Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Hartke 1400 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jan 3, 2001.

1. The specs at music123 are as follows:
    -----

The 1400 Head supplies 140 watts (or 80 @ 8 ohms) of Hartke power. With a preset contour control, switchable compression and 4-band graphic EQ to give you control over your tone.

*Power: 140 Watts at 4 Ohms
    80 Watts at 8 Ohms*

Contour Preset 4-Band Eq

Switchable Compression

*Total Harmonic Distortion: Less Than 1% At Rated Power*

*Signal-To-Noise: 68.6 dBm*

*Bipolar Design *

Headphone Out

*Effects Send & Return*

-----

Ok, seeing I don't know anything about the head/cabinet relationship, please explain the things I mark in between the *s. Thanks!

2. the 140 watts @ 4 ohms means that when you use a 4 ohms cabinet, it will give the cab 140 watts and when you use an 8 ohm cab.. it'll get 80 watts...

The effect send & return just means you can have effects in a loop from the amp and back...

Hope i helped ya

-Willz

3. Yes thank you.

I forgot to mention, I play varied styles, funky slap, rock, and grunge/punk. And I have a Squier P- Special, that I *might* defret. If that helps.

Also, judging from what you said above, if I get that head, it will give 140 watts at 4 Ohms to a 4 Ohms speaker. Ok, say the speaker is only capable of handling 130 watts at 4 Ohms, will I blow out the speaker?

Conversely, if the speaker is capable of handling 400 watts at 4 Ohms or something like that, will the head fry?

And another question. If the head can give the speaker 140 watts at 4 Ohms. What if the speaker can only handle 140 watts at 8 Ohms, will something blow?

I guess I am just asking, what does it take for something to blow/fry/explode/implode/insert verb of choice here?

PS: Obviously I only have a combo. A Peavey 112. Combos are nice and simple...

[Edited by ThePaste on 01-03-2001 at 06:09 PM]

4. Also, judging from what you said above, if I get that head, it will give 140 watts at 4 Ohms to a 4 Ohms speaker. Ok, say the speaker is only capable of handling 130 watts at 4 Ohms, will I blow out the speaker?

You should be fine

Conversely, if the speaker is capable of handling 400 watts at 4 Ohms or something like that, will the head fry?

No. The cabinet is able to handle 400 watts or less RMS.

And another question. If the head can give the speaker 140 watts at 4 Ohms. What if the speaker can only handle 140 watts at 8 Ohms, will something blow?

As the specs state, this head only produces 80 watts at 8 ohms. No problem there.

I guess I am just asking, what does it take for something to blow/fry/explode/implode/insert verb of choice here?

To make something blow, you usually have to either A) Exceed the cabinets rated peak power by quite a bit over a sustained period, or B) push your amp into clipping for a sustained period, causing it to produce a distorted signal. Normally, it's clipping the amp that kills speakers, not too much power.

5. Ok thanks for that info. Also, when I said "What does it take for an amp to blow" I really meant in relation to Ohms and wattage.

I am nice to my amp and if it starts to clip I stop playing. Sometimes I go outside... I HAVE seen daylight, contrary to belief.

6. Does anyone HAVE a 1400 head? Could you tell me about it?

7. Your head shouldn't blow unless it's defective from the start or you allow it to overheat.

8. hey paste

at the moment, i'm using the 1400 with a peavey 115 bx bw (1x15" 'black widow' speaker), which i think is rated to about 700 watts at 4ohms, which is rediculous if ya ask me, but none the less, it is the sweetest sounding rig you will ever hear.

well any way, i've never had any trouble with it, except that when i use it at large gigs and use it all day long at a high out put, then it tends to heat up, but i guess that's expected. also, it only has one out put, so i can only drive one cab off of it.

so what i'm sayin' is the 1400 is probably the best, or deffinetely one of the best 'smaller' amps, or amps for smaller venue or studio applications. it has a preset contour curve to make it sound like a tube amp, 4 band graphic eq, a compressor limiter so you can't fry it, an effects loop to give you cleaner effects, but no direct output which is a pity.

that's all from me for now, let me know if ya need more info.

later
    lexy

9. Hey Lex_the_punk:

How loud is it? I just realized that 140 watts, and 80 watts (at 8 Ohms)at 68.6 dBs , isn't that much. Maybe you could give me examples of how loud it would be in a basement, gymnasium, and such. How about a restaurant? (Of course, through your speaker, man that's a beast. There's one in the classifieds in my local paper for $150, should I get it?)

[Edited by ThePaste on 01-14-2001 at 08:11 AM]