Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Haunted Ebay Painting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Apr 2, 2003.

1. I was surfing around the net and found this story on a Painting that was being auctioned off on Ebay, The owners say that the painting was haunted and needed to get rid of It, I saw the picture and It sent chills up my spine looking at it, Its not even bloody or gory or anything like that, Its just a painting of a boy and a doll, But It may just be haunted, The painting is named 'The hands resist him" by Bill stoneham, Here is the original text from the Ebay ad:

WHEN WE RECEIVED THIS PAINTING, WE THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY GOOD ART. A " PICKER " HAD FOUND IT ABANDONED BEHIND AN OLD BREWERY. AT THE TIME WE WONDERED A LITTLE WHY A SEEMINGLY PERFECTLY FINE PAINTING WOULD BE DISCARDED LIKE THAT. ( TODAY WE DON'T !!! ) ONE MORNING OUR 4 AND 1/2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER CLAIMED, THAT THE CHILDREN IN THE PICTURE WERE FIGHTING, AND COMING INTO THE ROOM DURING THE NIGHT. NOW, I DON'T BELIEVE IN UFOS OR ELVIS BEING ALIVE, BUT MY HUSBAND WAS ALARMED. TO MY AMUSEMENT HE SET UP A MOTION TRIGGERED CAMERA FOR THE NIGHTS. AFTER THREE NIGHTS THERE WERE PICTURES.THE LAST TWO PICTURES SHOWN ARE FROM THAT 'STAKEOUT'. AFTER SEEING THE BOY SEEMINGLY EXITING THE PAINTING UNDER THREAT, WE DECIDED, THE PAINTING HAS TO GO.PLEASE JUDGE FOR YOURSELF. --- BEFORE YOU DO, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING WARNING AND DISCLAIMER. ----WARNING: DO NOT BID ON THIS PAINTING IF YOU ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO STRESS RELATED DISEASE, FAINT OF HEART OR ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH SUPERNATURAL EVENTS. BY BIDDING ON THIS PAINTING, YOU AGREE TO RELEASE THE OWNERS OF ALL LIABILITY IN RELATION TO THE SALE OR ANY EVENTS HAPPENING AFTER THE SALE, THAT MIGHT BE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS PAINTING. THIS PAINTING MAY OR MAY NOT POSESS SUPERNATURAL POWERS, THAT COULD IMPACT OR CHANGE YOUR LIFE. HOWEVER, BY BIDDING YOU AGREE TO EXCLUSIVELY BID ON THE VALUE OF THE ARTWORK, WITH DISREGARD TO THE LAST TWO PHOTOS FEATURED IN THIS AUCTION, AND HOLD THE OWNERS HARMLESS IN REGARD TO THEM AND THEIR IMPACT, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED

The text is a bit longer but I didnt want you all to have to read for a year, Well heres the Picture:

Oh yea heed of warning, People have email the new owner of this painting saying that just looking at it cause them to become Physically Ill, or have a black out type syndrome. So view at your own risk ( And no its not one of those look at it for a minute then A monster pops up and scared the living crap out of u, its scary enuf as it is)

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Do you have the url for this auction? I find it kind of funny myself.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That is a creepy painting...wow....didja notice all the hands behind the class in the backround? *shudders*

Yeah, I was suspicous that it might be one of those animated Gif pranks, but then I noticed the picture was a .jpg so people don't have to worry about that....it is a gnarly picture though.

4. The auctions over now, It was held in like 2000, its not even in the archives anymore, I believe they sold it for like $1,350, And they got it for free too, now thats a deal, well except for the hauntings and stuff....

5. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I remember seeing something about this at www.snopes.com
    that is, the urban legends reference page. It had a link to a site that studied the painting in depth. I'll be sure to post it here if I find out more.

btw, urban legends are my thing. So if there's any other related stuff you have on your mind, be sure to post the, I should be able to add some insight.

6. Yea, that painting kind of creeps me out...who's the freak won that?

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow, that is a creepy painting. I can't put my finger on why - but the girl's eyes and the boy's forehead have something to do with it.

Anyone who's looking for an album cover... :D

8. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    the buyer was an art collector. He claimed that he bought it simply because he liked the composition and he is currently selling prints. Woo yay, more scary pictures.

9. i think it looks pretty cool, actually

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..Wow, now that's interesting!

My mum would be geniunely greatful for that as a gift (she's fascinated by 'morbid' things ranging from urban myths to FBI file tv documentaries).

Ta for sharing that!

11. A she actually, She collects lots of scary paintings like this.

And yes im also a big fan of the Supernatural things like Ghosts, haunted places and Urban Myths and such, Ive just been really interested in it since I was a little kid, But, I have yet to actually see a spirit or even feel the presence of one, yet...

12. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I personally think it's all about the power of suggestion. I've looked at the picture for extended periods of time, and I'm perfemust kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunnyctly fine. It's all a load of bull shmust kill bunny must kill bunny must kill bunnyit

13. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    that kind of stuff kind of freaks me out. At least untill i forget about it.

Of course its all a bunch of nonsense, but still, its pretty creepy.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Maybe I can up my sales if I claim all of my paintings are haunted. I've got some nude self-portraits-that should be scarier than anything else out there.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Man, that's going too far!!!! ;)