Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Hartke Transporter VS XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flaghard, Oct 17, 2004.

1. flaghard

flaghard

Oct 17, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    i love the sound of hartke, but when ever i go to a music shop, i can never get a straight answer on the difference between the hartke tp, and the hartke xl. i want to know if the aluminium cones in the xl are better, do the harte aluminium cones rust. ( im thinking of purchasing a 2x15 hartke xl, and i want to know everything i can).

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Aluminum does not rust. That's why they used it as siding for houses. ;)

That said, I'm not sure how Hartke 115's sound other than one I played in a KB-15 which I didn't like. As SMASH said, try one for yourself if possible.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The Transporter series uses cheaper speakers with smaller magnets, in a sealed box. The XL is ported and uses more expensive aluminum cone drivers in a ported box.

The transport series is designed specifically to be as light as possible. They are less efficient because of the different drivers.

4. flaghard

flaghard

Oct 17, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    thanks esp-ltd for the facts on the two speakers,

5. Do yourself a favor and try the Pro series (especially the 2200)...best Hartke/Samson product in their line. The only Hartke cab I'd purchase again.

6. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    +1

I have one, ( w/ a Hartke 4000 head). Ive tried the whole Hartke line of speakers and heads ( as of 2002) and have very diverse tastes in music and that cab is able to do them all resonably well.

It eventually will be a strictly "home" practice setup. I plan on getting cabs that are more suitable to my needs, but this will hold me over until I can afford what I really want. ( I really want to try out the Accugroove Bill Dickens Signature cabs, becasue if it delivers as described, I'm hooked. but barring that its likely either Bag End or Schroeder.)

Overall, If I was you I would try out other makes of cabs as well, unless you are firm about getting that "Hartke sound".

7. Oh yeah...and it's like $350 new! Can't go wrong.

I've owned all 3...well, not the Dickens models, but a Whappo Jr. - gotta tell ya, I think the Bag End line is the most musical cabs going...aside from paying huge $$$ for Meyer or Clair Bros. - The Schroeder and AG have (on paper) the ability to handle a bit higher wattage...but I still give the nod to the better sounding cabinet(s) - Bag End.

8. How come? I never tried Hartke so I can't comment, but I thought the 4.5XL was a fairly well regarded cab?

Have you tried Yorkville? I got an older 2x10 and 1x15 and love them. Easy to fix to if something goes wrong (like hooking up a faulty power amp).

9. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Out of all the Hartke's that I've played thru (not very many and all were 1x15's), they all seemed a bit too bright for my taste. HAd to do some tweaking on the EQ.
    I do have a Kickback 10 for practicing at home and it sounds pretty good for a 1X10 at 120 watts - it breaks up with heavy playing on the B string, but that's understandable.
    Anyway, I love the look of the alum. cones, but they're a bit too bright for me, and I like a bright tone, so....

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Transporter drivers use smaller magnets than the XL drivers and handle less power. The cabs themselves are made out of thinner/lighter wood. End result is they sound a little more "blurry" than the XLs.

Better to buy a used XL for the price of a new Transporter.

I've used the XL cabs many times on large festival stages (they are very common in rented backlines) and always got an acceptable sound from them, even for my DB which says a lot.

As far as being easy to blow, rental companies and touring professionals will not use gear that breaks down a lot. Any speaker can be blown if you abuse it and I suspect Hartke is really not any worse than other brands in this regard.

11. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I use the 4200 Pro-series 4x10 - I find the alum. cones do have a brighter sound than the speakers in the vx series . Either you do or don't like the sound that alium. cones deliver .The Pro series also uses a lager cab than the other Hartke series cabs. As far as low end the Pro series does produce more low end than the other hartke series of cabs.

12. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    I second what brianrost wrote word for word.