1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Hal Leonard Bass Method thread

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Aug 18, 2013.

1. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Well as mentioned, I recorded tracks 5, 6 and 7 tonight. Wow, the brutal truth is preserved now. I think my playing was not as good as last night, a few more hesitations or notes plucked too soft or hard here and there.

I also made an Anki SRS deck for the notes on the bass clef. Right now the cards just use the notation, but I'm going to record sound bites of each note or octaves of notes to add to the cards. A little assistance burning those notes into my head shouldn't hurt.

2. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Quick question regarding exercise 34 "Rolly" in book 1.

Is the A in the 5th measure natural or flat? The previous A in measure 2 is flat, but measure 5 is on a new line. I've been playing it as a natural, is that correct?

3. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    I don’t have the book with me but my understanding is that if the key dictates it’s flat or sharp it is always played that way unless it has a natural sign which changes it only until the next measure. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong here? The line has nothing to do with it, it’s the measure that is important. A new measure means it reverts back to whatever the key dictates (flat in this case).

928cat likes this.
  4. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Yes, it’s natural. Note that the fingering is marked as the open string. The second measure actually has both A and Ab as it descends to G in the third measure.

As Yonni noted one can look to the key signature as well and understand that marked accidentals reset each measure. This example is in Am / C, so all notes are natural, unless otherwise specified.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    928cat likes this.
  5. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Thank you Yonni and ErikP.Bass for setting me on the right track. I did some further reading on accidentals based on your input and have a better understanding now.

Regarding the Ab as the line descends. When I initially saw that, I thought it odd that it wasn't notated as a G, but figured Ed Friedland was using the Ab instead as a point of learning. Is it common in sheet music to see a note notated as a flat when it is equal to a natural?

6. Ab is G#, not G.

Drestakil, ErikP.Bass and 928cat like this.
  7. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Oh wow, thanks for correcting me! Not sure what I was thinking.

PillO likes this.
  8. Ed mixes up the sharps and flats within a single piece; something that you would not ordinarily see. I think it is done to help with the reading skills.

Yonni and ErikP.Bass like this.
  9. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Yes, you are correct. The accidental (flat sign) is good only for the measure it appears in (measure 2 in this case.)

bluejack, ErikP.Bass and 928cat like this.
  10. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Thank you, Ed. I'd just like to add that, after posting that comment I reviewed an earlier section of your book and you did clearly state how the accidental is cancelled on page 17. I had missed it or it did not sink in the first pass. Excellent method, I'm glad I came across it.

11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes it is common in standard notation to see Cb instead of B of Fb instead of E at times.

12. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Is anyone following this thread actively using this method? How's it going?

I just started number 75, Eight Ball. I'm keeping it simple, book, bass, wooden metronome and playing with the tracks via Audacity. I've been averaging 2 hours per day with this book, and since starting my progress has been amazing. I attribute a lot of that to how good and well thought out this method is. I'm definitely doing books 1, 2 and 3.

Drestakil and ErikP.Bass like this.
  13. ttp

ttp

Jan 12, 2018
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've sat down over the last week and have tried to put just 30 minutes each day with the book. The first time I bought the book I got it without the audio, so I bought it again with the audio, and I have to say, having the audio makes a huge difference in how motivated I am to keep moving forward. Looking forward to tonight and knocking out another 30 minutes or so.

Drestakil, 928cat and PillO like this.
  14. When I went through the books, I found that spending 30 to 60 minutes a few nights a week was a lot more productive than trying to go 2 hours on the weekend. So stay with the short practice sessions and you'll be on the right track.
    Also mix in a few songs now and then to keep things fresh.

Drestakil, Jhengsman, 928cat and 2 others like this.
  15. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Good timing on the words about mixing it up. After a few great nights of study, for what ever reason, I hit a bit of a brick wall tonight and took that as my queue to do something else. I ended up working on Wonderful Tonight from the supplemental song book. It was refreshing and things started clicking again. I'm going to start dividing my time on songs along with the method.

Drestakil and PillO like this.
  16. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Yep, well chosen lines and audio. They definitely make working through the book enjoyable. I'm around half way through the first book and haven't found any duds yet.

Drestakil, ttp and PillO like this.
  17. If you miss something in the book, or there's something you just don't understand, this thread is a great resource. Sounds like you're doing great, though.

18. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Hi Drestakil. It definitely has already has been a good resource. I find myself searching for replies within it from people that have already worked on and commented on various exercises that I'm on. That's been helpful and encouraging, as well, of course, the people that have directly responded to my questions here.

I'm now on the last two pages of book one, working on Shift Crazy Blues. I find the position shifting fun and challenging. My reading skills have definitely improved immensely from this method.

To this point, for each of the exercises, I've used these steps to work on them;
    a) Start by analyzing the piece by looking at the notes, timing, positions, and getting a feel before for it before starting.

b) Play through the piece by counting in my head or sometimes out loud. Usually repeating measures individually or in groups when necessary.

c) Once I can play it by counting, then I'll start using the metronome, playing it with only the click or with the click and counting, or alternately with the click and saying the notes as I play them. Typically before doing this I'll play the song MP3 and determine the BPM so I know what speed to work up to.

d) Finally I play with the MP3. This has typically been the most challenging, but working out the exercises to the metronome first has helped a lot.

Before progressing to the next exercise, I've typically got to the point of playing along well with the MP3, however towards the end of the book, there are a couple that I moved past that still need work playing along to, although they are good with metronome only.

Once I finish the last couple pages, I'm going break or a week or two before going on to book 2 in order to review the entire book 1, and also work on songs.

I may have said it before, but I really can't fully express how good I think this method is. It is amazing. 10 out of 10 stars.

PillO and Drestakil like this.
  19. I've been away from bass and guitar for awhile, but it's surprising how fast it's coming back. It looks like rain here for the next few days so it's the perfect time to get back to playing. It's just hard for me to stay with it during motorcycle season.

928cat likes this.
  20. 928cat

928cat

Aug 6, 2018
    USA
    Welcome back! I think at some level once we do something enough it cuts a groove into long term memory and it sticks with us and just needs a nudge to come back strong, and sometimes even stronger. I've spent several years studying French, and more than once noticed after months long breaks, I've actually seemed to improve. Maybe it was just an illusion, but at some level I think we continue to consolidate and strengthen even in the absence of certain things at times. I don't know.

Drestakil likes this.