The Hello Kitty Bass Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IamGroot, Dec 4, 2019.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I own a Music Man StingRay Ray 34 which plays/sounds very good. Its become my go-to-jam throw down bass.

I am thinking about customizing it to a Hello Kitty bass as a personal statement.

rBVaVF2QX_mAcYdYAAC0joSHDX8795.jpg
    The only mods I want are to paint the bass pink and add the kitty pick guard. Sort of like putting a big engine in a VW bug.

Is this doable and how much would it cost?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Doable, the pickguard is the tough part. Not sure how aggressive Hello Kitty is about licensing protection - they probably wouldn't come after you, but the threat keeps many custom part manufacturers away.

tindrum and IamGroot like this.
  3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I guess I will need to scour the internet and pawn shops for a Hello Kitty guitar for the pick guard.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Make sure to post a pic of the finished bass if you go ahead with it! I would love to see a Hello Kitty Stingray It should be either totally brilliant or the worst idea ever, lol! Cool idea and good luck! Can't help you with the pickguard though, it would probably have to be custom made by someone with a relaxed attitude to copyright... and would probably be outrageously expensive for a one-off. Buying a Hello Kitty guitar and stripping the pickguard would probably be less expensive but I'm not convinced it will be a good match for a Ray. Far too small + cut out for neck will be the wrong size.

Vinny_G likes this.
  5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Paw print fret markers could add a nice touch >^..^<

20191001_043317.jpg

Can I ask why you're inclined to go with something so mainstream (and copyrighted) as HK?

Why not use Pat's puss? Or one of the other 2(?) felines you share your property with?? They might be more difficult to accurately portray, but any tattoo shop that has an artist who specializes in portraiture may be willing to take on the project for less than an actual tattoo of the same image would cost.

Just throwing it out there, as I'd love to have a Chyna bass (our even a tattoo someday :rolleyes:)

FB_IMG_1574507706272.jpg

rickwebb, Reedt2000, BurnOut and 12 others like this.
  6. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

You can find NIB (non-Fender) Hello Kitty Catocasters in the 100 range out of Canada on eBay...

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    That guitar guard won’t fit your bass.

Get a sheet of guard material, then cut and paint yourself.

8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Anybody got some spare tort loaf they can cut a slice from?

HaphAsSard likes this.
  9. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
  10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    You may be able to find someone out there to 3D print you a pickguard in multiple colors, but they’d also have to design it from scratch so it wouldn’t be cheap.

11. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    You could trace your Stingray pickguard, add the ears/bow on top, and have someone cut it out... then find a sign shop that can cut vinyl for the color.

12. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    EatS1stBassist likes this.
  13. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    I can easily draw one for you, if you want ... or not. :unsure:

hello-kitty.jpg

14. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Don't do this.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

A Chyna bass would definitely kick some butt.

Chyna-wrestler-a.jpg

rtav, creaturegods, MYLOWFREQ and 5 others like this.
  16. It's less like putting a big engine in a VW bug and more like slapping a huge wing on the back of it! ;)

17. There are places where they'll make you a pickguard in any shape, with any design. It shouldn't be a problem, you're not setting up a shop selling them. It's no different from going to a print shop and getting the image printed to be framed.

Places like this (this is in the UK though):

SCRATCH-IT! – CUSTOM SCRATCHPLATES & PICKGUARDS FOR GUITARS & BASSES

IamGroot likes this.
  18. Gringo Basso

Gringo Basso

Aug 26, 2016
    I wish Squier would make Hello Kitty Mustang guitars and basses - hell, I'd get one just to cheese off those "serious musicians" without a sense of humor. Plus it would look cool. I can see the Sting Ray working well if you get that pickguard cut right - good luck. It's a great concept!

19. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

You can always go the "Billy Sheehan", understated route...

SheehanSpookyCU.jpg

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

In the US it’s illegal for a commercial shop to knowingly duplicate a copyrighted work. Even as a custom one-off. Most places that could easily duplicate something like that will refuse to do it.

Winslow and catcauphonic like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021