Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'The Hazing' What the heck is this?!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Microbass, May 8, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like powderpuff games, but I could do without the pig intestines. Unless, of course, the had the whole pig stuffed back into the intestines, which would then be considered sausage. MMMmmm, sausage...

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Hazings are stupid. I mean who would go through that sort of thing just to fit in with the right high school clique? Really, what a bunch of sheep!

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

4. Thats just pathetic.:mad: A similar thing happened at my old high school this year but on a smaller scale.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

This is nothing new at all.

6. :D

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Thank god I've never heard about something like this here, except maybe in "Burschenschaften" [old fraternities, some with fencing rituals], but nobody in their right [or rather left :p] mind applies there, they're dying out.

8. Lats night when I caught the tail end of this, I thought it had been a gang of senoirs had jumped the juniors, and I felt bad for the those who got an ass kicking.

I read up on this after school, and they are idiots.
    They deserve what they got, and the 'ring leaders' deserve what they're gunna get.

I really can't believe that someone taped it, and routed for the senoirs, and everyone stood and watched. Idiots.

9. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    The video was truly horrifying.

Where were their parents?

10. Same thing happens in college, only it's official and called the Greek system. :)

12. It should be noted that Glenbrook North is one of the wealthiest high schools in the Chicago area, and the Spoiled Brat quotient is much, much higher than normal.

Still, hazing goes on just about everywhere in America, and as long as community and business leaders are people who have been through fraternities, it will never go away.

13. Supposedly, the parents were out buying beer for the kids.

14. Where is the video, I want to see it.

15. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    And what about those "Pirate Kitty" avatars?!?!? Oh, sorry about that...wrong clique. :D ;) :meh:

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Reminds me of the movie "Dazed And Confused".

17. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Yeah, except they have better buds in Northbrook.

18. What is "hazing" ???

I mean, it's pretty bad waht happened, but giving it a name like that seems to make it seem quite normal, quite trivial.

:meh: :(

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Acceptance, or 'initiation' into a group or clique by virtue of humiliation, physical abuse or emotional battering. Sounds terrible, dunnit? But it is quite a normal practice, and is pretty much an acceptable part of life in its more light-hearted forms. When you're breaking into a new group of people (established friends that know each other already), for instance, there's usually the obligatory verbal potshots and rough-housing that is generally meant as a 'hey, we think you're alright, man'. In this context, however, it's just not on. Disagreeable to the max.