1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Harry Potter VII discussion thread *CATASTROPHIC SPOILER ALERT*

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Scarlet Fire, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    So I finished the (last?) book last night, and I've been dying to talk about it with someone.

Any takers?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    What did you think of Ron's death scene???

Or the bit where Sirius Black comes back in the Ford Anglia??? I wasn't expecting that.

Or the bit where Snape kills the merged Harry/Voldemort creature???

Wild.

3. I found that online, is it really like that?
    harrypotterspoilersgp8.

4. I'm not sure about the page numbers, but all those things happen

5. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    Yeah, that's about how it all winds up. Lupin and Tonks die before Harry is killed, though.

I take it you're not into reading the whole thing?

6. Was anyone else dissapointed in the epilouge? I think that it would have been beter if she didn't put that in. We all knew it would happen anyway.

7. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah, the epilogue was a little out of place, I think. I enjoyed the book for the most part, though. It got a little repetitive how the trio kept escaping getting caught or killed so narrowly and some things seemed to be kind of a stretch like how Ron found Harry and Hermione again by using the Deluminator. Still, I liked the book overall and I thought it was a good close to the series.

8. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    While the book could have done without the epilogue , I think it was a nice way to tie things up. I'm glad Rowling picked the ending she did, though. Any other ending would just be wrong, in my opinion.

One thing I still don't quite understand, though: How did Neville wind up with the sword?

9. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    It can be pulled by Gryffindors from the Sorting Hat, apparently regardless of the sword's previous location. See: Chamber of Secrets.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i was hoping to read about how more characters turned out in the epilogue. maybe i just don't have any sort of imagination.

who were rose and hugo named after?

...i knew that i had more questions about plot points, but now i've forgotten them. :/

11. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    It's a children's book.

12. Any book is a children's book if the kid can read!

- Mitch Hedberg. :smug:

Also, what's your point man, what, people cannot enjoy a kid's book series? Are you so ready to deny your youthful enjoyments that you'll in turn deny yourself a book simply because of its intended target market?? I often read "kids" books all the time to my kids, and enjoy quite a few of them. :)

13. Can you really say that anymore? I know it started as a children's book (and I was so when I started reading them) but it seems as if her writing has changed over the course of the series. I mean, this book was loaded with death, torture, and sadness. Its also ~750 pages.

Either way, I still love this series.

I just finished the book last night. Overall, my immediate impression is that this is my favorite book at the series. I don't think that will change. I absolutely could not put this book down, even to eat, until I finished it. I was kinda of waiting for Harry to somehow to all three Hallows and become like super-Harry to fight Voldemort, but I'm glad almost nothing happened like I expected. The only thing I really called was using the sword of Gryffindor to break the horcruxes.

14. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Here's a few of my favorite moments in the book:

--Snape takes over as headmaster of Hogwarts and his strict disciplinarian style results in the students wizarding skills and grades greatly increasing compared to the low achievement during the Dumbledore years. The Ministry of magic, at the insistence of gratified parents, gives Snape a raise and erects a bronze statue in his honor.

-- Hermione gets disgusted with the inept social skills of the available boys at Hogwarts and gives up on men. She becomes best friends with Cho Chang and they agree to open up a school of music to teach underpriveleged Asian women in the muggle world how to play bass.

-- Voldemort is captured and sent to Guantanomo Bay where he is forced to listen to 80's hair bands and is interrogated for information on secret Dark Arts training bases.

:D

15. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    Oh jeez, I forgot Neville was a Gryffindor. My bad.

Well, seeing as I was in 3rd grade when the first book came out, I guess that makes me the target demographic for this story, no?

Besides, the content in this book was far more adult than any of the previous books. There were hardly any "children's book" characteristics left.

16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Is it just me, or did anyone feel that the epilogue might be setting up a new series focused on Harry's kids?

After all, I'm sure Rowling isn't planning to just wile away the rest of life in comfortable seculusion... :)

17. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    ^

oh please, no..
    It's a good series, and it ended well. There's no reason to open up a whole new series from it. I feel the same way about Pirates of The Carribean. WHile I enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd, I still say the original was a great film that didn't need a sequel. And now they're making a 4th.. oh boy..

18. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    hopefully harry potter ends there...it wasn't dissapointing that he lived but I was so expecting him to die dead a permanent death for good so that there could be no more series. It's like greys anatomy with its new spinoff...the spinoff is gonna suck even though the original was good.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY KILLED HEDWIG! IN THE FIRST 100 PAGES!

and fred!? that's just wrong to kill one twin and not the other.

19. I enjoyed the book, I have no shame in saying that I read the first one when I was 10.

As for a spinoff I could see that happening. Maybe not their children but stories still set in the world she created.

20. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    NINETEEN years. I think everything else is correct. I had seen this in another forum the day before I got the book. No spoiler warning or anything. :spit: Kinda ruined the book, which I think was fantastic, for me. :mad: