Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The HEAVIEST bass that you ever played

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scooby D, Oct 26, 2000.

1. Scooby D

Scooby D

Oct 3, 2000
    Hello, Scooby here! Hey you all,whats the heaviest bass that you've ever gigged with or just tried out? And when I mean heavy I don't mean sound wise, I mean break your back throwout your shoulder, and bust your nads type of HEAVY! I have a Hamer Cruise 5 string that I dearly love, but by the time the gig is over I feel about 80 years old! Oh well, that's rock n' roll! See Ya.

2. Without a doubt, the Gibson Thunderbird is the heaviest bass I have ever played. What a Beast!

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'll second that...and add a Les Paul that a friend used to have.
    Also...the old Peavey T-40. That puppy was HEAVEY....:)

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    For me..
    The Warwick Dolphin Pro I, is the heaviest bass i've played.

5. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    T-Bird followed by T-40...for sure.

Best Wishes

6. I'm sure different specimens of the same model can vary since each piece of wood is individual. The heaviest bass I've owned was an older Yamaha TRB-5P which weighed in at about 10 pounds. Currently my G&L L-2000 is a close second but not quite as heavy (my L-2500 is actually lighter by quite a bit).

7. Aside from my current Kawai I would have to say a Les Paul bass and a Gibson RD Artist are probably the heaviest.

Right next to ME!

8. Ibanez Musician.

9. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Old Harmony 4 string. The body on that baby is about 3" thick.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my doubleneck weighs 27 lbs. does that count? :D

11. T-bird and T40. They are total logs. At least the T-bird sounds good ;)

My old BC Rich Wave was a pretty solid piece of mahogany, too.

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    no jon.. no it doesnt.. bow your head in shame.. you know that a soundgear is the heaviest of all! lol =oD.. 27 pounds.. man.. whew how do u do it jon? i couldnt play one song on it...

13. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    my yamaha bb nate east is pretty heavy! sure sounds good though!

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    John Myung's Signature Yamaha? :)

DM

15. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    It would have to be either my '88/89 Musicman 5 string or a '60 Fender P bass that I had at one time. The Fender had great tone but it would wear you out playing a four hour gig with it. The MM would give me sore muscles where the strap sat, but after playing it for a lot of years it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

16. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    T-birds really aren't that heavy, they're just unbalanced. If you want a heavy bass, go pick up a Gibson RD Artist or a Victory bass.

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My 77 Jazz bass weighs in at around 12 lbs, that could cause a nice hump back ;)

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll agree with the RD Artist(Man! I wish I could find one of those!) and the Victory, the heaviest I've ever played was my first bass, which was a really good memphis P Bass copy, this was back in the days of 80 lb P basses and it fit the bill, and my Peavey T40 was almost as heavy.

Of more modern basses, those bubinga Warwicks with the wenge baseball bat necks are very heavy, almost every Modulus I've ever played was a backbreaker, and here's another vote for the John Myung Yamaha. I couldn't believe that such a sleek looking bass could be so heavy!

19. I played a metal double bass, does that count?

20. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I may have played something heavier but the Ibanez ATK is the one that really stands out for me. I saw one at the music store A coulple of months back decided to play it just for sh*ts. I grabed it and couldnt beleive how heavy it was. What kind of wood is that??