Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The hardest equipment decision I have ever made.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lenny, Nov 3, 2000.

1. I am slowly going crazy trying to decide which cabinets to buy. Of all the guitars, keyboards, amps etc. I have ever purchased, nothing even comes close to the amount of time I've spent thinking about this. I'm leaning toward an Ampeg 1x15 with a 2x10. I'd like to go with a bigger cab, like the 8x10, but portability is an issue. Do bigger cabs make that much of a difference in sound quality? Maybe a better choice would be the 4x10 on top of the 15? I know that it's a decision that I have to make, but any advice I can get would be appreciated. Thanks, Len.

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Depends on what sound is you. I prefer an 18 under my 410 cabs. It gives a much fuller( or fatter if you prefer).

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I use a Ampeg 1 15 and a Ampeg 2 10 and I love the blend just enough lows and plenty o highs great portability but its all up to your tonal preference.

4. My rig includes a 2x10 and a 1x15. I love it and it's reasonably portable.

John

5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Just this week I acquired a 1X15 SVT to place under my SVT 4X10HE. HUGE sound now.

6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    what kind of head are you using?>

7. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    At present I am using a 2x10 above a 1x15. It is nicely balanced and I still have a lot of headroom in my 300W amp for the venue that I usually play in (i.e. a hall that can sit about 600 people). Once I had an outdoor gig and the same set-up was still loud and punchy enough on stage. Of course there was also a PA system. So it depends on your needs. I may one day get a 4x10 cab but this would likely because of GAS, and not because I really need the extra power for the usual venues I play in.

8. I'm using a Hartke 3500. I can't decide if I want an 18 or a 15 on the bottom. I tried a Peavey 18x210 and it was too "boomy" for my taste, but I haven't tried the Ampeg 18 yet. I'm sure there would be a difference in quality between the Ampeg and the Peavey. When I tried the Ampeg 1x15 and the 2x10 I liked the tone a lot, but it was pretty bright sounding. I wasn't able to put the cabs on the floor (they were stacked on another cab) because of the lack of space in the store. Does it make that much difference in terms of bottom end whether they're on the floor or not? Also, I couldn't crank my amp up because there were lessons going on. $@#^%$!#. It sounded great at low volume, and the guy said I would only love it more once I cranked it up. Normally I wouldn't buy into what a salesman tells me, but because they're Ampegs I'm prepared to beleive him. Len.