day and mix it up occasionally by adding a few and kicking some out. I almost always warm up with Stones-y and Etude Brute every day. So anyway I found book 2 to be loads of fun and still play a lot of stuff out of that book for fun.

I'm into the "build your own bass lines" section of book 3 and it is just hard as I have no creativity and basically am floundering. I've just about decided to get a human to help me with this section as I'm stuck in some not very creative ruts and boxes.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Bortass and DJC12309 like this.
  4. Bortass

Bortass

Aug 30, 2006
    Maine
    I started working on Gee Whiz. My reading is a bit rusty, so it's going slower. My teacher wants me to try and work on my reading 15 minutes a day. So I'm getting back into the book again.

@Chili_Time I understand the no creativity completely. My teacher gave me a basic bass line that had beats 3 and 4 as rests. We played it for a few minutes to get me used to playing a repeating pattern. He then wanted me to add in whatever I wanted in the rests. I just struggle at it and have no clue. Things ground to a halt as I tried to figure out what to do... lol.

I think it comes down to confidence and experience. I don't feel like I know what sounds good and with what patterns, so I freeze/lock up. I was noodling around with RS session mode and I started to find something that sounded good. I was surprised. Don't ask me what it was though because I can't remember, sigh.

Chili_Time likes this.
  5. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I think you're right. I've watched lessons from Talking Bass and Scott's Bass lessons where they make up excellent bass lines just using the root and the 5 or root and 8. When I go try to make up lines my lines sound lousy. I can mimic them and sound good, but my lines are just bad and boring. They are pro players and I get that but still they make it look so easy. But it is not easy (for me anyway). So I'm going back to the songs I like in Ed's books and de-coding the lines into the note pattern and rhythm pattern to try and learn why lines sound good. I'm playing with play a long tracks and jam tracks and while I think it is getting a little better it has been slow progress. I like the Talking Bass free lesion site so I've been using that the last couple of weeks. When I finish the free lessons I'll probably sign up for the pay area.

Bortass likes this.
  6. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    Quick question regarding this book. There's a portion that is extremely confusing to me. I've uploaded a picture to show what I mean..

In this picture you'll see a bunch of notes within the measure that don't correspond to the Notes written above the measures. Is this a typo or am I missing something here??

Attached Files:

MMiller28 likes this.
  7. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Read the text above the lesson; it says that the note is not always the name of the chord. Remember that most chords contain three notes which harmonize, so rather than always playing the named note (the root of the chord), the notes on the staff are one of the other notes in the chord. They still fit!

Bortass, PillO and bassman818 like this.
  8. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    Ahh, I see! So he's using the 3rd notes of the chord instead of the root in those particular instances, correct?

Other than in measure #3, he uses the 5th note (E) of the A Chord because it's directly below (or 'above' depending how one interprets the board) the B note in the G Chord right before it.

So basically we could pick and choose between R,3,&5 no matter what?

9. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    There's another fifth in there too if you look closely, but, yeah, basically you nailed it.

It's kind of an artistic choice. Sometimes (like in this case) you can choose the notes to make a really smooth line that slips up and down by small steps. Other times that's not what you want.

Also, all three choices (root, third, or fifth) feel kinda different. After lots of careful listening and playing you start to fix those different sounds in your memory and develop your ideas about which work best where.

Bortass and bassman818 like this.
  10. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    Great info! And thanks a lot!

11. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    I got confused on this not too. Even once I’d re read the text as I found I was playing the note above the staff instead of reading the music. I’ve had to put tape over it before so I can concentrate on the notes to play instead of the chords.

PillO and bassman818 like this.
  12. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Another question - someone mentioned that book 1 gets easier after learning the fretboard. So from page 40ish onwards where it starts to deal more with rhythm, rests and 8th notes. Is this true? A quick read ahead seems to look like it does as those are features im comfortable with. As I’ve mentioned I’m studying part time and working and have a young family so could use an easy bit for a while. I have 3 assignments to get in by the end of May. After that it’s bass all the way!

13. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I don't remember book 1 really well to answer you with 100% confidence but I recall it did seem to even out until the last 3 practice tracks of book 1. The last 3 seemed like a final exam. I can play them by memory now but at the time they seemed hard.

14. SoonerBill

SoonerBill Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Yet another question. The book uses a system where a flat or sharp note stays that way even if unmarked until a natural sign. Never seen music written this way before.

15. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    He's following standard practice. Wikipedia's article looks like a pretty good explanation: Accidental (music) - Wikipedia

PillO likes this.
  16. I was going to cover those chords as well. But, my teacher discouraged this. The reasoning being that the vast majority of the music you will read will include that notation. You have to learn to ignore it, so learn now or learn later. It is easier to learn now than to learn later. There have been a number of lessons like that including learn to read the next measure while you are playing the last measure.

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I will offer this:
    Each lesson builds on the last. It is not enough to be able to perform the piece to move on. Each lesson needs to be internalized for future lessons to be achievable.

So, much like everyone else, I want to progress to the next page, the next book. But, there have been times when I have been 'stuck' at a page for a few weeks because I have not yet internalized the lessons. We have added to those exercises as well. Things like now perform the piece with all the root notes on the E string, or now perform the piece in a different key. If I can do those things, it is clear that I have internalized the lesson. It has also prepared for future lessons.

I got that same feeling. The last 3 songs seem to require that you know all the material that came before and require you to do it simultaneously. And then you start the next book, and the lessons seem easy compared to the last lessons in the previous book. That might also be an artifact of the books being stand-alone courses but available in one omnibus.

Chili_Time and bassman818 like this.
  17. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    Well just mastered D Lite. Took like 20 minutes to get that SIMPLE bass line down. I cannot believe how much work it takes to learn music with notes versus tab. That same little line would have taken me like 2 minutes to learn with tab. I'm now dreading what the rest of the book has in store for me is D Lite could be so complicated! Haha :roflmao:

Bortass and Chili_Time like this.
  18. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I'll be the first to admit that I use tab if I want to learn something quick. But I have to say when you have both tab and the music score combined like you get with Hal Leonard Play Along books getting the rhythm & timing down is much faster & easier. So I'm glad I learned to read but yeah it takes a lot longer for me to learn somehing with just the music score. I'm also taking piano lessons and that has helped my reading comprehension for F clef a good bit. Reaading treble and bass clef really messed me up for a while but it is getting beetter.

19. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    D-Lite, specifically the part you mentioned, caused me so much frustration yesterday that my wife had to come down to the basement and ask if everything was alright. I know the notes, but my brain wanted to play the note written above them.

20. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    Haha!! Yea D Lite was a pain! But after getting a solid on it though, the notes in that area will come very quickly to you regardless of the song being played. Also, I'm finding that I'm not thinking of fret number as much to find a specific note. My fingers are starting to naturally go to specific notes on the fret board which I'm really digging.