1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Hal Leonard Bass Method thread

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Aug 18, 2013.

1. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I think it says you're on the right track. In fact, I think you should also move it up a notch and think in terms of 1/8 notes. These are the upbeats, and you will be into them very soon as you advance in the book. They make syncopation possible, which is where it's at and the sooner you get it in your bass brain the better. It's simply the beat when your foot is up (or hand if you are drumming) when you are counting 1/4 notes.

But take it slow and don't get discouraged. I have gone through all three books and think it's the best!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. SevenFlats

SevenFlats

Mar 31, 2019
    Hello everyone. I have a question, and bear with me because I'm in the process of learning music obviously.

In Book 3, Exercise 32:

It starts Bm then switches to F#7. If Im understanding correctly, the bass licks for the section marked F#7 are not in F#7, they are in Fm correct? I'm assuming the F#7 may be refering to the guitar being played rather than the bass which is in F#m using the pentatonic scale. Is that correct? Unless that's a misprint and it's supposed to read F#m instead of F#7?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  3. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    If a complete novice is buying the complete Bass Method book, are there any other books to read before it? Or is it the best place to start?

4. browndog

browndog

May 13, 2008
    Illinois
    This book is the absolutely best place to start in terms of learning to play. One good supplemental piece I would recommend is Stu Hamm's Learn Bass 1 course on TrueFire. It really helped me in the very first stages and I believe it is available for free.

TheBlueFalcon likes this.
  5. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Ann Arbor, MI
    It's meant to be worked through with a teacher, really. So it doesn't try to cover everything--like technical stuff that's easier to handle with someone standing there looking at what you're doing and adapting their advice to your body. So, great stuff, but if you're going it on your own, I might supplement with something. Maybe just youtube? I also had the "for dummies" book checked out of the library and it was better than I expected, and the stuff it covered might make it a good supplement to the Hal Leonard books.

PillO, TheBlueFalcon and browndog like this.
  6. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    +1 for YouTube tutorials. Learning simple songs and playing along to the recording gives you a real sense of achievement and progress when you’re just starting out. Ed’s book will take care of a lot of the technique, building speed and dexterity as well as time and reading. Learning your favourite songs adds to the fun and gives you a break from the book when you need one.

Jhengsman and TheBlueFalcon like this.
  7. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    This took me a minute to find it because I think you are actually referring to exercise 52 (track 32). You are right that the bass is playing an F#m lick below where an F#7 is notated above the staff. I think you've covered the possibilities. It's either a mistake or that is what the guitar is supposed to play. Of course that would mean the bass is playing a minor 3rd pentatonic against a major 3rd in the guitar accompaniment.

8. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    Thanks to others and yourself for replying.

I do plan to get some lessons at some point, but I hoped to make a start myself and see how it goes. The plan is to find some decent videos to make sure I'm not starting off with bad habits. So I've ordered the Bass Method DVD.

Unless I find any other options, I'll probably pick up a copy of the Bass Guitar for Dummies book as that includes access to online content, which includes videos.

I've saved some links which I think will help, StudyBass, TalkingBass, Dummies, various YouTube videos. Also, there looks like there is some helpful information in Carol Kaye's playing tips on her website.

I see recommendations about learning music theory, so when I saw a separate book from Hal Leonard called "Music Theory (Bass Method)" it made me wonder if I need a different book for that. If so, the other Hal Leonard book "Music Theory for Bass Players" seems like it would be better, going by the reviews.

My main concern was exactly where to start. I can't read music, I don't play any instruments and never learnt to. Although I had music lessons at school I was more interested in girls and listening to music at the time, so I'm really a complete beginner.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019