1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Hal Leonard Bass Method thread

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    While I’m still struggling with excercises 57 & 58, I just picked up a music book which fell open at a random page and I recognised the song from the first bar of the bass clef. I’ve never played that song but just seeing the notes I could hear the tune in my head! That’s progress. Something is going in at last.

2. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Question about track 19, Book#3. In first measure there is an eighth rest after C note, but I think in the audio track, note C is not muted at all. Is it true or is it me? Also, anyone practiced this track, what do you think about it? I'm progressing really slow on that one.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  3. rebassist

rebassist

Apr 2, 2018
    Hi guys just purchased the kindle version over android.The e book doesn't seem to include the audio tracks. Have to purchase separately? Or is there a way to play it from the app?

4. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    No, it's not just you. I hear it the same way on the audio track. When I play it, I mute it as written or sometimes I let the note sustain through the eighth note rest as on the audio track. I think it is fine either way.

It has been over a year since I finished the book, but I need a refresher. Book three is challenging. When the written music got more complicated, I relied on my ears as much as on reading. I used the written music to get the notes, and my ears to get the rhythms. I would like to be able to play correctly without hearing the music, just by reading only, but I find the sixteenth note syncopation too hard at this point.

5. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Thank you for your input Consectaneus! I use the same method as you do and I also do the "math" for each measure first. I need to know whether it's a note or a rest on each beat because that clears things up when I start a new track.
    As I play again and again every track, although eventually I memorize it, I have found that I do less mistakes when reading simultaneously. I'm becoming a QR code scanner...
    Did you buy another book after you finished the HLBM?

6. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Yes, I chose Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass Lines". I wanted to continue working on reading in the context of simple rhythms while learning how to improvise over chord changes. Ed presents concepts in building block fashion starting with roots, adding fifths, then other notes creating major/minor thirds and sevenths, and different strategies to approach target notes such as chromatic and scalar. Along the way, he explains the reasoning behind various choices to make better lines. I think it's a good first step to a deeper musical understanding.

7. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    It sounds good choice, I will check this out. I really want to finish up this book and move on. I know it's not going to be any easier after that but I think I've been too long in HLBM and need a change.

8. are the easy pop bass line books decent? was considering them for my post method study.

9. BenSamuels

BenSamuels

Dec 11, 2017
    Ive finally finished book 1!! I moved house, so had to have a couple of months break, but quickly picked it all back up again, and managed to nail Etude Brute last night! Im so chuffed! Ive been using the book in conjunction with Sightreadingfactory.com any my sight reading really has come on a treat.
    The thing i found most difficult was when moving to position three and suddenly having multiple position options for the same note! Im sure thats going to continue to present troubles going forward, but hopefully fretboard familiarity will develop also.
    Bring on book 2!!

consectaneus, tzohn and PillO like this.
  10. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Congratulations on completing Book 1! About having more than one position for the same notes... once you get used to it, you'll find it extremely convenient! I'm sure by now you feel pretty familiar with first and second position... you know the names of the notes, you can see it in your head if you think about the neck... as you work your way up the fingerboard, that familiarity spreads too... One day, you'll have the entire fingerboard memorized, and you'll use each note location on the neck for it's specific musical quality. They are all different, understanding how to use them is what makes something ordinary into art.

11. MrKeef

MrKeef

Feb 15, 2018
    Reading this thread has inspired me to pick the book back up and start learning again rather than finding random songs online I want to learn. I'm making a promise to myself that I will try to practice an hour or two a night working through this book. So hard to stay motivated some days, life and all. Wish me luck! Going back in tonight.

Drestakil, edfriedland and PillO like this.
  12. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    That’s great! I know it’s hard to stay on task when you have a life, responsibilities, etc... But give it your best shot. One thing to consider is giving yourself a more reasonable goal... one to two hours a night would be awesome, and you’d benefit greatly. If you really have the space in your life, yeah... go for it. If you have a job, a family, or other time commitments that can’t be compromised...shoot for an hour a day.... even a well-focused 1/2 hour a day done consistently is workable. It’s the habit, and the clarity of focus you bring, not any specific amount of time.

bassman818, Drestakil, PillO and 6 others like this.
  13. I believe Hal Leonard was instrumental in persuading several tab / transcription sites to shut down, including the Chet Atkins board.

14. Evert

Evert

Oct 7, 2017
    Brussels, Belgium
    Joining the club, got my copy of HLBM last friday, finished ex. 50 in book 1 last night.

Background: i'm OK with music theory and reading notation, have played the bass in rock bands about 30 years ago. Did one year of lessons from sept '17 till last may, but can't afford another year - so I decided to continue learning by myself.

Main instrument is the drumkit, bass is 'accessory' (although that is not really the proper word - English is not my first language)

PillO likes this.
  15. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    You are burning through it! Let us know later where (if) it challenges you.

I'm on my second time through the book, and it continues to help me. Specifically, I now "get" reading syncopated 16th note rhythms, which eluded me the first time.

Drestakil likes this.
  16. Evert

Evert

Oct 7, 2017
    Brussels, Belgium

Main challenges seem to be related to proper finger settings insofar as I want to follow the method of the book - guess I need to develop some muscle memory.

consectaneus likes this.
  17. Evert

Evert

Oct 7, 2017
    Brussels, Belgium
    Progress goes a bit slower now: I have arrived at ex 76 (Eight Ball), but am not yet fully satisfied about my performance on ex 70 (Three Play). This last song is quite lyrical, and my playing isn't fully what it's supposed to be in that regard. I'll pick it up again next time i can work with the book.

Satisfied with my progress so far. We'll see how things move on from here

18. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    The 3/4 time threw me a little bit. A different feel after spending so much time in 4/4. It is a nice piece and I learned it well, but I still lock up when I see 3/4 at the beginning of measure. That proves to me I need more time getting comfortable with that count.

19. Evert

Evert

Oct 7, 2017
    Brussels, Belgium
    Think of a waltz rhythm when you see a 3/4 (oom-ta-ta-oom-ta-ta), you'll quickly develop a feel for the rhythm.

Drummer speaking here (remember, drums are my primary instrument): when we hear a 4/4 rhythm in a jazz or rock context, we're used to hear an accent on beats 2 (strong) and 4 (a bit weaker); with waltzes, the accent is on beat 1, the two following beats have no accent at all. I guess this difference in balance between strong and weak beats puts you off track, but if you remember the basic waltz rhythm as described above, you should be OK

consectaneus likes this.
  20. sbh06

sbh06

Jun 3, 2018
    I picked this book up a week ago in an attempt to help me learn to play the bass (which I picked up for the first time about 10 days before that). So far so good, I'm on page 29 and going strong.

I thought it was interesting that the book advertised play along tracks to assist with learning but when the book arrived no cd was inside. Took me up to this morning to realize the code to get the tracks electronically was in the first page...man do I feel dumb.

Anyway, I look forward to continuing this journey of improving on at least one thing every time I pick it up and play.