1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The 'help find the one that got away' thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickyBass, Sep 8, 2008.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I thought that this might be fun. A good many of us have that 'one bass that got away.' Maybe if we all post pics of our dearly missed basses, someone could become reunited.

Tell us where you last had it, and any other info that may help.

Here's mine:

It's an early prototype 34" scale Lakland 5594. It has the smaller Bart pickups. It was super light weight. Maybe 7 1/2 lbs. The last I saw it was when I was boxing it up to send to The Low End to put out on consignment.

It has alot of wear and a tone of dings and dents.

CIMG3820.

CIMG3823.

CIMG3827.

Any info on it's where-abouts??

2. Or we could suck up all the bandwidth on the Internet. One of those two.:p

3. fruity2x

fruity2x

Jul 9, 2008
    well i think this is a great thread....and as soon as i can find a pix of my Yamaha Deluxe (that i cant even find a pix of the model ANYWHERE on the net) I will be posting it....i dont even care if i come across THE bass....just one like it.

I swear the negativity that goes on here sometimes!!!

good luck on finding your Lakland brother.

4. The ASAT in my avatar took a midnight walk through a smashed-out window in my car one night about two years ago... It was one of the OLD ASATs with Leo's signature on the body. Loads of buckle rash and hand wear. I've bought other ASATs to try to replace her, but none could...

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I lost a Ric in the 80's and tried to get that mojo back many times to no avail. Then, an '06 4003 showed up in my life, and washed away the pain. I won't let this one go without a fight.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    This is my old '76 Jazz. I got it for about $400 in Calgary, Alberta in 1999. It had a wooden pickguard and custom electronics. I rewired it with DiMarzio UltraJazz pickups and an Aguilar OPB-1. Man, did that thing sizzle!

After a year or three of use, I somehow got this idea that some other bass I had sounded better. :rolleyes: So I consigned it thru Bass Northwest. Probably a mistake. Pretty hard to replace this thing. Especially for the $600 or so I had into it!

76jazz.

7. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I bought this bass in 1986 from the original owner and in
    1988, like a fool, I traded it for a 1966 CAR Jazz bass that never sounded good and really didn't play that well.
    I was in a "vintage frenzy" at the time and let her get away. One of the best sounding basses I've ever owned and really was a sweet playing axe as well. The shop I traded it to in Newport, RI sold her to a guy who was in the US Navy band stationed there in Newport. It left town with him shortly thereafter. One of the biggest mistakes of my life. )-(

sabre1.

8. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I'm gonna commit the cardinal sin of TalkBass: my "one that got away" was a guitar.

Call it a pipe dream, but I am hoping to locate the exact guitar that was stolen from my apartment in Boston way back in 1980.

It is a wine-red Gibson ES-345-TD thinline semi-hollowbody, serial number 70418082.

This guitar was purchased new in 1978, and is for all practical purposes a factory stock ES-345, with gold plated hardware, dual humbucking pickups, Varitone rotary switch, stereo output jack, tune-o-matic bridge with metal string saddles, a trapeze tailpiece, rosewood fingerboard with dual parallelogram pearl inlays, etc.

The instrument was a Factory Second, probably due to some flaws in the finish, visible as several discolored streaks running adjacent to the strings just below the tailpiece (near the controls). The word "SECOND" was stamped on the back of the headstock, just below the serial number.

The gold plated tuning machines were slightly more substantial than the stock pearl-handled tuners used by Gibson at that time; these more closely resembled Schaller machines. (I’ve always assumed the upgraded tuning machines were added to compensate for the Factory Second status of the instrument.)

I’m not positive, but if memory serves the adhesive paper Gibson identification label, normally visible through the upper F-hole, has been removed (by me, probably in a fit of aesthetic discomfort).

As a stock 1978 ES-345-TD, I assume this instrument is hardly a desirable collector’s item. It does, however, hold significant sentimental value to me. (If you must know, it was a high school graduation present from my father. Boo-hoo!) After all these years I am finally in a position where I can afford to buy it back from its current owner at fair market value.

I will ask no self-incriminating questions. I will not seek any legal action. I would simply like to re-acquire the guitar which was stolen from me many years ago, and which means a lot to me. If you currently are in possession of this instrument, please consider selling it back to me. If you have any information as to the whereabouts of this guitar, please let me know.

I would greatly appreciate it, you’d be fulfilling a 28-year-old fantasy of mine, and you’d be supplying some good karma for the universe. Thanks. PM me if you have info.

I'd post a pic, but that'd probably result in the revokation of my TB card. :)

9. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Here is my axe that got away.

It might not seem like much but it was my first bass when I was 13 and I modded it when I was 15 or 16. It started out life as a stock Peavey T-20 but I installed 3 sets of EMG pickups in it. It had a J pickup at the bridge and it's hard to tell but there were 2 sets of P pickups on it also (one white and one black) with the white one in the middle and the black one closer to the neck. They were set up in a "U" shape. The lone white knob surrounded by black knobs was you guessed it, the volume control for the white pickup.

I traded it and a GK cabinet at a local Daddy's Music 11 years ago for something I can't even remember and probably don't even own anymore.

I wish I still had it for sentimental reasons. It was the bass my parents bought used for me and it is what paved the road to all these years of enjoyment as a bassist. I would love to have it back in my hands.

ry%3D320.

10. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Nicky,
    I saw a bass fitting that description at the Cherry Hill GC. Super light weight, X serial number, very played. Was that yours?

11. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    Lefty G&L SB-1, Gold metalflake w/ MOP pickguard. Man I would give way more than it's worth just to get that one back.

12. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Yup, that's the bass. It was a dream. Though it's probably gone for good.

13. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    That brown jazz looks great...

I had a Mexican PJ Special - the earlier one which was just passive before they put the 3band eq in them. 2tone burst, maple board and gold aluminium pickguard... was a fantastic bass that set up so low and clean... traded it for 1975 jazz which i loved but eventually sold because it was so heavy. Regretted doing the trade even at the time but i had no other option...

14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Id like to find my first Alembic... I got it when I was 14. I sold it to help me get my first smith...

This is the only pic I have of it, not sure the model... I might be able to dig up the insurance papers with the serial number on it...

Note the mullet:
    jasoncombo1-1.

I did find my very first bass, it was on ebay for $99, doubt it was the exact same one... but I decided I didnt want to bother...

it says GTX on the strap horn...
    jasonarvida1-1.

15. A 70's Gibson SG with single coils (looked like wide Melodymaker pickups), and had a bunch of slider switches. set up a lot like the Les Paul Recording model.
    I don't remember the model number, and have never seen another one like it.

Actually it didn't really sound all that good which is why I traded it off.

MM

16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I had a '96 Stingray 4 fretless in Natural swamp ash finish, a fraternal twin to the SR4 fretted I have today
    DSC_0594.

It sounded amazing. after about 2 years of ownership, I had the itch for a 5-string and traded it (plus about $200) for the G&L L2500 I have today:
    DSC_0593.

It's kind of a hard decision to say if I did the right thing or not, I love the G&L...one of the first L2500's in production S# B000948 and I'll never sell it unless it's a matter of living under a sturdy roof or in a cardboard box. But I sure do miss it...

17. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Black 1982 L-2000. Sold for $250 in 1985 at Coruso Music in New London, Ct. I still keep an eye out for it.

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    [​IMG]

First bass I made. Koa body, maple neck, rosewood board, quilted maple veneer on headstock, badass ii bridge, duncan hot stack pickups, duncan 3-band pre.

19. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    jackson-ps-5.

1995 Jackson PS-5 Performer ... Was my first real bass bought brand new from Philadelphia Music Company in 1996 and sold it in 2002 due to financial reasons .. I would even be happy with the same model

20. Holy crap, this is a pretty neat idea for a thread.