The hardest decision I've ever had to make.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm gonna be really, really emo for a little bit. Just bear with me.

I got my dog directly after we moved back to Lenoir City, Tennessee (where I was born) from Prattville, Alabama. I was just entering second grade at the time. I didn't know anybody when we moved back here. I missed the couple friends I had, and nobody at my new school wanted anything to do with the fat new kid that didn't speak unless he absolutely had to. I talked mom into letting me get a puppy, and we went to look at dachsunds cause my parents thought that'd be okay to have cause they don't get very big. We got to the breeder and the biggest one in the litter ran over and untied my shoelaces. We bought him, put in in the car, and when we got back to the house, I named him Homey.

He's 15 years old now, and can't really control his bladder that well anymore. He's got a big nodule on his stomach, and a couple knots on his back. He has a little trouble walking sometimes, but I never notice any obvious signs of pain or discomfort. He's getting cranky in his old age, and mom says that a week ago or so he snapped at my nephew (who is turning 1 Saturday) from a distance. I can understand all that, and if he was obviously hurting I wouldn't have a problem with this, but mom wants to have him put down and... ****, man. I can't stomach it. I can't even imagine it.

This dog ****ing adores me. I'm the only member of the family that he listens to every single time when I ask him to do something. There were times (especially when I got arrested when I was 15) that Homey was the only being in the entire world that wanted anything to do with me. Any time I go outside to smoke or whatever, he has to go with me, and he'll sit with his head in my lap the whole time and I'll tell him about my day and all that dumb ****. He never tells me what an ******* I am, never tells me how bad I ****ed up the other day. He's my best friend, and I don't know what I'm gonna do without him.

I keep trying to think of a way to keep from having to put him down, but there's nobody to take him that I trust enough for it, and I don't want to take him to a shelter.

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, and have a tradgey on your shoulders.

It's never easy, but sometimes, it's for the better.
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah. I know what I gotta do, I'm just not at all happy about it.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then get raging drunk shortly afterwards. Getting raging drunk seems to work pretty well. For the Irish, anyway. Figure a couple million of them have to be onto something, so give it a go.

Call it a wake.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're seems like that dog does adore. Remember that if you take him to have him put down. Everything scary or painful is going to be easier for him if you're there...including his last minutes in life.

brad cook
  6. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You love the dog and you don't want him to suffer or be given to someone who doesn't care. It's a difficult decision, but what is the alternative, more suffering?

People who aren't pet lovers just can't relate. When I was 24, I had to make the decision to put down our family's beloved dog (that I had since I was 10). I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby after leaving the vets office, but I was content with the knowledge that my pet's time was up and I prevented her further suffering.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Animals instinctively hide any pain or injuries that they have. So just because your dog doesn't look like he's in pain doesn't mean that he's not hurting. The fact that he has trouble walking sometimes means there's probably something really hurting him.

I know it's hard to let go of something that's been a part of your life for so long. I got a cat when i was in kindergarten, and when I was in 9th grade its condition slowly deteriorated to the point where it would just sit there because it didn't even have the strength to walk. It was really tough when my dad took him to the vet to put him down, but I knew it was the best thing to do.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    This will sound harsh...

But it is selfish of you to keep him alive in his current condition just because of your attatchment to him. Let him go.
  9. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I know it is. That's part of why I pitched such a fit earlier. I've resigned myself to the occasion now, it's just a question of when.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry Eyescream. I hope it goes as well as it possibley can for you and your dog. :(

11. Since you know what you must do, be sure that the day before he goes, spend the entire day with him. I mean literally, ALL DAY. Make him as happy as possible. It will be your last full day with him and let himk enjoy his last moments.

I've had the displeasure of putting several pets to rest, and this is the best you can do for the guy.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry to say it, but your dog is going to die soon. He's grumpy because he hurts. Why not help him ease the pain?
  13. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Been there before. Like everyone else said, it's not easy, but you know what you need to do. I don't care what anyone else says - Pets are family members.

Good luck home-y. :)
  14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My thoughts and good wishes go out to you and your dear family member.
  15. Nicely said. Kinda.

Eyescream, it's a horrible decision, but it sounds like you already know what you have to do. I agree with jr, make the last day as good as you can. Most of us have all been there, and know what your going through. I can't say I've ever had a dog for 15 years, but I have had ones for years that I loved dearly, and they've all gone under the needle. It's painless and quick, and definitley better than dying a *natural* dog's death. I'm sorry for your troubles though.
  16. Definately be there for him. Think of how terrified you'd be in a cold, sterile place with a bunch of strange people around that don't care about you. For you it's sad and it hurts, but for him it's the world, be there for him.
  17. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Sorry about this, Eyescream. This one's gonna hurt like a mutha******.....

I've been in that place, too. I had a cat that was about the only living thing I cared about after a nasty separation and divorce. The clue you need to look for is when Homey won't do the things he would normally do. For Waldo the Magnificent, it was refusing to sleep on the bed. That's when you know that you have to do the most unselfish thing you may ever don't have to LIKE doing it, but know that it is done out of love.

As for the above, Golden Boy has part of it right, if you have to go to the vet's office, you simply HAVE to be there for the dog. He's wrong about them not caring. My father is a vet, and I've worked in his office quite a bit -- they care much, much more than you think, and they're often just being strong for YOUR SAKE.

Finally, let me make one suggestion: look into different veterinarians in your area, because I know for a fact that some will come out to your house and do it there, which will be much easier on you and the dog......

Again, sorry it has to go like this.....
  18. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

Has it occurred to you, that the reasons he's so cranky is, he's always in a constant state of pain?

Those nodules are likely tumors, & the reason he's having problems walking is: Dauchsunds are genetically pre-disposed to back problems, eventually resulting in partial, or complete paralysis.
  19. My apologies, seriously.

I was wrong to say that the people at the vet's office don't care. I know they do. My girlfriend and I just went through this with her nearly 16 year old cat. When we went in to the Emergency vet clinic I vaguely recognized the vet and remembered taking one of my cats there around 5-6 years ago. I asked if she remembered me and if she remembered my cat with the burned paws. "Oh, that's right, the little grey one that jumped onto the stove- how's she doing?"

She recalled that from the dozens of animals she sees a day. She's got to care.

During the time we were there (it was a Sunday) so many people came in with sick and injured animals. While we were waiting, we had the talk about "being there" should Ms. Kitten have to be put to sleep. When I was walking out one of the staff came in with a cart and a huge dog was on it, but it was only a staff person- no owner. As I was walking to my car I noticed a couple crying in the parking lot and they left. It struck me as selfish that while they were crying their hurt and terrified dog knew no-one who was handling him. Your good and loyal friend for years and you can't bear your pain long enough to comfort them on their way out. Be there.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am very Sorry to here of the hard decsion that faces you, it is allways a heart break loosing your buddy.Be their for him in his last days, that will bring him some comfort.