the "help me get the juice of my new crossover" thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Dec 24, 2004.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    ok, i got a new power amp, crossover and cabs, im experiences with all of that but the crossover, i know all the theory buty i never worked with one.

its a yamaha F1030, it seems to be a really good one, its made in japan and its heavy.

can you help me get the best resultu of it? im using it with a yamaha P3200 500+500 power amp, and a yamaha 1x18 cab and a SWR 2x10 cab. im going to get a SWR pre amp, but not for a while, so i tried my sansamp bass driver and my my Korg AX1B for preamps, im keeping the KORG, cause i like it better.

the controls in the crossover are:

MODE (2way-1/2way-2/3way)
    2x CROSSOVER (with 2 knobs each) the first 2 go from 250 to 1.5K Hz and the second 2 go from 2K to 8K Hz)

i asume i have to choose 2way-1. since im using only 1 cut, band when i choose that, only the first 2 crossover knobs are active, but i dont know what to choose there........

any input will be great!
    thancks guys and merry christmas
  2. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    also..... should i keep the 2 atenuators in my power amp to 0? and the atenuators in the crossover also? if i have clips in the power amp, should i use attenuation? or lower the input im sending to the amp?
  3. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    here i foud a pic of the sema one

4. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I would use the 2 way setting with the lows going to the 1x18 and the highs going to the 2x10.

Try starting with the lowest setting for the crossover point (in this case 250hz). Since most of your power needs to be in the low frequency, the lower the crossover point the better.
    In the future you might want to look for a crossover with a lower crossover point (say 100hz) to get a fuller sound of the 2x10.

I crossover my 18s between 50hz and 100hz with a rolls crossover:
    Its very small and usually goes for around $80.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'd adjust the input gains of the poweramp's 2 channels to give you a nice balance between the two cabinets. You might want to start with them halfway up as a starting point. You may find that you like the way the cabinets sound without the crossover, so try it for kicks.
  6. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    okm, thancks ill try that,

can you tell me how the knobs work? i mean, what exacltly i am doing when i choose the frequenciys at the crossover