1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Heifetzbass- Mid 1800's Markneukirchen...PRICE DROP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Heifetzbass, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    It is official, I am putting up for sale my beloved Heifetz bass. I have been debating this decision for at least a full year. My playing demands have changed, and although this is a great orchestral instrument for me, it is just too big to do too much else with.

I am not an overly tall guy, about 5'9", and this is an extremely long bass. The body size is more like a 7/8, but the string length is full size. I will include measurements later. For those of you that don't know the story, this bass is signed by Jascha Heifetz on the upper right rib, dated 1940.

I will probably commission a new instrument, but I am not in a position to do that without selling this bass first. I have another instrument to tide me over.

Heifetz004-1.

Heifetz001-1.

More pics available: http://photobucket.com/gencarelli_heifetz

Measurements:
    Overall Height- 74.5"
    Back table- 47.5"
    Top table- 46.5"
    Bottom Bout- 26.5"
    C- Bout- 15"
    Top Bout- 20.25"

Ribs- Bottom Bout- 8"
    Upper Bout- 7.75"

Mensure- 43.25" (I currently have the bridge cheated up a bit)

This is not a factory made German bass, it is handmade and very good quality. It has the original neck setting. The bass was looked over by Arnold Schnitzer this summer and he said the bass was in "excellent health". We discussed options to make it more playable for me, but I decided that this instrument was just more suited for someone over 6'0", and that I didn't want to mess with it's mojo.

I am being realistic with this price, so I am not going to do a lot of negotiating, but some trades might be considered. (Double basses and bows only.)

$12,000.

Thanks for looking,
    Brian

2. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I have to bump your bass. I love it. I'm a small guy 5'7 and a half, but I love big basses. Nothing gets me more excited than to see a beautiful, big-ass bass.

3. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    what G&D strings are these?

4. Evahs.

5. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Herbie- thanks man, I really like it too. If I could just sit back in an orchestral setting with it the rest of my life, that would be OK, but my back and shoulders aren't getting any younger...:crying:

Yes- thanks KFS they are Evahs. These pics were taken a while ago... I now have it fully strung with the permanents.

However, if you have a specific set of strings you play and are really serious about the bass, I will be happy to string her up with whatever you play...

It would make a great jazz bass, and I can set it up that way as well. Also, the extension can be removed.

Thanks for looking,
    Brian

6. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Bump!

7. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
  8. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    if you sell the bass, will you change your nickname?

9. anahata

anahata

Sep 12, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    Has the bass had any of the work discussed in the second Smith thread? Looks like a nice instrument.

10. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    I discussed the work that was mentioned with several luthiers including Arnold Schnitzer, Mike Shank, and the guys at Upton. However, I really like this instrument the way it is... I don't have the desire to completely re-work it. I would rather just have someone larger framed than I be able to play this bass the way it is.

I am playing Carnival of the Animals with a chamber orchestra this week. I will try to record an excerpt and post the Elephant.

BG

11. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Maybe... :eek:

Hopefully, I can find a bass with a label or special moniker!

12. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Good Morning,

I was able to bring my Zoom H2 to dress rehearsal last night for the performance tonight. I set the H2 on a mic stand about 1/3 of the way back in the house in the middle section. (The house seats approx. 1000) I only faded in and out, no equalization, bass boost, etc... This is the way the recording came out.

The Heifetzbass Demo Elephant

I had a couple of slips of the hand, but nothing too major and better last night than tonight! I do think it shows the bass in a good light. I did overplay in a couple of spots that rattled the strings on the fingerboard. I have my set up really low right now, and I wanted to find out how hard I could push and what it sounded like in the hall. (The other reason for the recording...) Just for context, this is a chamber orchestra with one bass. The pianos are set up on the front of the stage nose-to-nose, so I am actually behind piano 2. I think that is why the piano is a little "hot".

If anybody wants to hear any other kind of style, I can record something specific. PM me or post on here... I am not a jazzer, but I think I can fake enough to make it work.

Happy Listening,
    Brian

13. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    The more I read about your bass and look at it, the more I'm sure that I'd love it. I was talking to my teacher today about how I love basses that I don't need to take an endpin out of because it's so big.

... I wonder how this bass would be with gut strings and a Laborie endpin ...
    One can only dream.

14. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Nudge. :D

15. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Bump!

16. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    To the top!

17. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Doing a little "window shopping" this morning and saw this at Lemur:

Schuster Bros. Bass

There are some differences, like some of the intricate carvings on that bass, but the dimensions, string length, etc... are similar. My tuners are nicer! :D

The price is very different!

What a bargain!
    BG

18. timshel

timshel Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Tampa, Fl
    Brian- Can you call me at 813-713-2755? I'd like to discuss your bass. Thanks! Michael

19. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    +

20. Heifetzbass

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    +